Hyundai i10 Sportz 2011 Tyres Upgrade

Thread Starter #1
My car Tyre has worn out, so im thinking of changing the tyres, right now i have stock tyres with 13 inch alloys. Is it feasible for me to go with 14 inch tyres, im looking for broad tyres, low profile ones. can someone guide me on this !

Re: i10 Sportz 2011

An ideal upgrade would be 175/70 R13 on aftermarket Alloys

You may go for 14" wheels but the already bad(I feel it) ride quality will take a hit.

Low Profile Tyres will make the car more bouncy as you lose the Sidewall rubber. Personally, I won't recommend.

EDIT: what make your previous tyres were and how many kms they served?

Last edited:

Hi Fatekiller,

The ideal tyre size for 14" is 185/60-14.

Yokohama, Michelin are some good brands available. You can explore more as per your choice.

regards,
Kiran

Thread Starter #4

An ideal upgrade would be 175/70 R13 on aftermarket Alloys

You may go for 14" wheels but the already bad(I feel it) ride quality will take a hit.

Low Profile Tyres will make the car more bouncy as you lose the Sidewall rubber. Personally, I won't recommend.

EDIT: what make your previous tyres were and how many kms they served?
Its Bridgestone. its only around 25k Kms but i feel its worn out

Last edited by a moderator:

Its Bridgestone.. its only around 25k Kms.. but i feel its worn out
Physically examine the tread depth
or use the following method

For the most part, motoring law in most countries determines that your tires need a minimum tread depth to be legal. This varies from country to country but is normally around 1.6mm. To assist you in figuring out when you're getting close to that value, most tires have tread wear indicators built into them. If you look around the tread carefully, at some point you'll see a bar of rubber which goes across the tread and isn't part of the regular pattern (see the picture here for an example). This is the wear indicator. It's really basic, but it's also pretty foolproof. The tread wear indicator is moulded into the rubber at a depth of about 2mm normally. As the rubber in your tires wears away due to everyday use, the tread wears down. At some point, the tire tread will become flush with the wear indicator (which is normally recessed into the tread). At this point you have about 2mm of tread left - in other words it is time to change tires.

Attachments

Thread Starter #7
@all. Ill check out the methods mentioned above. I dont mind changing the 13 inch alloys to 14. guess i should be able to get it with in 15k. I want low profile, broader tyres. is there any other option than 185/60-14 ?

@all. Ill check out the methods mentioned above. I dont mind changing the 13 inch alloys to 14. guess i should be able to get it with in 15k. I want low profile, broader tyres. is there any other option than 185/60-14 ?
Accounting Bling factor,
the broader, low profile tyre would be 195/50 R15 for i10

Kindly Note that it would be an overkill to Ride Quality and Fuel Economy.

Hello FateKiller,

I would advise you against 185/60 -14 upgrade and I would second ADSA's advise of upgrading the tyres to 175/70 -13 if you want to maintain a decent ride quality along with Fuel Efficiency.

I upgraded tyres on my Hyundai I10 to Michelin XM2 175/70 -13. The increased width offered comfort and handling but the ride became a little more noisier. I noticed the noise reduced as the running of tyres increased.

Another important point to consider is the gearing ratio. Wider tyres will give better top speed characteristics but slower acceleration, hence you will tend to overwork your engine which is not good for your engine life.

Finally I would advise you to go for lighter alloys when you upgrade you tyres so that unsprung weight does not increase due to bigger tyres hence keeping suspensions in good shape. I had put in Bridgestone Tiarra alloys which were light weight yet strong.

Hope you enjoy upgrading your tyres, it is a must on I10 [:)]

Cheers,
Sunit

Then the best tyre sizes that suit your needs will be:
  1. 195/50 R15
  2. 195/60 R14
  3. 185/70 R13
  4. 175/65 R14
  5. 175/70 R13

On my i10 AT, rear two wheels had worn out more than front tyres. How that can be? Is it necessary to change all 4 tyres or only rear 2 tyres can be changed?
In my amby too, I was facing the same issue at that time. Now, you roll the front tyres to the back and keep new tyres for the front. In such case, there will be no problem and you can follow the same method all the time.

Top Bottom