Free Flow Exhaust for Diesel Cars.

Thread Starter #1
Here i would like to know how free flow exhaust work for diesel cars.
What i have heard till now is the Turbo on diesel vehicles need a certain amount of back pressure to work properly & hence the stock exhaust is optimized to give its best.

So all the while i had been telling my friend who owns a Indica diesel & wanted a sportier sound that it cant be done on a diesel vehicle.But as aditya said it can be done i have made this topic to discuss more about it like the cost,effects,etc.[:)]

Neil
I think the cost of an FFE is the same as that of petrol cars.As you said stock exhaust is optimized to give its best,it is done so for Fuel efficiency and not performance.Hence getting an Aftermarket FFE and tuning up the Turbo and wastegate settings will increase the cars performance.

But for the sportier sound i think all you have to do is change the endcan of the exhaust (correct me if i am wrong).[clap]

Thread Starter #4
Looks like no 1 is interested for tuning diesel rides[;)]
Ya man.Well i just called up a guy here in Pune who makes custom exhaust.Told him about my friends India diesel,he said he will need to change the expansion chamber & muffler.Dint talk much because had just called to get his address.Will meet him in few days & let you know.

Ya man.Well i just called up a guy here in Pune who makes custom exhaust.Told him about my friends India diesel,he said he will need to change the expansion chamber & muffler.Dint talk much because had just called to get his address.Will meet him in few days & let you know.
Thats good,it'll take care of the Sound of the exhaust but you'll have to tune your tubro as well.
Keep Us informed,waiting for your next update buddy[:D]

The topic can be changed to tuning diesel engines.

1.Turbo charging

2. Tuning the diesel pump. A good overhauler's work.

3.Free flow exhaust , it reduce the back pressure in turbo. You will be disqualified in emission test if you remove the catalytic converter in this process.
This back pressure develops a resistance that the piston faces to force the exhaust gasses out and in a way a good way for an engine to loose power.

4.In a common rail diesel, the engine is controlled via a ECU . Tuning this with pete's box helps a lot

5.K&N Performance Air Filter

6.Headers -A header does a good job of additionally ‘succking’ more exhaust from the engine combustion chamber ,so on the next intake there is more fresh air to burn.

Headers with smaller ,longer primaries will give a better economy and better drivability. whereas one with smaller length primaries and larger primaries will be high revving

Apart from this you have performance clutches.

Every thing has its own types. Fix only the right thing which suits your car the best.

Thread Starter #7
Brother we know all this, but the thing is how will the car be for daily use after sporting all the above mods(except a few).Its a costly affair.People buy diesel cars so that its light on their pocket.Buying a petrol & doing the above mods is more sensible.

But people always like to experiment,so if anyone wants to try the above or have tried we would love to hear you experiences.[:)]

@Neil: I have read in another forum that FFE is not advisable for Diesel cars, but still a innova diesel was tuned with a custom built FFE and the review stated that the performance was good. But i would prefer to instal a Pete's box for diesel and change the end can with remus or Magnaflow so that i get the power as well as the sound...

@Neil: I have read in another forum that FFE is not advisable for Diesel cars, but still a innova diesel was tuned with a custom built FFE and the review stated that the performance was good. But i would prefer to instal a Pete's box for diesel and change the end can with remus or Magnaflow so that i get the power as well as the sound...
ilango[speed thirst];2461 said:
Pete tuning box can be used for our need. For economy tune it for more milage.

Headers and free flow exhaust do increase your milage.
Guys Neil's friend only wants his Indica to sound sportier and nothing else.
So adjustments to the expansion chamber and muffler will do the trick.

Pete's in Mumbai has people with limited automobile knowlegde.
They desperately want to sell Pete's Tuning Boxes.
I called him up for Muth Mirrors and he's asking me you have a Petrol Zen Estilo or a Diesel one [shock]

Thread Starter #11
Guys Neil's friend only wants his Indica to sound sportier and nothing else.
So adjustments to the expansion chamber and muffler will do the trick.

Pete's in Mumbai has people with limited automobile knowlegde.
They desperately want to sell Pete's Tuning Boxes.
I called him up for Muth Mirrors and he's asking me you have a Petrol Zen Estilo or a Diesel one [shock]
[lol]

Hey renegade isn't the pete's box just another piggiback ?

I will not recommend freeflow for Diesel if its turbo charged.

^^^
Pete's box is a piggy back.
I don't know why people are crazy about petes. Its made by PSI of belgium. Pete's just the authorised importer.

People are spending a lot on it. and the power gain is just a feel good factor.

I must say, Skoda can be very well tuned with a VAG cable and software. But you should know what you are fiddling or you will mess of the ECU badly.
Only best thing about a pete is that it can be fitted by anyone

Thread Starter #13
I will not recommend freeflow for Diesel if its turbo charged.

^^^
Pete's box is a piggy back.
I don't know why people are crazy about petes. Its made by PSI of belgium. Pete's just the authorised importer.

People are spending a lot on it. and the power gain is just a feel good factor.

I must say, Skoda can be very well tuned with a VAG cable and software. But you should know what you are fiddling or you will mess of the ECU badly.
Only best thing about a pete is that it can be fitted by anyone
I would like to know why wouldn't you recommend a FFE for diesel turbo [confused]

& About the tuning box,yes we know Pete's is just a importer. But the thing is " The tuning box does improve the Performance "

These tuning boxes either increase the fuel pressure or pulse timing. So why do you think the increase in power is just a feel good factor & not actually the performance [confused]

I agree that remaps work better but then for people who care about the warranty and all its just a great product.

Even RD tuning boxes are out now & they are cheaper than Pete's.

i wish to know how much different is petes box and ecu reprogramming. afaik petes overrides the default ecu outputs.

hope gurus can enlighten me!!

Hi all,

Well, this is my first post and its a query. I own a Swift VDi (old version) and I, like a few other diesel car owners, did search for an exhaust for my car. I was put down by all of them by saying that a diesel car's exhaust can be changed but that change is going to do no good to the car's performance or the sound [sad], adding to it they also said that there can be a possibility of too much smoke emission too. If that the case then why is it called a FREE FLOW EXHAUST?? [confused] . And now I'm here with still a little hope left in me for some modification in exhaust to work towards all diesel cars' performance and sound boost. As heard and read Air filters do good to the performance of the diesel car but I'm not certain of the sound though.

Need THE EXPERTS to though some light on EXHAUST mods for a DIESEL CAR to enhance PERFORMANCE and SOUND.

**I'm DESPERATE - my car wants to sound out loud but it being a diesel car has been devoid of it... [cry] HELP..!! **

Top Bottom