Honda City Tyre Upsizing

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

Wanted to share my experience in Tyre upsizing for my Honda city (2005). As you all aware Honda city suffers low ground clearance and often hits the speed breaker on Indian roads. Stock one was Bridgestone 175/65R14, it had ran for 55K and frequent punctures made me to consider replacement. I approached a famous Tyre dealer in Chennai at Peters road. With my own exploration I was in a mind to do a upsize of 185/65R14 (MRF/Bridgestone), which give approx 5mm of added ground clearance. Hoping this size will not affect the vehicle much interms of handling and riding. But the dealer suggested to do with 195/60R14. I decided to go for it as it was sugested by a major Tyre dealer. All four Tyres were replaced with Appolo ACELERE tyres costing 4k reach.

My first ride was unexpectedly great, it was not like riding but was a kind of sliding on the roads. Due to the upsize of 195/60R I noticed little bumpy ride but was enjoyable ride on bad roads. Maneuverability , which I expected to be hard but was very easy. So I was returning home delighted with the ride quality and expenses was also not being heavy.

Unfortunately my happiness did not lost longer, after reaching home I was about to take some pics to note down the ground clearance gained. Noticed a glittering dot on the rear tyre and found a screw already made the damaged. Nitrogen filled Tyre was leaking. Immediately I called the dealer and reported the damage. Initial discussion were not convincing as its usual to any tyre being punctured. I was asked to bring back the vehicle for investigating. My very immediate search in forums/blogs revealed a shocking news about weak side wall profile of Apollo Acceleres tyres. So with this info I negotiated with the dealer for a replacement and the dealer agreed to do it. So did a puncture fix in the Tyre otherwise I cannot take the vehicle to the dealer. My additional search and exploration made me to go only for michelin tyres XM2. And the dealer quoted for 5k each with the 185/65R14 profile claiming Bridgstone/MRF do not have the profile. After the replacement I felt relaxed. However I did not feel anything great with the new Michelin xm2 but vehicle is solid on the road and no issues in maneuverability. Vehicle started escaping from uneven roads and high raised speed breaker.

Below are pics after using it for almost 15 months (>10K KM run).

Attachments

Funniest thing I ever came across.
Tyres replaced because of single puncture that too which was repairable!!

Anyways, please post review of XM2, especially cornering or taking turn at good speeds (80kmph)on highway.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Tornado,
Looks you are a new owner of a car and never ever used tubeless tyres.
A puncture in tubeless tyre cannot be repaired (permanently), all one can do is filling the puncture hole, which is not a permanent repair. If the filling is improper either because of workman ship or due to bad the filling material, then all you have to do is just find a replacement tyre. Also its not advisable to do more than 4 such puncture repair work in tubeless tyres.

And as I mentioned earlier that particular tyre brand had huge negative feedback on its tenderness across the side profile of the tyre. So I wanted to create an awareness that's it.

Coming to my feedback on Xm2 , maintained it with nitrogen once in 4 months and no puncture till date. Noticed less wear tear and threads are still looks new. But frontal tyres have lots of cut marks compared to rear. Performance are good at high speed in both wet and dry condition but never tried cornering or taking turn at good speeds (80kmph)on highway.

kkn13

Suspended
A single small puncture wont cause any trouble if filled from a proper workshop.......
Ive had tyres that ran 35,000km after a puncture filling pretty well

I am running with a punctured tyre (rear left) for more than 20,000kms. It is a very slow leak and lasts for more than a month. Ran it through the mountains, forests, rough roads and some mild off-roading while birding. It is the stock MRF tyre that has done 72,000 kms. Thinking of changing the tyres in a couple of months time.

A puncture in tubeless tyre cannot be repaired (permanently), all one can do is filling the puncture hole, which is not a permanent repair. If the filling is improper either because of workman ship or due to bad the filling material, then all you have to do is just find a replacement tyre.
You mean it was sidewall puncture in case of your tyre? or tread puncture?
Also its not advisable to do more than 4 such puncture repair work in tubeless tyres.
So I wanted to create an awareness
What's the source of this information?

Top Bottom