Toyota Corolla 2003 Restoration

Thread Starter #1
Dear fellow TAIgers,

While I have already booked a Honda Amaze VX-AT (detailed out in another thread) and am awaiting delivery sometime in Nov this year, I laid my hands on our Corolla 2008 (white) manual which had been parked for a few months and was neglected since the Altis had come home. Much to my surprise, even after clocking a lac km's, the car still behaves really well and has hardly any issues that I can point out.

A thought of restoring it and using it for another 2-3 years or so has cropped up instead of going in for the Amaze. This is just a thought though and am still holding my booking with Honda. Would need comments / suggestions on the practicality, pricing, et all on the above.

What I feel the car needs:

1. Complete painjob - Either same colour or a nice matt paint
  2. Complete interior restoration with leather / faux leather and advanced detailing
  3. Upgradation of tyres and alloys (maybe the alloys can be just painted)
  4. ICE - DVD Touch HU, Comp's and co-ax with a sub and amp
  5. Projector headlights with HID and rear LED lamps
  6. Suspension work - I dont think this is required right now, but maybe in a few thousand km's more

I'v been wanting to drive a customised car since I'v taken note of DC and Autopsyche thereafter. Thus, exploring this option as an alternate to a new car.

Re: Corolla 2008 restoration

Dear fellow TAIgers,

While I have already booked a Honda Amaze VX-AT (detailed out in another thread) and am awaiting delivery sometime in Nov this year, I laid my hands on our Corolla 2008 (white) manual which had been parked for a few months and was neglected since the Altis had come home. Much to my surprise, even after clocking a lac km's, the car still behaves really well and has hardly any issues that I can point out.

A thought of restoring it and using it for another 2-3 years or so has cropped up instead of going in for the Amaze. This is just a thought though and am still holding my booking with Honda. Would need comments / suggestions on the practicality, pricing, et all on the above.
I would say it would be better if you could use your Corolla for 2-3 years and later sell it off and get a better car than Amaze (not that it is a bad car but you could get your hands on a 10 Lac rupee car). Cars would always depreciate and I bet, if you're an enthusiast, you will love the time you spend on bringing the Corolla back to glory.

What I feel the car needs:

1. Complete painjob - Either same colour or a nice matt paint
  2. Complete interior restoration with leather / faux leather and advanced detailing
  3. Upgradation of tyres and alloys (maybe the alloys can be just painted)
  4. ICE - DVD Touch HU, Comp's and co-ax with a sub and amp
  5. Projector headlights with HID and rear LED lamps
  6. Suspension work - I dont think this is required right now, but maybe in a few thousand km's more
I'v been wanting to drive a customised car since I'v taken note of DC and Autopsyche thereafter. Thus, exploring this option as an alternate to a new car.
My replies point wise:
1> A paint job would be a nice idea to start with. Matt finishes would look swell but would be a pain to clean. I think you should opt for a Pearl White or some Royal Black color. Which color is the car currently in?
2> I think this would cost a bomb (I'm not sure though). Throwing in a Carputer and Stanley Leather (with some Ambient lighting also) would be decent I think. You can get the interiors thoroughly cleaned up to get better finish.
3> If you like the design and size of the current alloys, then you can simply paint them in your car theme. Else, get +1 inch rims with some nice rubber and you're good to go. Cost depends on the brand here.
4> ICE would be a crucial part. Put in a subwoofer (around 10k), a mono amp (around 8k) and a 4 Ch Amp (around 10k), Components (around 7k) for front and Coax (around 5k) for the rear would be a good idea, in addition to a Pioneer DVD Touch Screen HU (around 30k). I personally feel spending on ICE is not as bad as spending on paint jobs and leather seats as you can always take the ICE to your next car! Give this a thought and then decide your ICE budget.
5> You can get projector headlamps and LED tails for around 40k total. If you visit Karol Bagh by any chance, you can get projectors retrofitted at around 5000 for both the headlights including all the charges. Think about it! You would not get LED tails there though.
6> You should always keep some money spare for a car that has covered 1 Lac kms as anything can go wrong (regarding maintenance) and replacing it would make a hole in your pocket.

I personally feel that you should fix a budget for everything and then decide the money you are willing to spend. For example, a budget of 60k for ICE, 50k for paint job and exterior repairs, 50k reserve for any problem that might crop up, 50k for Alloys and tyres, 25k for interior refurbishing and 25k for projectors and tail lamps (if you visit Karol Bagh and other cheaper options). So, you would have to spend 2.5 Lac on the car, this way.

Also keep in mind that you don't spend unnecessarily as you would have to sell the car within 4-5 years and would get a lower resale value than you are getting now. Be sure to get the engine and mechanicals thoroughly checked before finalising anything and continue only if the parts are in a decent healthy condition. Do post pics of the car, I would be able to suggest better.[:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: Corolla 2008 restoration

I would say it would be better if you could use your Corolla for 2-3 years and later sell it off and get a better car than Amaze (not that it is a bad car but you could get your hands on a 10 Lac rupee car).Well, this makes me laugh cz i'v had enough of brainstorming on this and had with great difficulty and compromise settled for Amaze, which is costing me about 9.2 lacs (almost 10 lacs). But, point well taken. Would probably go in for City or whatever new entrants there are 2-3 years down the line if i settle for restoring the Corolla. Cars would always depreciate and I bet, if you're an enthusiast, you will love the time you spend on bringing the Corolla back to glory.Agreed!
Thanks for the comprehensive response buddy. Will keep you and the others posted on the developments as they happen.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #5
Re: Toyota Corolla 2008 Restoration

Hello again TAIgers!

Firstly, accept apologies for the typo on the thread. The vehicle in question is a Toyota Corolla 2003 model and not 2008. Mods may correct this if possible.

Coming to the point. The vehicle has just returned from MGF Toyota after a thorough run through. The advise given by Toyota has got me thinking on whether to carry out this restoration or not.

Following are the required repairs:

1.Power Steering Gear Assembly - I have no clue whatsoever this means. But I was told that this particular part has developed leakage and needs replacement. This is the major part and change of which is a shocker.
2.Central Locking actuators (3 nos).
3.Weather Moldings on all 4 windows
4.Front HL's (L&R) - This was my request. The HL's are scratched and need replacement.
5.Front RHS suspension bearing (ball) - Squeaky and rattling noises on uneven surfaces at slow speeds (<30kmph).
6.Both front seats - LOL. I had merely requested that the seats be tightened so that the seat back does not wobble when pushed with a gentle hand. However, Toyota is of the view that the seats need replacement for this issue. - This seems like formatting a computer in which one cant diagnose the problem.

Anyway, the bill raised for this entire work is about 1.16 lacs and a timeline of 3 days. This is not only sent my budget for toss but also has got me thinking if I should use the car a bit more or just dispose it off.

Points 1-5 definately need replacement. I can make do with slightly wobbly seats and wouldnt wanna change them for 30k.

Queries:
A.Can't point 1 be rectified instead of being replaced?
B.Instead of replacing the central locking actuators, can I not get a new central locking (with remote) fixed? Would it not come with actuators? (I dont currently have a remote on the car.)
C.How can i get assurance of no major failure taking place in the near future in the life of the vehicle?

Quick reply from you guys would help me make apt decisions!! Cheers.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I would suggest you to check for the above listed repairs with Carnation. As it is the warranty of the vehicle has ended so taking a 2nd opinion wont be a bad idea. At the same time, if the estimates of Toyota ASC and that of Carnation don't lead to any significant difference in amount then it is advisable to get the car re-valuated both at ASC and Carnation.

Regards

Akash

Firstly, accept apologies for the typo on the thread. The vehicle in question is a Toyota Corolla 2003 model and not 2008. Mods may correct this if possible.
Well, that's a turning point in the story![lol]
Now I'm strictly of the view that you MUST sell off the car and get your hands on the Amaze. Since it is already 11 year old, I don't think much value would be left no matter what condition it is in. Plus, trouble might crop up anytime and it isn't a wise thing to replace major parts in a 11 year old car that you might have to sell anytime. The resale would go further down and the car might need major chunk of money that you could spend for the new car.

Coming to the point. The vehicle has just returned from MGF Toyota after a thorough run through. The advise given by Toyota has got me thinking on whether to carry out this restoration or not.

Following are the required repairs:

1.Power Steering Gear Assembly - I have no clue whatsoever this means. But I was told that this particular part has developed leakage and needs replacement. This is the major part and change of which is a shocker.
4.Front HL's (L&R) - This was my request. The HL's are scratched and need replacement.
5.Front RHS suspension bearing (ball) - Squeaky and rattling noises on uneven surfaces at slow speeds (<30kmph).
6.Both front seats - LOL. I had merely requested that the seats be tightened so that the seat back does not wobble when pushed with a gentle hand. However, Toyota is of the view that the seats need replacement for this issue. - This seems like formatting a computer in which one cant diagnose the problem.
There goes your plan of refurbishing the Toyota! A bill of 1 Lac plus is simply frustrating. Add to it, painting, tyre, ICE and miscellaneous charges and you would end up spending 3 Lac on a 11 year old car, with 1 Lac clicks on the odo and STILL, No peace of mind! Refurbishing just doesn't make any sense, according to me.

Anyway, the bill raised for this entire work is about 1.16 lacs and a timeline of 3 days. This is not only sent my budget for toss but also has got me thinking if I should use the car a bit more or just dispose it off.
Advertise it online and try to get maximum value for your car. Also, do consider City instead of spending around 10 Lac on a compact sedan, just a suggestion (No offence meant).

Points 1-5 definately need replacement. I can make do with slightly wobbly seats and wouldnt wanna change them for 30k.

Queries:
B.Instead of replacing the central locking actuators, can I not get a new central locking (with remote) fixed? Would it not come with actuators? (I dont currently have a remote on the car.)
C.How can i get assurance of no major failure taking place in the near future in the life of the vehicle?
A. I have no idea about mechanical parts of the car. Experts may comment here.
B. A central locking would cost under 5-6k from a brand like Autocop. What is the quote for actuators in the bill given by Toyota?
C. This is the point I am wanting to explain. You can't have assurance that no major failures take place in the future. No peace of mind.

Thread Starter #8

OKay, here are a few pics of the exterior as requested. Maybe this helps changes viewpoints again [confused]

Interior is as stock as it can be. However, its not the asthetics that I am worried about.
Looking for some expert views here on the rack and pinion steering gear change. Have heard of only the "power steering fluid seal" being changed to cure the leak instead of replacing the whole assembly as suggested by Toyota-ASS.

Attachments

Akash1886

Honoured Member

here are a few pics of the exterior as requested. Have heard of only the "power steering fluid seal" being changed to cure the leak instead of replacing the whole assembly as suggested by Toyota-ASS.
I would recommend you to go to Carnation. Be it any ASC, they won't change the seal/ or do a needful repair itself rather they would talk of whole assembly to be changed since they earn from it. Where in Delhi are you residing buddy. Will be easier for me to suggest a good shop and probably meet you to understand the issues in person.

Regards

Akash

Hi Zenn.

The exterior condition looks okay as there is no obvious rusting on the body panels (fenders especially) and the scratches are okay (I'm not saying they are good!) for a 10+ year old car. I assume that you normally maintain your cars in top shape, and I hope I'm correct.

I would suggest you to give the car for evaluation at Toyota dealership. Since the Toyota U Trust usually sells cars at a premium (I assume more than Maruti Tru Value and others), you would get a good price if you try. You can also advertise it online since a buyer (who meets you in person) would definitely buy this car, even at a small premium, because the car looks well maintained and packs value (being a Toyota). Now get your new car

I'm saying this because I don't think it would be wise to spend 1.7+ Lac on a car, which is currently worth ~2 Lac, and would be worth 1.5 Lac (or even lesser) if you use it for another 2 years and 20000 kms.

I think you should advertise it for around Rs. 2.25 Lac and post beautiful pictures of the car as it would attract more number of buyers. You have certain positives on your side: White color (accepted by most in the used car market), Toyota (reliable and trustworthy brand) and no rusting or major damage. Give it a thought! :)

Check this : Check value of your car for FREE - CarWale and CarValue | Used | CarWale CarValue - CarWale

Confusion Confusion.
Would love it if someone can help solve this dilema!!
None except you could help yourself, we could only add oil to the fire and increase your confusion. Have a good Heart Vs Mind debate and get it concluded.

6.Both front seats

Queries:
1 & A) Steering gear rack should be leaking. Repairing is quite possible but it depends on the magnitude of wear. Toyota A.S.S will not entertain this repair. You have 3 choices
- Get it replaced (costly affair)
- Get it repaired from FNG (questionable durability)
- Get the gear assembly from a low mileage totaled vehicle (You should have good contacts + time + patience)
2 & B) Either way should work, you could choose the cheapest solution
4) From the snaps HL looks decent, you can get them refurbished (cost vary from 300~3000) which is cheaper than replacement
6) Your choice
C) No guarantee no warranty [evil]

Restore or modify Corolla!!

I have Corolla 2003 top spec model (manual) and it has completed a run of 1.5k and I'm confused to restore it or modify Paint condition is getting low and faded and bit of rust is eating it , it's got champagne silver colour.

It's brakes piston have been damaged recently and I am not able to arrange its spare parts.

I want a cheaper solution to restore my car so that it's useful to me or I can sell it in good price!!

Modification can be thought after restoration.

Please help and suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Restore or modify Corolla!!

I have Corolla 2003 top spec model (manual) and it has completed a run of 1.5k
We hope it's 150k [confused]

I'm confused to restore it or modify Paint condition is getting low and faded and bit of rust is eating it , it's got champagne silver colour.
Modification can be thought after restoration.
Decide any one between Restoration or modification. One after the other will be an costlier affair.

It's brakes piston have been damaged recently and I am not able to arrange its spare parts.
[surprise] Corolla being one of the most of sold vehicle across the globe, I don't think finding spares should be an issue. Either my above understanding is wrong or you didn't approach the right channel. BTW which piston are you speaking about? The master cylinder or the caliper piston?

I want a cheaper solution to restore my car so that it's useful to me or I can sell it in good price!!
Again, decide if you want to use it or sell it. If you wish to keep her for some more time, nothing harm in spending a few additional grands to keep her mechanically good.

Top Bottom