Headlights Upgrade in My Swift

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAI. I have a Swift 2009 VXI , The headlights have faded so much that the low beam literally doesnt do any good, and mostly I have to run on high beam and sometimes i really feel guity when using them when two wheelers cross me, some abuse me as well. I did check with one of the mod shop and he said they will need to replace the entire wire kit to replace with a high quality bulb. Please advice me as in what are the type of HL bulbs that i can opt for without touching the stock wiring kit.

Re: Suggestion on headlights upgrade in my swift

You mean the HL faded? Can you post a snap of it?

For higher wattage bulb upgrade (100/90W <-- 60/55W) you should use a separate wiring harness with a relay and no harm in using it. With a faded HL lens / outer glass there won't be much improvement in changing the same spec bulb, higher wattage is recommended.

Swift stock headlights doesn't have enough through on road. Are you sure your headlights are faded? Then you should replace the headlamp unit. Bulb upgrades will not work good in bad HL unit.

You have 2 options for bulb upgrade.

1. go for higher wattage bulb with relay kit

or

2. go for higher light emitting bulbs with same wattage (philips Extreme vision/osaram night breaker)

both will have approx rs.1200 expense.

Thread Starter #4
Thankyou for your replies, My headlights are not faded, i mean at least not the lens, its just the light throw is pretty much blunt. Regarding up gradation of bulb, can you please provide me an input on why i will need a relay kit, cant we remove the current bulb and replace it with a higher wattage bulb. (I am sorry i am just a novice in these topics)

Thread Starter #5
I have found a few options which will not require in changing the current stock wiring but will just require replacing the old bulb. Please let me know your suggestions.

Osram - Night Breaker Plus Headlight Bulbs Bulb H4 (12v 60/55W)
Hella - H4 Headlight Bulb - 3700K (Dual Pack) (H4) 120/110W
Philips Crystal Vision 4300K Headlight Bulbs Bulb H4 (White) 60 W
Philips Extreme X-treme Vision Car Headlight Bulbs Bulb H4 60/55W

Last edited:
If you want to stick with 55/60W (Which I would recommend), go for the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited bulbs. They cost more than the Night Breaker Plus but are a major improvement, definitely miles better than the stock headlamps on MUL cars. Stay away from Philips Crystal Vision, they are more for style than lighting, Xtremevision would be a lot better.

If you want the blue effect, go for Philips Bluevision or Osram Cool Blue Intense as they also produce good light.

(Personally I like bluish light because I feel that it makes road signs easier to see/read)

If this is insufficient, go for an HID kit.

Thankyou for your replies, My headlights are not faded, i mean at least not the lens, its just the light throw is pretty much blunt. Regarding up gradation of bulb, can you please provide me an input on why i will need a relay kit, cant we remove the current bulb and replace it with a higher wattage bulb. (I am sorry i am just a novice in these topics)
WHY USE RELAYS?
Power for the headlights is controlled by a switch on the dash. This is *not* a great place to tap into the system, for two reasons: The headlamp switch uses tiny, high-resistance contacts to complete circuits, and the wire lengths required to run from the battery to the dashboard and all the way out to the headlamps creates excessive resistive voltage drop, especially with the thin wires used in most factory installations. n many cases, the thin factory wires are inadequate even for the stock headlamp equipment. Headlamp bulb light output is severely compromised with decreased voltage.A relay is simply an electrically-operated switch. When we send power to the relay with the headlamp switch, the relay completes a circuit between the the battery or alternator Positive (+) terminal and the headlamps. Unlike headlamps, relays require only a tiny amount of power to operate, so the thin wires that are inadequate to power headlamps are more than sufficient to power relays. We will simply use the existing headlamp wires to switch the relays on and off, and let the relays do the big job of sending or interrupting current to the headlamps. We use relays with plenty of current carrying capacity, which enables us to use heavy-gauge wiring that also has plenty of current carrying capacity. This way, we can bring full current to the headlamps, with virtually no voltage drop, even if we choose to install power-hungry overwattage headlamp bulbs.

Source:Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for all your inputs, I am looking at just removing the old bulb and replacing it with the new one and could you also throw some light on NB+ R11 55W Fog lamps. Is it clear white ?

Has anybody used/using Philips Xtreme vision H11 (100% or 130%) for swift fog lamp. And what are the color temperature of these any idea. Have ordered NB unlimited 110% and expecting to be delivered by this week. NB H11 are almost double the price of Philips XV H11. And wanted to check if the there would be a difference in the color between H4 as NB unlimited and Fog lamp H11 as XV

I am using Philips Extreme X-treme Vision Car Headlight Bulbs Bulb H4 60/55W for my i20. These are great but you must have clear lens to get effect of any headlights.

One more thing you must check "the reflectors", if it is not good or damaged by water or dust then you may need to replace it.

Hi,
Will you please suggest a good 90/100W or 90/110W bulb? I used to get them from Philips but they do not last over six to nine months, I guess due to my heavy usages. And my neighborhood car accessories shop do not stock them anymore, citing poor demands. What brand shall I chose? Does Osram sell 90/110 Watt bulbs and how is the user's feedback?
Regards,
Rahul,
Cossipore, North Calcutta.

Hi,
Will you please suggest a good 90/100W or 90/110W bulb? I used to get them from Philips but they do not last over six to nine months, I guess due to my heavy usages. And my neighborhood car accessories shop do not stock them anymore, citing poor demands. What brand shall I chose? Does Osram sell 90/110 Watt bulbs and how is the user's feedback?
Regards,
Rahul,
Cossipore, North Calcutta.
Hella Rally bulbs come in 90/130w as well as 90/100w. Osram also has basic bulbs with these ratings.

Last edited:
Guys, firstly if you have an old car with faded lens & reflectors, get the headlights replaced first. I think the headlights cost 1.5k a piece. Then look at other things

Anyway, with 90/100 w bulbs, the head light housing gets really hot, so make it a point to switch them off at signals & such when the car isint moving. Secondly for city use 55w night breakers are sufficient. With 90/100w, the greater heat causes the plastic reflector & lens to go yellow sooner. To get around this, i use 90/100 only in the monsoon and 55w NB rest of the time. I have retained the relay kit with the 55w bulb because the higher voltage it delivers makes the 55w bulb pwoduce more light

By the way, the bluish tint bulbs irritate onlookers & actually produce lower illumination

Ameyam.

Last edited:
Good tip Mr.Ameyam,as i also didn't know that headlamp unit gets heated up if the car isn't moving.

Won't fog lamps also get affected by same ?
Fog lamps would also get affected. As Ameyam says, keeping the lights off during stops or at signals will control the yellowing and heating. Yellowing of the lens can be reduced (or removed) by rubbing a toothpaste over the affected lens. It is a widely used solution, by taxis and old car owners. Melting has no solution.

Top Bottom