Replacing Stock Headlight Bulbs with LED Bulbs

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

wondering if the stock filament bulbs (90/100w in my case) in the headlights and tail lights can be replaced with LED bulbs? If so, is there any real advantage to this on account of the reduce power draw etc? Note, I am not talking about replacing anything else, just the bulbs

Ameyam

Yes it can be replaced. I've done them. Power consumption reduces drastically. Also the light output is quick hence faster response time. If you are looking to change brake lights ensure that they are cool white and not bluish. Bluish colored LED have poor brightness.

For headlights you can't just change the bulbs. You need a LED driver for that.

Hi,

wondering if the stock filament bulbs (90/100w in my case) in the headlights and tail lights can be replaced with LED bulbs? If so, is there any real advantage to this on account of the reduce power draw etc? Note, I am not talking about replacing anything else, just the bulbs

Ameyam

Are there any LED bulbs out yet for the headlamps?

Thread Starter #4
Can you guys give more details

Does changing the lights out save fuel for example?

Ameyam

I doubt on why will changing buld increase FE?
This might increase life of battery since the drawing power is much lesser compared to stock bulbs

Yes, such bulbs are available. I doubt whether it will have high/low beam functionality. There is a LED Projector H4 Bulb available on Snapdeal/ebay for Rs.699 or something. I think it is worth a try. It has normal connectors like stock and the seller says that it is a plug-and-play item, no wiring change or driver needed. The light output was also brilliant (similar to HIDs, without a cutoff though) in the pictures.

Regarding advantages

1. Increased battery life - Due to decreased load on the battery, due to decreased power consumption (10/20W as opposed to the 55W bulb). It also implies lesser load on alternator (to charge the battery).

2. Increased visibility - Obvious due to better technology. The light output is normally white, better at night both in terms of looks and functionality.

3. Increased FE - As it puts a lesser load on the car's electronics, it does increase the fuel efficiency of the car. Lesser load on battery means lesser load on alternator means lesser load on the engine and finally, lesser fuel usage. Though the change would not be drastic. The more electronics you have, the lesser FE you get (very slight change though)

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
those bulbs are crap niku!
they not legal nor road optimized beam pattern.
also,.lack of cutoff means glare galore!

those bulbs are crap niku!
they not legal nor road optimized beam pattern.
also,.lack of cutoff means glare galore!
Yes, I know and that's the reason I am using P8 HIDs. Atleast, they offer a cutoff (though not comparable to stock) and do not blind the oncoming traffic.

Do the SMD LED bulbs have high-low beam functionality? Because they would have a cutoff, as they use the car's stock reflectors.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Yes, I know and that's the reason I am using P8 HIDs. Atleast, they offer a cutoff (though not comparable to stock) and do not blind the oncoming traffic.

Do the SMD LED bulbs have high-low beam functionality? Because they would have a cutoff, as they use the car's stock reflectors.
Reflectors/ lens are precision devices. The Filament and Reflector designs are aligned in such a way that the reflector collects and re- aims the Light rays to generate Light beam, Cutoff and other properties.

Any Change in Light source (Eg Halogen to LED or HID) can cause these alignments to disturb (LED dosen't look like a filament to me!) and causes glare and useless beam pattern and light is not going where it should.

Top Bottom