New Tyres For Chevrolet Spark

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to Automotive India and very happy to join here. I have a Chevy Spark that has done 35k. It has stock MRF ZVTS 155/70 R13 and they were pretty good till now.

Daily run of around 25-30 kms Now I am encountering lot of punctures in 2-3 of them which is happening at regular intervals. Hence I am planning to get the tyres replaced as well as thinking on putting alloy wheels on them. I am also thinking of an upgrade to get better handling. [:)]

Hence can you please suggest which tyres will be the best for them. I am getting 12800 for Good Year Ducaro and 13500 for Bridgestone for set of 4 tyres. I am considering the Good Year over Bridgestone. Although I haven't enquired much about others. [confused]

Please share your opinion on the same.

Regards
Souvik Jana

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #3
I went to N Mehta Tyres near Nashik Phata in Pune and they said Michellin will be the best. They checked my stock MRF Tyres and said MRF has a life of 30-32k only and my tyres have lived their life. They offerred 14k for set of 4 tyres.

I came back and tried hard braking on good roads. I am still going from 60-0 in 1-2 secs and I am still not finding enough skidding. Since MRF are tyres made for rough roads I am sure they should have gone beyond 40k. However they are Michellin Priority Dealers hence would definitely take another opinion.

Michellins tyres have softer compound which is not good for bad roads..so go for them if you mostly drive on good roads. On the other hand you can go for bridgestone tyres. I have recently installed them on my spark and are offering pretty decent performance over the stock Apollo ones.

Thread Starter #5
Any ideas about Apollo Amazer 3G.. I got an offer of 11k on a set of 4 at Apollo Dealership.. The person said they are very good tyres which offer good grip and comfort.. I asked for Acelere since they were the latest ones but the dealer said there is not much difference between the two and Amazer will be better for Spark..

The tyre had good threads and it really felt good... Considering this as well...[:)]

Thread Starter #7
Ya even I have heard good reviews regarding Yokohama. But I am not aware regarding any Yokohama Supplier shops. They probably use various dealers. But can you please let me know how much they cost you for the set of 4 and are you still using 155/70 or upgraded to 165/65?

Thread Starter #8
Today one more dealer recommended the new Continental CC5. They are launched in India in Nov this year and they will be made in Modipuram only. They have said that these tyres are very good for Indian roads esp on bad roads. I also came to know that the XM2 is bad on bad roads [cry]. Although these tyres cost almost same as the Michelin XM2 but the CC5 has better sidewalls than the XM2 thus less prone to damage. [:)]

But since they are new in the market, there aren't many reviews on the tyres. The initial reviews are good and positive. We will come to know the long term reviews in the near future. I am considering them now as my daily commute involves bad roads and these tyres should be able to take them head on (at least as per the dealer).

Anyone having any experience with the CC5 can share their view.

Im Using Yokohama tires for my car. No complaints for the past 1 year [:)]
I have heard the the Yokos are now made in China and lot of them are turning out bad. In another forum someone also put a pic where the Yoko tyre blasted and a part of it just came off [cry]. It actually put off my faith in the Yokos.

I am planning to get the tyres replaced as well as thinking on putting alloy wheels on them. I am also thinking of an upgrade to get better handling
Since you are going for alloys + new tyres, I would suggest 14" with wider tyres (14" has better choices than 13")

Michelin / Yokohama tyres are made from relatively soft compounds and they offer better ride characteristics & FE. On the negative side they tend to wear sooner.

BS / Apollo / GY offer balanced characteristics.

Choose the tyres based on your driving environment & pattern.

Since MRF are tyres made for rough roads I am sure they should have gone beyond 40k
Tyre life depends on many parameters. Anything over 30k can be considered as end of life.

PS: Consider two tyres 155/70R13 & 196/60R15 from same compound & construction. Out of these 2, the later will have better life. Reason being No. of revolutions per km will be less on bigger (in dia) tyres and hence lesser wear.

Thread Starter #10
Since you are going for alloys + new tyres, I would suggest 14" with wider tyres (14" has better choices than 13")

Michelin / Yokohama tyres are made from relatively soft compounds and they offer better ride characteristics & FE. On the negative side they tend to wear sooner.

BS / Apollo / GY offer balanced characteristics.

Choose the tyres based on your driving environment & pattern.

Tyre life depends on many parameters. Anything over 30k can be considered as end of life.

PS: Consider two tyres 155/70R13 & 196/60R15 from same compound & construction. Out of these 2, the later will have better life. Reason being No. of revolutions per km will be less on bigger (in dia) tyres and hence lesser wear.
Thanks for your advises. I have decided to go with Continental CC5 [:D]. They are good new tyres in the market having solid compound due to which they should last long than the XM2 on the Bad Roads. Also I will be one of the first customers to be getting them. I was initially considering Apollo and getting a good deal but came to know Apollo also dont last long on bad roads.

Also I have already ordered the alloys a week back and unfortunately they are 13". Nonetheless I am sure new alloys along with the new tyres will make a huge difference in my ride. Will post pics of the same once done. [glasses]

Thanks everyone for your advises.. [clap]

Thanks
Souvik Jana..

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Michellins tyres have softer compound which is not good for bad roads..so go for them if you mostly drive on good roads. On the other hand you can go for bridgestone tyres. I have recently installed them on my spark and are offering pretty decent performance over the stock Apollo ones.
Every dealer whom I spoke with suggested not to go with BS. One of my friend got the S322 as Stock on his new Alto K10 and within 1 year he has already got 3-4 punctures in them [frustration]. I also recieved very negetive feedback on S322 on a lot of forums. Can you please let me know which tyres you are using.

^^^
What tire size are you getting? Can you share the cost of tires and alloys aswell?
Since my alloys are 13", the dealer suggested to go with 155/70 which is the default one. Although he will further comment when he will see the alloys.

He has suggested that if possible 165/65 upgrade will give better handling and braking. But he cant confirm that without seeing the alloys.

I got the alloys from Snapdeal.com for around Rs 12,424 for set of 4. I asked in the market before and I was not getting anything below Rs 16,500. Expecting delivery of the alloys tomorrow.

I am getting the tyres at Anand Trading Corporation located on Pune-Mumbai Old Highway at Dapodi, Pune. The person is very informative. He was initially suggesting the XM2 but when I said that lot of my driving happens on bad roads immediately rejected them and told me to got for CC5. He only told me that they were launched recently in India and are esp made for bad roads. He is charging Rs 13,800 for set of 4 plus Rs 100 per valve for 4 valves. So total Rs 14,200. Fitting, Nitrogen and Wheel Balancing free of cost.

If you are planning for alloys, upgrade them to 14", this may help in FE and good ground clearance. Also you can get better choice in 14" tyres.

Michelin, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Continental are better choice to have. All you need to do is find the kind of tyre you wish to fit on your car [ex : low profile, wide, smooth, asymmetrical, unidirectional etc.]

Michelin XM2 is better choice if you drive on normal roads.

You can try 175/65 R14 [Yokohama E1] a little upgrade size than the recommended upgrade [around 4% in circumference].

Some recommended upgrade below,

Attachments

Thread Starter #14
If you are planning for alloys, upgrade them to 14", this may help in FE and good ground clearance. Also you can get better choice in 14" tyres.

Michelin, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Continental are better choice to have. All you need to do is find the kind of tyre you wish to fit on your car [ex : low profile, wide, smooth, asymmetrical, unidirectional etc.]

Michelin XM2 is better choice if you drive on normal roads.

You can try 175/65 R14 [Yokohama E1] a little upgrade size than the recommended upgrade [around 4% in circumference].

Some recommended upgrade below,
Yup. I totally agree with you. But I have already ordered alloys last week before I put this post and unfortunately they are 13". Hence I cant change it now to 14". [cry]

But hopefully the new tyres along with new alloys give good ride. I will post review of the same after some days for sure.

Thread Starter #15
Finally the new alloys and tyres been put in my Spark... I only got time on Sunday so Anand Trading Corporation was closed.. In fact most of the shops were closed.. Thankfully one shop S R Enterprises was open in Pimpri.. He quoted 3400 per tyre for CC5 with everything else free.. [:D]

They look awesome in my opinion... [clap]

Attachments

Top Bottom