Tata Nano Tyre Upsizing or Upgrading

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first query in TAI. Please consider or revert my mistakes in this thread.

Query : I am planning to buy Tata Nano Twist which is launched by TATA motors recently. I am happy with the price quote and the features available within that price. The only thing that keeps we worrying is the front tyre upsizing.

Front Tyre size
135/70 R 12
Rear Tyre size
155/65 R 12
Wheels Size
4 B x 12

I have driven NANO 2013 for more than 4000 kms [both in City & Highway]. The city ride is really cool when it comes to slow moving traffic, but on highways at higher speeds [say around 90-100 km/hr] while overtaking other vehicle, I tend to loose confidence a little as it imbalances in some amount.

I want to upgrade the tyre size from 135/70 R 12 to 155/65 R 12. Will the wide tyre will rub against the inner part of the body while turning max to left or right.

Has anyone done/seen this before. [confused]. If so please put reply with the pictures.

hi.
im not sure what will happen if you make all tyres same size. if you ask the dealers they say there wont be any problem. but tata had designed in this way to keep the body roll minimum. so better stick to some different front and rear profiles.
i have 145/70/R12 bridgestone b322 in front and 165/60/r12 bridgestone potenza g3 in rear.

front tyres will rub the bumpers if you have the bodykits , other wise no problem. also check if the stock rim (4j size) will support 165 profile. ( I have 4.5J plati alloys)

Thread Starter #5
I have done inquiry to one of the Tyre shop in PUNE, he suggested me to go for 155/70 R12 for all wheels, for now and then replace with 4.5J x R12 alloys of some good brand. He assured me that changing all tyre with same size wont affect the steering since "TWIST" comes with power steering.

The technician at the shop told me below 2 things...

For rear tyre I am upgrading the profile i.e from 155/65 R12 to 155/70 R12, just 5mm profile will 2.5 mm of ground clearance and 2.5mm inside the wheel arc.

For front tyre I am just increasing the width from 135mm to 155mm that will add 10mm inside and 10mm outside. whereas the profile remains the same [70mm].

Now I happy with the tyre change. For next 2 months I will try to test the upgrade across different terrain and write the experience in TAI. Once this is fine, I will upgrade from stock steel rims to alloys with "4.5J x R12".

--------------------------
MICHELIN Energy XM2
Size : 155/70 R12

Load Index : 73
Speed Index : T

Section width (mm) 157
Overall diameter (mm) 523

Minimum rim width : 4 inch
Recommended rim width : 4.5 inch
Maximum rim width : 5 inch

I have done inquiry to one of the Tyre shop in PUNE, he suggested me to go for 155/70 R12 for all wheels, for now and then replace with 4.5J x R12 alloys of some good brand. He assured me that changing all tyre with same size wont affect the steering since "TWIST" comes with power steering.

The technician at the shop told me below 2 things...

For rear tyre I am upgrading the profile i.e from 155/65 R12 to 155/70 R12, just 5mm profile will 2.5 mm of ground clearance and 2.5mm inside the wheel arc.

For front tyre I am just increasing the width from 135mm to 155mm that will add 10mm inside and 10mm outside. whereas the profile remains the same [70mm].

Now I happy with the tyre change. For next 2 months I will try to test the upgrade across different terrain and write the experience in TAI. Once this is fine, I will upgrade from stock steel rims to alloys with "4.5J x R12".

MICHELIN Energy XM2

Section width (mm) 157

thanks amit for this update, this swap will be a boon to all twist owners including me, as i plan to buy one this summer.

please let us have some pictures, where the above changes could be noticed.
thanks & regards
vinod

MICHELIN Energy XM2

Section width (mm) 157

What is the expected price for this upgrade?

Thread Starter #9
thanks amit for this update, this swap will be a boon to all twist owners including me, as i plan to buy one this summer.

please let us have some pictures, where the above changes could be noticed.
thanks & regards
vinod
I could have posted images but the car is not with me, my father is using in our hometown, and he is not a techie take proper photo and email me. The next time I visit my hometown will post the images. [confused]

For reference it looks quite similar to the NANO website photo, except for the tread pattern.[:)]

Power Steering and other Brand New Features in Tata Nano Twist
New Tata Nano Twist - Best Mileage Small Car in India
Energy XM2 - PassengerCar - www.michelin.in

I could have posted images but the car is not with me, my father is using in our hometown, and he is not a techie take proper photo and email me. The next time I visit my hometown will post the images. [confused]

For reference it looks quite similar to the NANO website photo, except for the tread pattern.[:)]

Have you checked any change in the FE after upsizing the tyres?

Thread Starter #11

Have you checked any change in the FE after upsizing the tyres?

Hey the car is not with me. My Dad is using it; as per his knowledge the mileage is not yet affected. There may/may not be some misinterpretation done by my Dad. But for instance even if the mileage getting hurt, the difference will not be more that 1-2 kmpl. [:D]. One of my cousin who drove my car in my hometown told me that the power steering really works good even after upsizing, also the road grip on turns is very nice.

What I am worried about is the tyre should not rub against body arc internally under worst driving condition. But till date there is no such problem has arise.

The thread is over 1 year old, but wanted to clarify to those who might read.
135-70-12 and 155-70-12 are NOT the same profile height. The profile height is not the mm, it is measured in percentage of the tire width. So, the tire size is written like this: width (mm) / height (percent of width) / rim size (inches). WHY do they write it like that? Just to confuse everyone.

So 135/70-12 tire would be 135 mm wide, 135 mm x 70% = 94.5 mm tall sidewall, 12 inch rim diameter.
155-70-12 is 155 mm wide, 155 mm x 70 % = 108.5 mm tall sidewall, 12 inch rim. So that's 14 mm taller sidewall. 155-65-12 would be closer in the sidewall height. 155 mm x 65% = 100.75 mm, only 6 mm taller.
Of course, neither 6 mm nor 14 mm will be a noticeable difference. But just I wanted to share this technical detail. On other cars with wider tires this can make big difference.

Can the wheels of the Nano be upgraded to 13 inches? I mean for the non-power steering model.
If so, what are the recommended tyre profiles and sections?
Has anyone done it? Will it make the steering really heavy?
Will it make the Nano a more comfy and better highway car?

Top Bottom