Alloy Requirement and Sizing For Swift VXI

Thread Starter #1
Buying a Swift Vxi shortly and it has stamped wheels. Few queries

1) For everyday driving, do alloys have any benefit?
2) Does using stamped wheels cause brake fade in the long run?
3) The Swift Vxi comes with 165/85 R14 and the Zxi come with 185/60 R15. If alloy wheels are beneficial, should I go for the R15 or stick to the 165/70 that the care came with and select the corresponding alloy wheels?
4) If alloy wheels are beneficial, should I drive direct from the showroom to the tyre dealer and have them replaced?

Ameyam

1) For everyday driving, do alloys have any benefit?
Yes. You get better (marginally) fuel economy due to the light weight of the alloys as compared to the steel rims. You get better looks and better cooling of brakes.

2) Does using stamped wheels cause brake fade in the long run?
I have no idea, unfortunately. Experts might be able to answer. AFAIK, there is no such thing with using stamped wheels.

3) The Swift Vxi comes with 165/85 R14 and the Zxi come with 185/60 R15. If alloy wheels are beneficial, should I go for the R15 or stick to the 165/70 that the care came with and select the corresponding alloy wheels?
Since the top end Zxi comes with 185/60R15, you can go for it safely from 165/65R14. But, you will have to spend for getting tyres replaced to 185 section. If you stick with stock 165 section tyres, then you'll have to spend only on alloys. With 185 section, you will get marginally better grip, cornering ability and a slightly harsher ride over rough roads as compared to 165s.

4) If alloy wheels are beneficial, should I drive direct from the showroom to the tyre dealer and have them replaced?
Yes. This is the preferred way as you would get the best price for your tyres. Rims usually fetch 500-1000 bucks, so their condition isn't important. The tyre make and tread life is the most important. You can decide as your budget allows but it is better to do it ASAP.

Thread Starter #3
Steel rims are called stamped wheels in the industry because thsts how they are made.

If at all i will go for alloys, it will only be for better brake cooling. Is that really necessary though?

Ameyam

GO for alloys.

Reason:
- light weight, so you can think of tyre upgrade.
- brake life increases due to better air flow for cooling.
- gives a better look as compared to steel rim/Stamped wheel.

Although they are little costly but the benefits will compromise the price.

Yes 185/60 R15 tyre will have more advantage than 165/85 R14 while cornering and gives better stability.

Buying ZXi/ZDi stock alloys [from Maruti] may be little costly as compare to market.

If at all i will go for alloys, it will only be for better brake cooling. Is that really necessary though?
Well, it isn't really necessary to get alloys. If you're a die-hard fan of the looks of a car, provided you have money to spare, then it is better to get alloys.
Better cooling of brakes isn't noticeable much with smaller engines like the Swift 1.2. No offence here, I myself drive the Ritz Petrol, and have felt no difference in braking/handling characteristics (without tyre change) due to alloys (maybe because these are not performance-oriented cars).

Thread Starter #6
Hi,

finally someone who thinks like me. Thats what I was thinking from the very beginning- changing tyres rather than rims.

I was thinking that instead of going for 165/80 R14 with alloys, I should look at 185/65 R15 or even 165/80 R15 with steel rims. The idea is not to extract more performance but more stability in wet and a comfortable ride.

Alternatively, should I replace the stock 165/80 R14 stock tyres (which are likely to the JK tyre as they are the cheapest) with some other brand that provides the best combination of comfortable ride, stability as well as fuel economy and grip? I know these are conflicting requirements. Or should I just retain the stock tyres

Ameyam

I was thinking that instead of going for 165/80 R14 with alloys, I should look at 185/65 R15 or even 165/80 R15 with steel rims. The idea is not to extract more performance but more stability in wet and a comfortable ride.
With Wide tyres, more stability & better cornering ability is sure but ride will be bumpy, especially on rough road. Also ability to wade through slush or water marginally suffers.

Thread Starter #8
Rather than up sizing, I am going to run as is. Let's see how the expenses work out. May be alloys some time down the road

Ameyam

Rather than up sizing, I am going to run as is. Let's see how the expenses work out. May be alloys some time down the road
Don't get confused. Now, since you have made your mind, I would suggest:

1> Take delivery of the car and before delivery, confirm from the dealer about the tyre brand and specs. you would be getting with your car? My Ritz has MRF ZVTV from the factory.

2> Visit a tyre dealer and check out the tyre options available in 14". You can get Michelins (more inclined for comfort but prone to cuts), MRF, Yokohama but stay away from JK. You can check out stock size tyre with better compound or even go for a wider track (175/185 if the stock rims can hold) in 14" size. You can ask the buy-back price of the stock tyres you would get with the car and get to know the final price you'd have to pay for the tyres.

3> After delivery, go straight to the tyre shop/dealer and get your new tyres fitted to the steel rims. If budget allows, you can go for 14" alloys after, say 6-7 months, and even stretch your budget to get 15" alloys when the current set of tyres wears out.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
A hierarchy of tyre brands would be really appreciated. I am told Michellin XM2 is good and so is Apollo Accelere. I want a tyre that provides a reliable drive with good traction and stability and fuel economy- obviously which is all a compromise. At the same time, I prefer one that does not puncture easily on Mumbai's pot hole ridden roads. Some one did say - in India we drive on the left of the road and in Mumbai we drive on what is left of the road![;)]

I was thinking alloys only for brake cooling, if that is really needed. This car has front discs and rear drums. I am just fine with rime if that is not really required.

Ameyam

A hierarchy of tyre brands would be really appreciated. I am told Michellin XM2 is good and so is Apollo Accelere. I want a tyre that provides a reliable drive with good traction and stability and fuel economy- obviously which is all a compromise.
I have driven cars with Michelins, JKs, Apollo, MRFs and Bridgestone tyres. And, I would recommend Michelins (total comfort oriented) and MRFs (balance of comfort and handling) and would advice you to skip JKs and Apollos as the tyre noise is unbearable at high speeds. As per my experience, JK tyres are more oriented for durability and have a very hard compound. The ones on my Alto, the Ultima XP, lasted 38k kms.

At the same time, I prefer one that does not puncture easily on Mumbai's pot hole ridden roads.
Then you can rule out Michelins, as these are soft compound tyres and are prone to damage in pot-hole ridden roads.

Some one did say - in India we drive on the left of the road and in Mumbai we drive on what is left of the road!
[lol]

I was thinking alloys only for brake cooling, if that is really needed. This car has front discs and rear drums. I am just fine with rime if that is not really required.
Then you can skip alloys and change only the tyres for a better and plusher ride. I would recommend 185/70R14 on stock 14" steel rims, as they would give better look as well as a good combination of handling and comfort.

So you guys are suggesting MRF 185/70R14?

Will my stock rims take thes 185 wide tyres?
Yes, I am suggesting MRF 185/70R14. I have been using 185 section MRF ZVTV, which came stock with my Ritz. They are fine as far as handling is concerned. They aren't much prone to cuts and damages on bad roads as they are pretty hard compound. The road noise is on a higher side as compared to Michelins but far better than JK tyres. Overall, it is an all-rounder tyre in my opinion.

But, confirm with your dealer as you'd most probably be getting MRF ZVTVs as stock in your Swift. In this case, there is no need to upgrade.

Thread Starter #14
I will check with the dealer tomorrow. My observation is that the Maruti cars always come with JK tyre as they are the cheapest

Ameyam

Top Bottom