Originally Posted by stingray91
Oh ya? .
Does 35w hid kit bulb can withstand 55w ballast? If yes im happy.
So even if my hid bulb goes off i can swap a new one?
Does hid ballast determine the temperature or the ballast?
If yes my current 6k bulb can be swapped by 4.3k bulb?or else
The ballasts deside the kelvin so if i switch 4.3k ballast?
55w and 35w are the ballasts specs not the bulb? Else the 55w bulbs showcased in ebat are actually the 35w? Just for marketing sake they do that? Or the 55w bulb has good electrodes and gas?
Good that you asked.
1)As opposed to Halogen Lamps, The HID 'capsule' does not have any filaments and hence its not designed to Operate at a fixed power. Ballasts decide The power that will be "pumped" into the capsule. If you buy a 35W kit or 55W kit, Bulbs stay the same.
2) kelvin CCT is decided by the Bulb, There are rare earth metal halide salted added to the capsule that decide how it will glow. However a 55w HID ballasts heats the salts to a higher degree and provides somewhat Whiter, washed look.
3) Yes any Bulbs and any ballasts will be compatiable (Assuming they're automotive and 35w or 55w ones). However its not recommended to swap Only 1 bulbs or Mix Bulbs. As the Bulbs age, The salts (That make white light) deteriorate and bulbs shift their CCT towards Blue.
An age old 6000K bulb may look like 8000k at the end of Life. Mixed bulbs will look funny on the ride and could attract Cops etc.
4) Pumping higher wattage sure costs the Life of Bulb. But thats still longer than you'll need. Only TRUE 50w Bulb i've seen are the millitary spec Philips "FATBOY" DL50. Forget about getting them in India or anywhere else. Whatever you get in Consumer market are just overdriven 35W bulbs. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ulb-Comparison
5) 35W kits are rated by the Output power (35w going to the Bulb).
With ballast losses its more like 40W kit
55w Kits are rated by Input power. So its more like 45w going to the Bulb. The means real difference is 10W and not 20W like you may assume.
6) For your case, first get 55W ballasts on same bulbs. Let me know if you like the tint.