Tyre Upgrade For Ritz VXi - Which Tyre is the Best?

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I drive a Ritz VXi for the past 3.5 years and has so far clocked ~40,000kms and currently looking for a tyre change. At present my Ritzu runs on stock JK Tornadoes 165/80 R14 and going by the tread size i feel it will easily cover another 10,000 for sure. But i want to upgrade to 185/70 R14 primarily for additional stability during cornering, improved braking and to get more ride comfort.

Most of my driving path is through city roads with occasional weekend trips in which i come across bad roads and potholes.

My requisites are as follows:
**The new tyres should be less prone to punctures as the current sets of JK's has never given me a single puncture, the only thing which i liked about them [clap]
**The new sets should behave properly in bad roads and should have less noise
**Good grip on wet as well as dry roads

I am looking to upgrade to either Michelin XM2 or Yoko A drives.

Requesting other experts to chip in with your valuable suggestions. It would be really nice to hear from Ritz owners about their tyre upgrades.

I am living in Trivandrum so suggestions on good tyre dealers in and around the city is also most welcome. [roll]

Thread Starter #3
Thanks jarpickle for your suggestion.

I think i should go with harder compounds so NO to ES100 as they are soft tyres and also it comes with 195 but i am looking for 185.

Any other good tyres - Bridgestone Turanza/apollo aceleres?

People have mixed reaction with Apollos.

Apart from Bridgestone Turanza, there is the Bridgestone Potenza range as well.These are better at handling than the Turanzas

Apollo Accelere are good, I have them stock from FIAT on my Punto. Apart from road noise, these are really good set of tires. I have already done 34000 KMs on my Punto with heavy cornering and what not roads. Tires have may be other 3000-4000 KM life left in it.

Thread Starter #7
Thanks Varun, dharmesh.

I have some good reviews for aceleres but for the tyre noise part. I feel it would be a toss up between XM2 & the G3s.

Still would like to hear more from other Ritz owners.

@Godfather:
Looking at your requirements I'll recommend you the same thing that Dharmesh did. Look no further than Apollo Acceleres, these tires will perfectly ft your requirement, they have got good life, good grip and don't cost high like other tires with softer compound - definitely something a regular driver don't need for his swift.

Hence my vote goes for Acceleres.

My requisites are as follows:
**The new tyres should be less prone to punctures as the current sets of JK's has never given me a single puncture, the only thing which i liked about them [clap]
**The new sets should behave properly in bad roads and should have less noise
**Good grip on wet as well as dry roads
Now the tricky thing in dealing with the Godfather is how to make him an offer he can't refuse[;)]? Anyways, let's go to the mattresses.

Going purely by your requirements:

Less prone to punctures: Soft compounds are out.

Behave properly on bad roads: Softer compounds are out (though they don't hold up THAT bad, why would I want to spend on exotics like GIII if all I wanted to do was to thrash them on bad roads?).

Low tire noise: Accelere/JK/MRF/Good Year are out.

Good grip on wet/dry: Bridgestones, Yokohamas, and Michelins offer better grip than Indian brands.

So we are in the middle of the road really, and since our requirements are in conflict with one another, what we need to look at is the BEST compromise.

The good thing is that there are several options to choose from in the 185/70R14 market.

I would say stick with Turanzas or XM2s. Though you may like to have a look at the Yokohama DB series.

Time to bring out the cannoli?

Thread Starter #11
[lol] Thanks Sam for this offer, you made my day [clap]

Now my next step will be to get quotes for both XM2 & BS Turanzas and go for the better offer.

Thread Starter #12
I am pretty confused again after 2 months. I have said NO to XM2 because of budget constraints.

Last 2 months i was looking for BS Turanza ER60s and the quote which i received was 4800 per piece and after discounts the dealer agreed for 19000/- + wheel alignment and balancing etc. Tried bargaining hard and the dealer is not ready to give more discounts and he is like 'Take it if you need'. [anger] No other dealers is currently stocking Turanzas to make matters worse.

So switched to Apollo Acelere and the dealer was polite enough to say that 4300 per piece and if you are taking 4 there is a 1000 discount. I asked for more price cut and he asked me to drop in to his shop and he will consider. In the mean while he has said that there is a new tyre Apollo Amazer 4G which he claims is better than Acelere's and he quoted the same price.

Would like to know from fellow TAI'ans about Amazer 4G as i am unable to harness online reviews as it was launched only 6 months back. Please guide me as i am looking to finish off the entire process in next 2 weeks.

Using Yokohoma A drive for the last 3 years (40K Kms).No issues other than tire noise above 140 Kmph.Please check on changemytyre.com if you want more choices.The website also provides information about warranty.

Thread Starter #14
Using Yokohoma A drive for the last 3 years (40K Kms).No issues other than tire noise above 140 Kmph.Please check on changemytyre.com if you want more choices.The website also provides information about warranty.
Thanks for the suggestion, yes i am a regular visitor to changemytyre and snapdeal but i am hesitant to do online purchase of tyres primarily because of the manufacturing date. Somewhere i read that these guys sell tyres which are more than 6 months old and hence lower rates.

They had given the address of the stores.You can go there and ask them. If the mfg date is more than 6 months dont buy else you can carry on with the procurement.Also note that they do give additional warranty on tires.

Top Bottom