Mahindra XUV Headlamps Upgrade Help!

Thread Starter #1
Headlamps in XUV 500 is a mixed bag. The low beams have good spread but high beams are just horrible, especially on curves where only the low beams comes to help. Even the cornering lights are not activated at times of need. The brightness of both beams are average at best. To make things worse, the low beams goes kaput every 6 months, costing 400 for single bulb replacement.

I enquired about possible changes to two of the trusted after market auto shops in Coimbatore. While both are not willing to touch the wiring of the car, for some reasons. But one suggests switching all the bulbs to Osram and claims that they have same rated power but are more powerful than regular bulbs and they cost Rs.3500 to replace all four bulbs.

Does the Osram bulbs cost that much? And is it really better than stock bulbs with the same rated power? Anyone who has done headlamps modifications to XUV please shed light on the wiring part. Kindly have in mind that this is purely a highway ride, so safety is very important.

Thanks in advance.

I had a similar issue for a long time, and its a case of finding the sweet spot with the beam positioning and yes it exists, it took 6-7 iterations to get there, park yourself on a dark place and adjust the beam. No short cuts you just need to play with it via the adjustment options near the headlamps.

Even now my high beam goes slightly to the left something i need adjusting - if you are not happy with this you need to contact kinshuk arya, he is the HID expert and has done it on his XUV.

Regarding bulb life both my bulbs fused around 20k and now i am on the spare ones , crossed 40k already.Checkout bulb prices in snap deal as well.

Last edited:
About bulb fusing, i think you need to check with you r A.S.S for its rectification.

I believe raj_5004 had got some things upgraded FOC to get rid of the bulb fusing.

Get that addressed ASAP before you decide for upgrading the headlamps.

Headlamps in XUV 500 is a mixed bag. The low beams have good spread but high beams are just horrible, especially on curves where only the low beams comes to help.
On the contrary, I have felt the low beams in my car are average and the high beams are excellent, enough to blind an oncoming car.
Even the cornering lights are not activated at times of need.
Cornering lights work only at slow speeds. You dont want to blind an oncoming car on a twisty single lane highway with your 6 bulbs (2 low beam + 2 high beam + 2 cornering lights), do you?!

To make things worse, the low beams goes kaput every 6 months, costing 400 for single bulb replacement.
M&M has replaced the 55W bulbs with 80W ones to stop it from fusing.

Tip: Make sure your automatic headlights are off. If it is on, the lights will come on as soon as you turn on the ignition. When you crank, the older bulbs are known to fuse because of the voltage spike.

I enquired about possible changes to two of the trusted after market auto shops in Coimbatore. While both are not willing to touch the wiring of the car, for some reasons. But one suggests switching all the bulbs to Osram and claims that they have same rated power but are more powerful than regular bulbs and they cost Rs.3500 to replace all four bulbs.
Since XUV already has projectors, you can go for HIDs in the lower beams. For higher beams, stick to normal halogens.

I would suggest that you dont put higher wattage bulbs as they tend to fade the headlamp cover in some time.

Does the Osram bulbs cost that much?
Not much.
And is it really better than stock bulbs with the same rated power?
Yes.

Anyone who has done headlamps modifications to XUV please shed light on the wiring part. Kindly have in mind that this is purely a highway ride, so safety is very important.
Stick to stock bulbs (Osram nighbreaker or Philips Xtreme Vision) so that do dont have to fiddle with the stock wiring.

Thread Starter #5
The one shop who agreed to change the bulbs couldn't do it. Since I was running out of time to go to my native, took the car to ASS and got the bulb changed. They changed the OEM bulb to Osram and claim this has long life compared to the previous Philips. And it costs 285 only.

@Ironrock, adjusting the high beams are a big task, since there is no internal adjustment. What makes matters worse is I want visibility and drivers want something different, so even if get the right setting someone will mess it up.

@superbad, ASS changed the brand and promised that this will last longer.

@Raj, Isn't 80w illegal? How come ASS is installing that?
I don't want to blind others on curves but don't want to illuminate trees and buildings alone and need some light on the road too. Even Vento is much better in the spread of high beams. Regarding cornering lights, I think it's stupid that both side lights come on irrespective of which side you turn. On many occasions, people think i switched to high beam and reciprocated. But wheni want it, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't especially on ghat roads. I'll see how these new bulbs work, I'm not interested in touching the wiring either especially after receiving warning from most people.

@Raj, Isn't 80w illegal? How come ASS is installing that?
I have no idea about that. To be honest, this is just hearsay. I have not physically verified whether they are actually 80W ones.

One thing I can say for sure - after the bulb change at the A.S.S., my car's bulbs have never fused.

Note: We still avoid cranking with auto headlamp on.

I don't want to blind others on curves but don't want to illuminate trees and buildings alone and need some light on the road too. Even Vento is much better in the spread of high beams. Regarding cornering lights, I think it's stupid that both side lights come on irrespective of which side you turn. On many occasions, people think i switched to high beam and reciprocated. But wheni want it, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't especially on ghat roads. I'll see how these new bulbs work, I'm not interested in touching the wiring either especially after receiving warning from most people.
I think the headlamp alignment in your car is off.

I love the headlights of my XUV, especially after driving the Civic. The spread and reach is very good and the high beams are excellent. Even the cornering lights work as intended.

True, it would have been better if individual lights came on depending on which turn you take.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
My high beams are aimed at the centre, both lights, just couple feets apart. Even a part of the high beam reflector appears hidden. Maybe the alignment is wrong like you said. Will check it during the next service.

Regarding cranking with headlamp on, since its micro hybrid, we really can't avoid that. However we don't use auto lamps or micro hybrid.

I am running with 55w HID on Low Beam and Fog Lamps (I don't use them often). As we have Projectors on Low beam it doesn't blind the oncoming traffic. I really want to upgrade to 80w High Beam, will check if ASC can do it during my 1st service.

Thread Starter #9
I am running with 55w HID on Low Beam and Fog Lamps (I don't use them often). As we have Projectors on Low beam it doesn't blind the oncoming traffic. I really want to upgrade to 80w High Beam, will check if ASC can do it during my 1st service.
How does the HID in lowbeam perform? Given that its a halogen projector and not HID one. I've read the projectors for both are different.

I would suggest you go for the Osram night breaker bulbs. One of my friend had installed them on his verna and what a light throw. I am planning to upgrade as well. I'll be changing all the bulbs. 2 low beam - high beam - 2 fog lamps.

Here are few links which may be of your interest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNsQD3wv9kQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JP...&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_93254121

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07j...eature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_1831582599

Thread Starter #11
Oflate, i think the low beam intensity has gone down or I'm just realising it. High beams are much better in XUV.

I would suggest you go for the Osram night breaker bulbs. One of my friend had installed them on his verna and what a light throw. I am planning to upgrade as well. I'll be changing all the bulbs. 2 low beam - high beam - 2 fog lamps.

Here are few links which may be of your interest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNsQD3wv9kQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JP...&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_93254121

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07j...eature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_1831582599
We tried night breakers in our vibe and we like it's performance, it is obviously better than stock bulbs. The problem is, decent aftermarket shops I've visited in coimbatore, aren't changing bulbs on xuv, asking us to go to Mahindra itself. I find this weird, they wouldn't/couldn't(one of them tried) change the bulbs.

Top Bottom