The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   Accessories & Modifications (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/)
-   -   HID Xenons Headlamps - Discussions and Queries (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/1624-hid-xenons-headlamps-discussions-queries.html)

ilango[speed thirst] 4th May 2010 09:44 PM

HID Xenons Headlamps - Discussions and Queries

1 Attachment(s)
I felt there is a need for hid thread after today's sale.

Though i have not opened , i got a customer needing a h4 hid
there simple query/request it must be branded

I got a Philips kit for them , it was really good.

Though hid have a good throw with projector , it was equally good in this normal projector.

It is now fixed in r15 and will later go into ANHC

The mrp is 9000/- and i gave it for 8400/-

The set has 2 ballast and 2 lamp and 2 blue parking bulbs

lot of chinese models are available in the market though. reliability is major question on them and bosh has Chinese duplicates too with 'made in taiwan ' printed on them. Insist on warranty[thumbsup]

cooldhaya 5th May 2010 01:29 AM

Aah i was looking to this thread for a long time here!( I ask Ilango many things about HID kits in messages)

Hey looking forward to more information here like the different varities , various brands , best buy etc!

naveen04in 5th May 2010 09:38 AM

Good thread..
Let me share my experiences.
I use Auto Gauge 4300k HIDs in my projector setup. These lights have brilliant throw and the cut off is excellent. Since my projector setup comes with Motorized Auto level, I just had to plug in and no focussing was needed. You can check out my car at "Modded Swift - Stage 2 Complete" which also has a demo video showing the auto level feature.

Next, am planning to install 6000l HIDs in fog.

ilango[speed thirst] 5th May 2010 09:54 AM

Hid+ projector is always a good one. You get maximum of a hid.

Yes tuning them in non - motorized one is a big job. But that is my job!

Yep every one must have seen your car.
Since you have already a 4300K in head lamp i suggest you you to go to 8000K one with bluish light. it will be good.

Frankly speaking , yellowish must go in fogs

naveen04in 5th May 2010 11:37 AM

@ilango:

I wanted to go for the ones with a good output for my headlights. So went in for 4300k. Since this isnt pure white, am planning to install 6000k for my fog. I guess 8000k would be too bluish.. Dont wanna attract the cops, since cops out here are looking for some small reason to book the drivers.

What do you say? 6000k for fogs? Also, let me know the best brand and approx cost

Umang 5th May 2010 12:16 PM

guys, I'm total n00b in lamps and electricals, can some of you experts explain basics about Xenons in detail and how do we get to know that which is perfect for us? i also heard that we need to change whole set of lamps instead of bulb if we have to fit xenons?

naveen04in 5th May 2010 01:43 PM

In xenon, an electric arc is the one that produces the light unlike normal halogen bulbs. It takes a few seconds for the xenon lights to reach their full capacity. These bulbs wont work in normal low voltage DC current of our battery. For this we use a ballast. This ballast is used to control the flow of current to the xenon bulbs.
Usually the HID kit comes with a pair of HID bulbs, wiring kit and a pair of ballast.
HIDs are usually classified based on their color temperatures (Kelvin).

They usually start with 3000k all the way to 44000k (I think).
Lesser k means greater output. The standard HID used in modern cars is 4300k (White light with a tinge of yellow color - one you see in BMW, Mercs, Skoda).
6000k is next preferred as it is pure white with a good amount of output.

HIDS work well only with projectors. Projectors are used to project the light beam while if you use this in a normal headlight, the light beam will be scattered and will blind oncoming traffic (this is very commonly seen in India). Using projectors, the light beam will in a shape of a square meaning it is well focused on a particular area rather than scattering.

While using after market projectors, there is a common problem that the cutoff of the output is not good. This means the focusing is not good. For this, there are three screws in the headlight assembly which needs to be adjusted to obtain that perfect cutoff. But to solve this, there is a new projector setup for swift which has a Motorized Auto level focus which lets you adjust the level from inside.

I have installed this in my car.
You can check out my car at "Modded Swift - Stage 2 Complete" which also has a demo video showing the auto level feature.

Cheers.!!

ilango[speed thirst] 5th May 2010 02:35 PM

you have explained well .

after market quality projectors gives good throw and also need good tuning(focusing).

What navin have installed is correct temperature.

Hid gives good visibility better than a halogen with less current being drawn

a 35w hid gives almost 20 times better visibility than a 100W halogen .

as navin say there is a ballast - like a amplifier.

In the picture 2 boxes are there na , 1st one is Xenon and other one is ballast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen04in (Post 30776)
@ilango:

I wanted to go for the ones with a good output for my headlights. So went in for 4300k. Since this isnt pure white, am planning to install 6000k for my fog. I guess 8000k would be too bluish.. Dont wanna attract the cops, since cops out here are looking for some small reason to book the drivers.

What do you say? 6000k for fogs? Also, let me know the best brand and approx cost

You can go illegal in fogs , when a cops come switch off the fogs.

Fog lamps are meant to see in fog , so yellowish one like the 4000k must be in fog and other brighter ones can be tried in head lamp.

After all its our car and its our wish , we can fix anything anywhere.[evil]

Branded ones are bosh and Philips readily available with warranty.
rest imported are without warranty.

And approx cost , ? i have given the real cost. [thumbsup]

blackbeauty 5th May 2010 03:16 PM

@ilango
Is this bi xenon?
Can we get branded one's as single, for bikes?

ilango[speed thirst] 5th May 2010 10:32 PM

All h4 are bi xenon!

avail for bike in different pack

or buy this and 2 person share them

gears1313 6th May 2010 12:53 AM

Okey...now I was about to start this thread three days back since there was no HID thread in this site...Nways I was out in the market last week to get HIDs for my Pulsar180 UG4, I was and I am totally confused about the brand and the warranty...
one guy says:
Brand: Xenon @ Rs 2000/- w/o warranty and Rs 3500/- with 1yr warranty(the products are same!!);

next guy says:
Brand: Unknown @ Rs 1650/- w/o warranty

another shopkeeper says:
Brand: Unknown but made in 'Taiwan' @ Rs 1550/- w/o warranty; now I asked about warranty ones, he says Rs 4000/-....then he said me that "maal dono same hai par 4000 walli aap kitni baar change karwaa lo ge????" ie "The products are same and how many times you can change the 4000 ones???"...but he said that the product is good and he has not got any complaints about the same...

Now I am totally confused...what to do??? Is there any brand named 'XENON' in the market???
are 'TAIWAN' made goods reliable??????[surprise]

naveen04in 6th May 2010 08:19 AM

@ilango
Thanks for your inputs. I will be going for 6000k in my fog since I wont be driving under foggy conditions. This car is purely for city use.

@gears.
I dont think Xenon is a brand, if so it might be fake.
You can try Auto Gauge brand. I have them installed in my swift. I got the kit for 7500. And please stay away from Taiwan and chinese products.

Please remember although these HIDs are expensive, it's worth every penny you pay. So why dont you pay that extra cash for the good product rather than paying fake products and feel guilty. What do you say guys??

ilango[speed thirst] 6th May 2010 09:17 AM

Xenon is the bulb type like halogen. .

The chinese and local one with and without warrenty is not reliable.

Its like seller warrenty.
suppose i sell 10 piece per day and in a week only 4 returns back , i'll happily replace them for free. (In your case a 1500 is got extra , it will minimize his loss)

In hid section , always a branded original is safe.

Many , chinese(local chinese) make are printed with made in taiwan. beware

Umang 6th May 2010 01:06 PM

thanks a lot naveen, very well explained. now i have atleast got a basic idea of xenons but another question, why are bright xenons illegal, like you said they attract cops?

gears1313 6th May 2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen04in (Post 30860)
@gears.I dont think Xenon is a brand, if so it might be fake.
You can try Auto Gauge brand. I have them installed in my swift. I got the kit for 7500. And please stay away from Taiwan and chinese products.

Thanx naveen for the explanation!! And yes i will try to find out branded HIDs in thr market...[thumbsup]

ilango[speed thirst] 6th May 2010 08:52 PM

Cops !
cops even catch a stock skoda octy/laura . even though they plea its stock they dont hear. illiterate cops!

naveen04in 7th May 2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umang (Post 30882)
thanks a lot naveen, very well explained. now i have atleast got a basic idea of xenons but another question, why are bright xenons illegal, like you said they attract cops?

There are few reasons.
Many go for HIDs above 6000k which are blue. This is not allowed. Anything below 6000k is safe, but even in some brands 6000k have bluish color.
4300k is the legal one which is white in color with a tinge of yellow
6000k pure white

HIDs in projectors are safe and wont attract cops if used properly. HID's used in normal headlights will certainly attract them. The reason being, in normal headlights, the lights get scattered which will blind oncoming traffic. In projectors, the light is projected onto a particular area. Safe for oncoming traffic.

I would recommend HID's in projector setup with 4300k and fog with 6000k HID.

Cheers.

cooldhaya 9th May 2010 01:03 PM

hey great explanation Naveen , you have solved most of doubts about projectors and HID for cars but now i want somebody to explain for bikes??!!

ilango[speed thirst] 9th May 2010 02:27 PM

Same applies for bikes.

Dual h4 in cars are used as single h4 in normal bikes and same set up as in car for bikes with dual headlamp doom except the fazer.

cooldhaya 9th May 2010 03:40 PM

Why is the Fazer an exception??

And one more doubt , my friend who is having a HH Hunk got a HID kit for Rs.1500 without B/W. The problem is it cuts-off automatically if we use it for more than 10 minutes and does not switch ON for another 10 mins. And then after that it works fine for another 10 minutes and again it cuts-off! Whats the issue with this?? The HID works in high beam!

And in cars does the HID work in both the high and low-beams??

ilango[speed thirst] 9th May 2010 06:12 PM

Fazer has dual head lamp , but one lamp is low beam(left) and one is for high beam(right)

Warrenty helps to get replace if any manufacture fault is there and obly branded good one gives them ,
though grey piece , branded but legal in other countries -sold in india dont have warrenty but are reliable.

For the sum of 1500 , i think it must be a chinese make and for the switch off reason fault may be in ballast unit , else in rectifier of bike else in battery.

If you dont get the bike checked , one by one will stop working. check and replace asap

cooldhaya 10th May 2010 08:38 AM

Oh well okay , thanks for the info bro! Will check out this weekend!

And what about my other question , Does HID work in both the beams in cars as well as bikes??

ilango[speed thirst] 10th May 2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldhaya (Post 31214)

And what about my other question , Does HID work in both the beams in cars as well as bikes??

H4 bulbs are bi xenon , like in your car. It has both low and high beam .

For cars like the indigo/marina , fiesta etc where 2 headlamp doom are there in a one assy. they have different bulb . Hid are available in that bulb version.

Normally in the above case people go for hid in low beam and normal halogen in high beam.

blackbeauty 10th May 2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilango[speed thirst] (Post 31187)
Fazer has dual head lamp , but one lamp is low beam(left) and one is for high beam(right)

Its the stock setup. If you request at the time time of service, they'll make it dual connection, just like R15.

ilango[speed thirst] 10th May 2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbeauty (Post 31219)
Its the stock setup. If you request at the time time of service, they'll make it dual connection, just like R15.

Yep i said about the stock . and for set up like the r15 one must change the holders too .

blackbeauty 10th May 2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilango[speed thirst] (Post 31221)
Yep i said about the stock . and for set up like the r15 one must change the holders too .

My friend has a Fazer. While giving it for for the first service service, we asked them to change to dual connection. Didn't check its holders before.:stupid:

BTW, how much a normal projector will cost? HID without projectors will blind others na?
And does Corolla Altis have an HID? I have read like that somewhere, but I dont see the projector in that.[confused]

naveen04in 10th May 2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldhaya (Post 31214)

As ilango mentioned, these cars have two separate bulbs. One for Low and other for high. For these, you will need two HID kits. 4 HID bulbs and 2 pairs of ballast. I would recommend to stick with HIDs on low and higher rating halos on high (white output). This best example would be the new corolla altis. It's got 4300k HIDs on low and normal halos on high.

Laura has HID projectors for Low and normal halos for high.
High end cars like Audi, BMW got projectors for both.

My car got a single projector setup which use a single HID bulb for low and high.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbeauty (Post 31224)
My friend has a Fazer. While giving it for for the first service service, we asked them to change to dual connection. Didn't check its holders before.

BTW, how much a normal projector will cost? HID without projectors will blind others na?
And does Corolla Altis have an HID? I have read like that somewhere, but I dont see the projector in that.

Projector cost vary for different cars. For eg, The twin eye projector setup for Swift (Old model) is around 9k without HIDs and the Single full CCFL projector setup (The one I have - new model) is around 13k.

HIDs without projectors will definitely blind oncoming traffic. So I wouldnt recommend this. The road visibility will be bad without projectors. Usually, HIDs without projectors are meant for show off.

Corolla Altis got a 4300k HIDs on low beam only. The high beam is normal halos. There is no projector setup for Altis.

Laura got projector for low and normal halos for high.

Hope this makes everything clear.

cooldhaya 10th May 2010 01:38 PM

Hey thanks for the explanation Naveen! Then what halogen would you guys recommend for high beams??

naveen04in 10th May 2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldhaya (Post 31273)
Hey thanks for the explanation Naveen! Then what halogen would you guys recommend for high beams??

You can check out Philips with a rating of 100/90. This will require you to fit a relay too..
I had used Osram Cool Blue before.. There's a rumor that if you use higher rated bulbs, the headlight reflector gets burned. So try not to use this long time. I used this only for around 3 months.

But since this is for high beams and not used that often, i think you can go for these...

gears1313 28th May 2010 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okey guys...i got these HIDs for my Pulsar 180 (UG4). Its some Taiwan made Brand (obviously W/O waranty!) and here is the teaser pic. Will upload more pics soon![:)]

350Z 28th May 2010 04:51 PM

Looking good. Post more pictures. Regarding Taiwan made, We had a discussion on it long time back, Linky: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...able-they.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

cooldhaya 29th May 2010 10:23 AM

Hey looking great but surely will stun the oncoming traffic!

BTW how much it costed?? And also does it drain the battery much??

Umang 31st May 2010 03:36 PM

looks stunning but where are more pics?? the best thing i like about xenons is that we can see them directly and but in halogens it is impossible!

gears1313 31st May 2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350Z (Post 32854)
Looking good. Post more pictures. Regarding Taiwan made, We had a discussion on it long time back, Linky: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...able-they.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thanks '350Z' it actually looks more cool when we look live. Well, the seller told me that its a TAIWAN Product but yesterday I noticed that on the box it is written 'GERMAN TECHNOLOGY', so now I am a bit confused![surprise]

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldhaya (Post 32895)
Hey looking great but surely will stun the oncoming traffic!

BTW how much it costed?? And also does it drain the battery much??

Thanks 'Cooldhaya', it surely stuns the oncomming traffic, everyone the passer bys or the pedestrians all looks to the light only. It also looks cool from far also like a star.[:D]

Yes now about the price. The total price I spent on this thing is around 2150 ie 1950+200 fitting charges! (I think that I spent a lot on the fitting because I myself could do it)

The battery drainage is the main problem with me since I got them fitted. But the light is awesom. In my bike there is a low battery indicator which blinks when the bike is still with HIDs on for 10mins, once the bike is in motion after few meters the indicator goes off and the battery gets charged. Also there is more load on the battery when the lights are on because when the lights are on the horn does now works properly. The horn works wery badly.But during day time the horn is fantastic.

Will post more pics soon!

gears1313 31st May 2010 08:39 PM

19 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics! Both positive and negative comments are welcomed so feel free to comment![:D]

Akash 31st May 2010 11:21 PM

Since you have got hids which consume more, dont forget to get the water level of your battery(if its maintenance then no probs).

cooldhaya 1st June 2010 10:03 AM

So you have gone in for HID's even for the wolf eyes! That looking great and will surely be a looker! My friend who is having HID's in his Hunk is having same battery drainage problems!

naveen04in 1st June 2010 12:05 PM

Great install.. that's a brilliant output you got.. This is surely gonna be an envy to others bikers..! brilliant install...!

gears1313 2nd June 2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldhaya (Post 33138)
So you have gone in for HID's even for the wolf eyes! That looking great and will surely be a looker! My friend who is having HID's in his Hunk is having same battery drainage problems!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldhaya (Post 31183)
Why is the Fazer an exception??

And one more doubt , my friend who is having a HH Hunk got a HID kit for Rs.1500 without B/W. The problem is it cuts-off automatically if we use it for more than 10 minutes and does not switch ON for another 10 mins. And then after that it works fine for another 10 minutes and again it cuts-off! Whats the issue with this?? The HID works in high beam!

And in cars does the HID work in both the high and low-beams??

Yes cooldhaya, I know that installing HID's will consume more battery but mine is not the same problem as your friend has with his HH Hunk.[surprise] Mine HID's does not cuts-of any time! Only the battery low indicator blinks if the bike is not in motion for some time. But that problem aslo goes whan the bike come in motion and the battery gets charged!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akash (Post 33119)
Since you have got hids which consume more, dont forget to get the water level of your battery(if its maintenance then no probs).

Thanks for warning me Akash. I will sure keep on eye on it![thumbsup]

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen04in (Post 33154)
Great install.. that's a brilliant output you got.. This is surely gonna be an envy to others bikers..! brilliant install...!

Thanks Naveen! Yes thats a fabulous output I have got and I was not expecting this from an unbranded HID. Well its my luck! And yes not only other bikers, but also my dad, uncles, and my cousins envy me!

naveen04in 3rd June 2010 11:08 AM

Haha.. That's good..