HID Xenons Headlamps: Discussions & Queries

Thread Starter #1
I felt there is a need for hid thread after today's sale.

Though i have not opened , i got a customer needing a h4 hid
there simple query/request it must be branded

I got a Philips kit for them , it was really good.

Though hid have a good throw with projector , it was equally good in this normal projector.

It is now fixed in r15 and will later go into ANHC

The mrp is 9000/- and i gave it for 8400/-

The set has 2 ballast and 2 lamp and 2 blue parking bulbs

lot of chinese models are available in the market though. reliability is major question on them and bosh has Chinese duplicates too with 'made in taiwan ' printed on them. Insist on warranty[thumbsup]

Attachments

Aah i was looking to this thread for a long time here!( I ask Ilango many things about HID kits in messages)

Hey looking forward to more information here like the different varities , various brands , best buy etc!

Good thread..
Let me share my experiences.
I use Auto Gauge 4300k HIDs in my projector setup. These lights have brilliant throw and the cut off is excellent. Since my projector setup comes with Motorized Auto level, I just had to plug in and no focussing was needed. You can check out my car at "Modded Swift - Stage 2 Complete" which also has a demo video showing the auto level feature.

Next, am planning to install 6000l HIDs in fog.

Thread Starter #4
Hid+ projector is always a good one. You get maximum of a hid.

Yes tuning them in non - motorized one is a big job. But that is my job!

Yep every one must have seen your car.
Since you have already a 4300K in head lamp i suggest you you to go to 8000K one with bluish light. it will be good.

Frankly speaking , yellowish must go in fogs

@ilango:

I wanted to go for the ones with a good output for my headlights. So went in for 4300k. Since this isnt pure white, am planning to install 6000k for my fog. I guess 8000k would be too bluish.. Dont wanna attract the cops, since cops out here are looking for some small reason to book the drivers.

What do you say? 6000k for fogs? Also, let me know the best brand and approx cost

guys, I'm total n00b in lamps and electricals, can some of you experts explain basics about Xenons in detail and how do we get to know that which is perfect for us? i also heard that we need to change whole set of lamps instead of bulb if we have to fit xenons?

In xenon, an electric arc is the one that produces the light unlike normal halogen bulbs. It takes a few seconds for the xenon lights to reach their full capacity. These bulbs wont work in normal low voltage DC current of our battery. For this we use a ballast. This ballast is used to control the flow of current to the xenon bulbs.
Usually the HID kit comes with a pair of HID bulbs, wiring kit and a pair of ballast.
HIDs are usually classified based on their color temperatures (Kelvin).

They usually start with 3000k all the way to 44000k (I think).
Lesser k means greater output. The standard HID used in modern cars is 4300k (White light with a tinge of yellow color - one you see in BMW, Mercs, Skoda).
6000k is next preferred as it is pure white with a good amount of output.

HIDS work well only with projectors. Projectors are used to project the light beam while if you use this in a normal headlight, the light beam will be scattered and will blind oncoming traffic (this is very commonly seen in India). Using projectors, the light beam will in a shape of a square meaning it is well focused on a particular area rather than scattering.

While using after market projectors, there is a common problem that the cutoff of the output is not good. This means the focusing is not good. For this, there are three screws in the headlight assembly which needs to be adjusted to obtain that perfect cutoff. But to solve this, there is a new projector setup for swift which has a Motorized Auto level focus which lets you adjust the level from inside.

I have installed this in my car.
You can check out my car at "Modded Swift - Stage 2 Complete" which also has a demo video showing the auto level feature.

Cheers.!!

Thread Starter #8
you have explained well .

after market quality projectors gives good throw and also need good tuning(focusing).

What navin have installed is correct temperature.

Hid gives good visibility better than a halogen with less current being drawn

a 35w hid gives almost 20 times better visibility than a 100W halogen .

as navin say there is a ballast - like a amplifier.

In the picture 2 boxes are there na , 1st one is Xenon and other one is ballast.

@ilango:

I wanted to go for the ones with a good output for my headlights. So went in for 4300k. Since this isnt pure white, am planning to install 6000k for my fog. I guess 8000k would be too bluish.. Dont wanna attract the cops, since cops out here are looking for some small reason to book the drivers.

What do you say? 6000k for fogs? Also, let me know the best brand and approx cost

You can go illegal in fogs , when a cops come switch off the fogs.

Fog lamps are meant to see in fog , so yellowish one like the 4000k must be in fog and other brighter ones can be tried in head lamp.

After all its our car and its our wish , we can fix anything anywhere.[evil]

Branded ones are bosh and Philips readily available with warranty.
rest imported are without warranty.

And approx cost , ? i have given the real cost. [thumbsup]

Okey...now I was about to start this thread three days back since there was no HID thread in this site...Nways I was out in the market last week to get HIDs for my Pulsar180 UG4, I was and I am totally confused about the brand and the warranty...
one guy says:
Brand: Xenon @ Rs 2000/- w/o warranty and Rs 3500/- with 1yr warranty(the products are same!!);

next guy says:
Brand: Unknown @ Rs 1650/- w/o warranty

another shopkeeper says:
Brand: Unknown but made in 'Taiwan' @ Rs 1550/- w/o warranty; now I asked about warranty ones, he says Rs 4000/-....then he said me that "maal dono same hai par 4000 walli aap kitni baar change karwaa lo ge????" ie "The products are same and how many times you can change the 4000 ones???"...but he said that the product is good and he has not got any complaints about the same...

Now I am totally confused...what to do??? Is there any brand named 'XENON' in the market???
are 'TAIWAN' made goods reliable??????[surprise]

Last edited:
@ilango
Thanks for your inputs. I will be going for 6000k in my fog since I wont be driving under foggy conditions. This car is purely for city use.

@gears.
I dont think Xenon is a brand, if so it might be fake.
You can try Auto Gauge brand. I have them installed in my swift. I got the kit for 7500. And please stay away from Taiwan and chinese products.

Please remember although these HIDs are expensive, it's worth every penny you pay. So why dont you pay that extra cash for the good product rather than paying fake products and feel guilty. What do you say guys??

Thread Starter #13
Xenon is the bulb type like halogen. .

The chinese and local one with and without warrenty is not reliable.

Its like seller warrenty.
suppose i sell 10 piece per day and in a week only 4 returns back , i'll happily replace them for free. (In your case a 1500 is got extra , it will minimize his loss)

In hid section , always a branded original is safe.

Many , chinese(local chinese) make are printed with made in taiwan. beware

thanks a lot naveen, very well explained. now i have atleast got a basic idea of xenons but another question, why are bright xenons illegal, like you said they attract cops?

@gears.I dont think Xenon is a brand, if so it might be fake.
You can try Auto Gauge brand. I have them installed in my swift. I got the kit for 7500. And please stay away from Taiwan and chinese products.
Thanx naveen for the explanation!! And yes i will try to find out branded HIDs in thr market...[thumbsup]

Top Bottom