Compilation of Essential and Pocket Friendly Convenience Modifications

Thread Starter #1
Whenever there is talk of modifications, all anyone can talk about are the bold, flashy mods like race-car graphics, new alloys, sunroofs and wallet-busting projector headlamps. Spare a thought for the more sedate enthusiast who likes the car as it rolled off the assembly line, but wants to add some nips and tucks here and there to improve its convenience features or drivability.

I’d like to make this thread a compilation of suggestions for all modifications which fit this criteria, and gladly welcome suggestions.

Here’s the list (from my own imagination):

• Rear view camera: Ideally integrated with the IRVM (internal rear view mirror) or media display, and capable of night vision.
  • Front and rear parking sensors: I find parking sensors to be even more essential than the camera, because looking at the camera distracts you from what is in front and on the sides of the vehicle. We usually ignore front parking sensors because they aren’t included by default, but I think they are very helpful. (Admittedly, I have not had them installed yet, but I plan to. Any feedback on this would be welcomed.)
  • Auto-closing windows: The car should automatically roll up its windows when you lock it. It’s a basic mod that, I think, should be added to every car. I have it on mine and love it.
  • Tire pressure monitor: I’m looking to add an aftermarket tire pressure monitor that shows the pressure somewhere inside the cabin, neatly integrated. I welcome suggestions.
  • Suspension buffers: I bought a set of four rubber suspension buffers from a guy in Mumbai (let me know if anyone wants details) that slot into one of the coils of the suspension spring and reduces its compression, thus resulting in a stiffer, more controlled driving experience. It is a must for cars with very soft suspension setups, like my Hyundai Fluidic Verna 2012.

I would love to add to this list, based on suggestions from you guys. Hopefully, we can turn this thread into a useful, unique resource. Please chime in.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Here’s the list (from my own imagination):

• Auto-closing windows: The car should automatically roll up its windows when you lock it. It’s a basic mod that, I think, should be added to every car. I have it on mine and love it.
  • Suspension buffers: I bought a set of four rubber suspension buffers from a guy in Mumbai It is a must for cars with very soft suspension setups, like my Hyundai Fluidic Verna 2012.
Good Initiative dear. Can you please share here the price for the above two quoted products?

I would say SMD LED Parking bulbs, Bumper Guards (much cheaper than placing PPF on bumper edges), Smoking of tail lamps and side markers, Door moldings, Window Visors, without LED scuff Plates for all doors, i-pop door guards, neck-pillows for front seats, i-pop steering knob (personally i find it as a obstruction though have seen many cars with it) and a pair of DRLs available online with starting price approx INR 250/-.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
My opinion will be,

Rear View Camera (comes) with Rear Parking Sensor <- A very essential Gadget / Modification need for every modern days car (read Thick C Pillar Car),

On the other hand Front Parking Sensor not so essential all time unless it's Big Bonnet - High Dash - Low Seating (Driver) Car. If the Front sensor is equipped there must be OFF switch when user can turn off the system in need else it will be permanent irritation for long B2B traffic in city.

Little OT,

Respected Thread Owner, aryayush

Are you the same person who regularly hang around a Tech Magazine forum 8-9 years ago and post many stuff ? [:)]

If yes, I must say - I really enjoyed those debates & long post. [clap]

bhvm

Honoured Member
some essentials-
mobile charger.
permanent sunglasses you can keep in car.
perfume
floor mats
led drls
reflective stickers in front and back
roof rack
5ltr fuel can and free bottles of water.
Swiss knife /tool kit
tyre mending kit.

Sory to have bumped in and changed the topic however was going through the net and found this
Raised wing type rear spoilers (deletion) - permalink
Sure, the dealer or that go-fast kid on the corner might've convinced you that spoilers are good for downforce, but in reality, most are merely a cosmetic addition - one that is more likely to add drag than it is to do anything meaningful for handling.

Take it off and your car will not only look stock, but it'll have better aerodynamics.

It isn't always obvious whether a particular spoiler style is an aero help or hindrance. For discussion, see the thread, below.
How to decide whether to remove rear spoiler to decrease drag, improve mileage
This question has come up a number of times: "Does a rear spoiler lower my mileage?"

I'm wondering if we can come up with a few guidelines about whether or not to advise rear spoiler / wing deletes, considering that ....
  • some OEM spoilers reduce both drag & lift:

• others are designed to reduce lift at the expense of increased drag;

• and still others increase drag solely for the happiness of their owners and the joy they bring their viewing audience:

Also consider that while some OEM & aftermarket wings & spoilers improve high speed stability, the type of person who is going to remove a spoiler to increase efficiency probably doesn't drive at speeds where reducing rear lift is an issue.

Generally speaking, I'd say that spoilers which extend the decklid, or sit flush on top of it at a shallow angle should be left on. These are the style typically added to high efficiency vehicles to promote clean flow separation, or to enable flow reattachment at the end of a 3 box shape:

The Renault Logan Eco2 sported a deck lip extension and other mods to increase FE.

Honda Civic Hybrid has a rear spoiler not found on the non-hybrid version.

Is it reasonable to say that spoilers (wings) that stand off the rear deck should be deleted for better mileage?

EG:

Attached Thumbnails

Source:65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #8
I’m sorry I have not been able to update the first post yet, but I’ll do try to get to it tomorrow or on Sunday. You guys have made my job slightly difficult by not writing descriptions for any of the mods, so I’ll appreciate it if you could add that.

Apart from the above mentioned things, I guess spoiler would also be good enough, but only for rear wheel drive cars, as it will provide some down-force, giving more traction to the rear wheels. Cost could start from 1k INR, for very basic-simple spoiler.
For front wheel drive cars, spoilers are simply useless..!! Instead, get a custom body-kit with nice front bumper to do the same job as of spoiler, but you may need to spend quite a price for that.
Also, if someone is looking for suspension buffers (as mentioned by aryayush; big thumbs up from my side) in Pune, please feel free to contact me. There are many advantages, trust me.
About 2 months ago, I have installed the same on my swift (2010 model), and the experience was simply awesome [glasses] on the way back to Pune from Mumbai, with comfort and stability [:D])

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #10
Respected Thread Owner, aryayush

Are you the same person who regularly hang around a Tech Magazine forum 8-9 years ago and post many stuff ? [:)]
Yes. Wherever you see “aryayush” or “Aayush Arya” on the Internet, it’s a safe bet that it’s me.

If yes, I must say - I really enjoyed those debates & long post. [clap]
Thank you! Those were the days! I don’t find time anymore to contribute that voluminously to forums anymore, but I do enjoy it whenever I can. I’m glad you remember my posts on the Digit Forum. :)

——————————

It looks like I cannot edit my first post, so this will just have to be a normal thread. Makes my job easier. ;)

Here are another couple of suggestions:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS): It’s a set of four sensors that attach to the inside walls of your car’s tires and communicates wirelessly with a digital readout attached to your dashboard. As the name suggests, it gives a live update on the pressure readings from each tire, and helps avoid and plan for a flat tire. Sounds very helpful, and I’m trying to get it installed (which is proving difficult in the city I live in).

Automatic Headlamps and Wipers: Called Rain Tracker, it’s a sensor that discreetly attaches to your windscreen and, after doing some advanced level wiring connections, gives you automatic headlamps and wipers. It’s a fantastic device and instantly makes your car much more awesome. I’ve found a distributor in Kolkata but it does not seem to be very interested in selling this device to me. :(

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Good Initiative dear. Can you please share here the price for the above two quoted products?
The auto window closer from RD cost me ₹1,800, with installation. If your car has a request sensor on the door, make sure you get it wired to it instead of the remote control. I had to insist on it and the installer had to call his senior from another part of the city to do it, but I wasn’t about to limit the utility of my car’s awesome keyless entry feature for this mod. Now I press the request sensor to lock the car and the windows roll up beautifully. [clap]

The suspension buffers cost me ₹4,000 (for a four-piece set) and ₹300 for shipping from Mumbai. If you want it, call Darryl at +91 98210-47448. He’s a very friendly and knowledgeable guy, and manufactures it himself. Do mention this forum. :)

Last edited:
cool aryayush.. could you please post some pics to show how suspension buffers looks after installing

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
cool aryayush.. could you please post some pics to show how suspension buffers looks after installing
Sure thing. It’ll take me a while to get it installed though. One of my car’s rear shockers is leaking and the torsion axle is out of shape and is being replaced under warranty. The parts will arrive in my city near the end of next week, and I plan to get the buffers installed after the suspension is fixed.

Thread Starter #15
If anyone here is on the fence about the buffers, trust me, take the plunge. At a mere ₹4,300, it is the most fantastic upgrade you can make to your Fluidic Verna. I’ve only gotten the rear buffers installed right now and already it’s a much better ride than before. It does not even feel like the same car in terms of driving dynamics. I went over massive potholes and bumpers and drove it at high speeds on well paved roads, and the car stayed perfectly in line and had very little of the bounciness that I’ve gotten so used to (and scared of). I intend to get the front ones installed on Monday and can’t wait to experience it after that. I’ll create a proper review thread in the accessories section once it is done.

Last edited:

Top Bottom