Front Bull Bars / Crash Guard – Yes or No?

Do You Prefer Installing Front Guards?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
This is a very subjective topic, yet interesting. Do you think that installing the front bull bars is worth it? They do help to prevent front-end damages and also protect the occupants in case of small crash BUT what in case of a major accident? It is obvious that car’s body is designed to absorb crashes but when a front guard is installed, it is joined directly with body and could quite certainly cause an ill affect in terms of a major damage to vehicle as well as ones sitting inside.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I am strongly against the installation of these guards on hatches. Though they look good on suvs.

Last edited:
Depends on the car for me. A strict no for Sedans and Hatches and i don mind having them in SUV'S again depends on the SUV!

These things can prevent extensive damage to your car in the event of a small collision with other cars/objects for example can protect your headlamps , bumpers , front grille etc.

But yeah in major accidents they cause even more damage to your vehicle but a major accident is not an everyday occurance. And anyways in a major accident your car is going to get damaged pretty badly leave alone the damage caused by the bull bars![;)]

We have something similar in our Safari and it helps me to maintain a safe distance from the preceeding vehicle also. And this also helped me once while taking reverse against a slope in a tight spot. I was not able to pull back the vehicle against the slope quickly and so a slight contact with the wall before the car with the crash guard. Else who knows even my Headlamps would have got cracked or broken.

no from my side. whether its a nsuv or a hatch. a bull bar is useful in order to avoid only minor impacts to the car's body at lower speeds only. but when you are on a highway, its dangerous to have a bull bar. because, if the vehicle unfortunately tends to have a high speed frontal impact, then the crumple zones present in the car which are designed to absorb the impact may not do so because of the presence of the bull bar and may result in more damage.

First of all fitting these guards has become trend now a days. Whosoever buys a SUV wants to put those guards. Atleast I feel so.

So, now comming to the point, these guard are fitted to the chassis. So incase of major accidents the guard absorbs the jerk and the bonnet, bumpers, lights are saved and the owner feels happy. But the main part is that, their chassis is affected! People dont know that repairing a chassis is much more difficult from repairing the bumpers and the bonnet.

This was told to buy one of our fixed painter (Who does our family's all car's denting n painting stuffs) Once i went to him for some minor scratch touch ups for my DZire, there was one brand new Innova which had these rear guard and was badly banged by a Indica walla. So I started asking the painter about this guard's usage(pros and cons), he then showed me the guard and the place here it is fixed. It was the CHASSIS which was also affected due to the bang. The bumpers had minor scratch but if one would see going under that Innova removing the spare wheel, he could guess the whole story and the DAMAGE!![surprise]

So according to me its waste of money who are fitting it for safety!
Also these guards starts making vibration noise after some times.
hence a big 'NOOO' from my side too![:D]

Last edited by a moderator:
A NO from my side. it suits only SUVs but i really dont like the big chrome guards on SUVs though i really like the small nudge guards like in my car.

the nudge guard fitted on my car is made of PU & not steel. so i feel it wont be as harmful as a steel guard.

I would suggest "NO",and it depends on the car,for which bull bars suit.For a hatchback and sedans,it does not suit it,as it protects the bumper,but,it gives a wierd look.

A NO from my side. it suits only SUVs but i really dont like the big chrome guards on SUVs though i really like the small nudge guards like in my car.

the nudge guard fitted on my car is made of PU & not steel. so i feel it wont be as harmful as a steel guard.
But i have it on my Car guys.
So big yes from my side.(As i was offered it free)
And in my case it really saves my beast from gates hitting it.:biggrin:

Attachments

Yeah Mukesh its the same case with us. It has saved me from scratches to my bumpers and bonnet a couple of times.

But i agree it causes a thud sound when going over huge potholes at high speeds! And also i felt the Safari got a good look with those bull bars on , otherwise it was looking a little bare! Most of the Safari's here in Chennai has them as it enhances the look too!

Those who are saying it causes severe damage in a major accident , a major accident is always going to very rare in our cars so these can save your bumpers atleast in tight parking spots and minor accidents! ( just my view as it has helped me a couple of times)

Yeah Mukesh its the same case with us. It has saved me from scratches to my bumpers and bonnet a couple of times.
[:)]

But i agree it causes a thud sound when going over huge potholes at high speeds! And also i felt the Safari got a good look with those bull bars on , otherwise it was looking a little bare! Most of the Safari's here in Chennai has them as it enhances the look too!

Well dhaya the one on mine doesn't makes sound while going on bad road conditions.

Those who are saying it causes severe damage in a major accident , a major accident is always going to very rare in our cars so these can save your bumpers atleast in tight parking spots and minor accidents! ( just my view as it has helped me a couple of times)

And infact this is not connected to chassis, But connected to the bumper.
I was offered the Bull Bar vs Carry boy.
I chose Bull bar.
And was told that Carry boy is fitted to chassis and it may cause damage.

i know mukesh that your car has it. it all comes down to personal preference after all. i have such a chrome guard on my old scorpio, that was in 2003. but now i think its passe. now i really wont install such chrome guards on any car, just my humble opinion.

Top Bottom