Maruti SX4 Tyres Downsizing

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys[:)], I am new to this website. I own an SX4 zxi 2007. I am deciding of downsizing it's tyres to ertiga's alloys and tyres because I feel the tyres are so heavy for the car. The car is barely pulling me with such fat and big tyres. How would Honda civic tyres and alloy wheels do? Please help guys:help:.

Re: SX4 zxi tyre downsizing.

What size are your current tyres?

Also, it is unlikely that you will find a noticeable difference in straight-line performance down to the wheels alone. If you feel that the vehicle is struggling to accelerate more than usual it might be worth a closer inspection.

Thread Starter #5
Guys, I donot mean that. My friend's sx4 vxi with alloy wheels is very quick.

Also, it will increase the ride quality and FE.

Last edited by a moderator:

As I said, if his is unmodified and is noticeably faster than yours, you should inspect the engine. It could be down to something minor like fluids or a different engine oil viscosity grade, or something major like fuel/air supply constriction. But the difference in performance due to alloy wheels will be unnoticeable.

Ride quality will get slightly softer by using smaller rims on the same diameter tyre, since you increase the sidewall area. But if you decrease the overall size and width of the wheel you are compromising traction, which is potentially very dangerous.

Fuel efficiency gains will be marginal, usually less than 2%.

Also, if you do not choose the wheel size very carefully, you can create speedometer and odometer errors.

Thread Starter #7

Nope, my priority no.1 is ride quality. Priority no.2 is is pickup. No.3 is looks. No.4 is looks.
There will be a noticeable change if I downgrade because sx4 is overtyred. Even the honda civic with nearly 130 bhp comes with 195/65-16 rubber. After all, sx4 is just 102 bhp, right?

Tread carefully when it comes to ride quality, you don't want to end up making the ride too soft. If you find your vehicle too bouncy, you might actually want a slightly stiffer ride.

Considering your car weighs more than 1.5 tons, and the weight difference between a set of steel wheels and alloy wheels is going to be less than 20kgs, it is highly unlikely that pickup will be noticeably improved.

Looks are a subjective matter.

Also worth noting that with alloys you are allowing better cooling of the brakes which can help reduce brake fade.

I wouldn't say the SX4 is over-tyred. Although tyre size is usually proportional to the amount of torque/power you are trying to put down, it is also largely dependent on the weight distribution and suspension characteristics of the vehicle itself.

hvrudhula: I just read your ridiculous thread on another forum where you said you had fitted a Kizashi engine in your SX4 and converted it to RWD. So why are you now downsizing. Kizashi engine cannot manage to make your stock tyres spin?

I am deciding of downsizing it's tyres to ertiga's alloys and tyres because I feel the tyres are so heavy for the car. The car is barely pulling me with such fat and big tyres.
Do you know the mass difference between SX4 & Ertiga alloys? It should be hardly few kgs. And that shouldn't affect the acceleration of a car like SX4. Afterall Suzuki 'designed' it.

If you weren't convinced yet, try swapping the wheels from your friend's car and check if you could find any difference.
Ride will get improved when we downsize, compromising the Handling part

hvrudhula: I just read your ridiculous thread on another forum where you said you had fitted a Kizashi engine in your SX4 and converted it to RWD.
[surprise]
Peter, PM me the link please.

Do not play with manufacturer's specs. Since for me ride quality is very very important, I hate alloys. Don't know how many here would agree with me but I have seen that with alloys 110 kmph and without alloys 160 kmph are stable in Manza. BTW, I have not driven beyond 160 kmph in Manza.

As engineering says, alloys decrease the weight, increase initial pickup/mileage marginally but decreases high speed stability. I have experienced the same as well.

Since for me high speed stability is most imporatant, I never use alloys.

Thread Starter #12
Guys, when I used JK tyre, my pickup was good enough. But when I went for michelin, my pickup decreased heftily. So now going for 195mm rubber. My first priority is ride quality, number two is pickup, no.3 is looks, no.4 is stability. Handling is not my problem.

Last edited:
As engineering says, alloys decrease the weight, increase initial pickup/mileage marginally but decreases high speed stability. I have experienced the same as well.
Can you please explain more about this theory?
From my experience, a few grams of mass difference in each wheel has got nothing to do with the stability of the vehicle.

Just my thought, OEMs don't 'make' the cars, they 'design' it. Almost all the high end cars comes with alloy wheels.

My first priority is ride quality, number two is pickup, no.3 is looks, no.4 is stability. Handling is not my problem.
For better ride quality you can always go for down sizing with a bigger side wall.
But please be informed, ride is related to comfort and handling is something to do with the safety.

hvrudhula: I just read your ridiculous thread on another forum where you said you had fitted a Kizashi engine in your SX4 and converted it to RWD. So why are you now downsizing. Kizashi engine cannot manage to make your stock tyres spin?
+1 this guy is on a trolling spree on all Automotive forums! its high time we all stop feeding his troll.

Top Bottom