VW Polo TDI Tyre Life and Upgrade

Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends,

Opening a new thread as I couldnt any threads where I could post my query. MODS: Please change to the relevant sections/ threads if it does not belong here.

My Polo TDI HL has done close to 30K KMS (29450 to be specific). All of the four OEM Appolo Acceleres are almost completely worn out and I am in research for suitable replacement.

I have the habit of maintaining the car well. Here is my tyre service history

~7500 KMS - Alignment balancing and rotation
~15000 KMS - Alignment and Balancing rotation + rotation over rims
~22500 KMS - Alignment balancing and rotation
29313 KMS - Alignment and balancing (along with the 2yr service) - No rotation

Filled nitrogen throughout - at 30 PSI.

Car runs on extremely bad roads of Kerala. During the 2 year service, my SA has told that tyre life of Polos, Ventos and Rapid are very less ~ 25K, some are changed even at 15000 KMS. I feel that is true to a certain extend because one of my relative's Rapid got all 4 worn out and replaced at 22000 KMS.

While looking for replacement, there are very less options for the OE size 185/60-R15. After a lot of research I found Michelin Primacy LC OR Bridgestone MY02 at 195/60 R15 to be the best bet. Looking for silent and comfortable tyre. I have previously used XM1+ it was vory well handling the bad roads in Kerala. But they (or XM2) are not available with the size I need.

Now here is what I would like to get all fellow members input on.

1. What is OE tyre life Polo TDIs? Why is VW saying you should not expect beyond 25K life? Is this car too heavy?
2. Which is the best option one should opt - if looking for silent and comfortable tyre?

Attaching some pics - sorry for the bad quality

Best

Attachments

Hobeez, I was informed by one of our members that Bridgestone makes the Turanza ER300 in the 185/60R15 size now.This is not shown online but it is available with dealers.Do check this out as well.

Tire life depends on a lot of factors.The tire compound where the car is driven, load inside the car etc etc.

You need to get new tires on immediately.There seems to be a piece missing in the last picture.It is not safe to drive around like that.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply jarpickle. This is great news. I just checked with a dealer near me and yes, ER300 is available at 185/60R15.

You are right about factor affecting tyre life. However, this is the least I ever got in any car we owned. We have used bridgestones mostly and michelins in our previous vehicles but all of them lasted atleast 35K to 40K.

Most dealers say that Polos and Ventos has very less life. That is what got my attention. We have marutis, hyundais, tatas and hondas in our family - all these cars ply through mostly the same roads. 35-40 k is average life all these (bridgestones mostly and acceleres on i20) gives. But I am curious why only Polos has this!

Am I

It could be compound used to make the tires, I have not used Apollo tires so I cannot comment on that.

ER300 should serve you well.Just remember that this cannot be rotated like conventional tires since it is asymmetrical.It has inside and outside markings on it and can only be moved front to back.

There are lots of benefits of asymmetric tires though, one of them being they will give you good handling in the wet and dry.

You have taken good care of your current set of tires, just continue to do the same.

Thread Starter #5
Thanks again jarpickle. You are right, and I saw some good reviews for ER300. It should fit to my needs.
Went to three dealers. Prices quoted are as below.

ER300 - 185/60/R15 - Rs. 4900.
XM2 - 195/60/R15 - Rs. 5950.
AR10 - 195/60/R15 - Rs. 5250

None of them has a full fours set available. One has two and the others has three each. Manufacturing months are different as well, all 2012 make. So i didnt buy, need to get them from a single dealer. So thought of buying from Cochin some time next week. Not planning to drive the car much until the tyres are changed.

Heya

I think 195/60 would be a good upgrade for you. And regarding life of the tyres, I have no idea. My Polo still runs on stock tyres (the Apollos are pretty pathetic though) because I've done only slightly more than 18,000 kms.
My Getz runs on Michelin XM1+. They are really good tyres. Good grip and less road noise compared to the stock Bridgestone S322. I got them when my car had done around 29k kms. Now she has done 37k kms and not much wear to show.
If I were you, I'd get the XM2 because I'm having a good run with Michelins.

Regards,
Vipin

Why not make an inquiry at Cochin before your trip.You can surely find a lot of tire dealers in the area that you plan to visit.This way you can bargain on the phone and make sure they have the tires ready when you arrive.

195/60R15 is also good upgrade if you are looking for wider tires.Have you looked into Yokohama?Yokohama Cdrive in the 195/60R15.Make sure you ask for the Cdrive and not the A539.

Try to get as freshly manufactured tires as possible.Inspect the tires thoroughly, take your time while doing this.

hobezz@

Welcome to TAI

Is it SA told about the polo/Vento stock tire? i mean appolo accelere.

My car had all appolo accelere and just completed only 10 k Km (done tire alignment & balancing more than 4 times and done rotation once) and now i can cleraly see the thread depth reduced more than half now and i am sure it'll not last more than 25 K. My car mstly running short trips in the city and highway run is less.

We are also looking for tire upgrade.Our Vento had done 27K Km in 1.5 years and bought as used Car 6.5 months ago.Our Vento's tires are almost getting worn out.Maybe in a month,will change it to new tires.

Thread Starter #10
Sorry folks for late reply. Was little tied up at job.

@jarpickle: Did some more research, went to a dealer at Cochin. After a lot of discussion, I have finalized XM2 195/60R15. They were suggesting 185/65R15. I didnt go for that as it will create more than 3% error as per 1010tires.

I went for 195/60 only because that is the closest size available for XM2.

@Releesh: Both Polo and Vento appears to have very less tyre life. I t is the same for Rapid as well, as it happened to one of my relatives. I am not sure why is it so, even the SA does not give a convincing answer. As jarpickle told, there are many factors affecting tyre life, but whatever it is, I am checking with every Polo TDI owners and it looks like most of them are having low tyre mileage.

Cannot say if it because of Acceleres as I ve seen many i20 owners running fine on them.

That is why I am asking opinions from the forum members around the country.

Sorry folks for late reply. Was little tied up at job.

@jarpickle: Did some more research, went to a dealer at Cochin. After a lot of discussion, I have finalized XM2 195/60R15. They were suggesting 185/65R15. I didnt go for that as it will create more than 3% error as per 1010tires.

I went for 195/60 only because that is the closest size available for XM2.

@Releesh: Both Polo and Vento appears to have very less tyre life. I t is the same for Rapid as well, as it happened to one of my relatives. I am not sure why is it so, even the SA does not give a convincing answer. As jarpickle told, there are many factors affecting tyre life, but whatever it is, I am checking with every Polo TDI owners and it looks like most of them are having low tyre mileage.

Cannot say if it because of Acceleres as I ve seen many i20 owners running fine on them.

That is why I am asking opinions from the forum members around the country.
My experience with Acceleres has been bad as well, though it lasted over 50K on our spark. But in another friend's Vento they were gone before 30K. Either way you are better off getting rid of them as quick as possible and switch to better set of tyres.

Haven't used XM* series and hence can't comment on them. But I have had very good experience with Primacy LC (2 set of tyres) and these are extremely silent. XM2 should be good as well and for your needs it should be better (since Primacy tyres are touring tyres built for silent ride / comfort and hence may not be tough enough to take the rough roads).

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Hi All,

XM2s has done close to 350 Kms in last 6 days. Difference between Acceleres and XM2s are far from obvious. Here is what I have noted

Road Noice: Everyone says XM* series are less noisy than others. Yes it is true - this noted not only when the car is cruising over smooth roads, but when the car passes over graveled roads or rough patches. Earlier I used to hear a lot of rumbling noise. Now it is mostly gone. This might be because of the change from 2+ year old hardened rubber to new softer ones.

Rolling Resistance: This is what I am very happy about. Car is more free on the new tires. This is noted especially when it is coasting while changing gears.

Mileage: 350 Kms is nothing to compare the mileage. I will wait until it run some more kms to check difference.

Speedo error: As per 1010tires, the diameter difference is 1.99% which means, you are ar 101.99 km/h when you speedo reads 100km/h. Odo will also get this error.

Steering Load: Did not feel any difference.

Tyre Pressure: Filled nitrogen. I am testing various pressures. Started with 29psi, increased till 30. Will test till 32 to decide and finalize.

Will post some pictures tomorrow.

A gentle note to everyone: PLEASE make sure you check the manufacturing dates of each tyre you buy. While I was in search I saw ones as old as 3612 - 36th month of 2012 for most brands. These will not be so good because of its age and resultant weathering.

Best,
I will post

Looking forward to the pictures.

Hobeezz I think the 3612 means 36th week of 2012.Meaning they where manufactured somewhere from the 3rd September 2012 to 9th September 2012.

Checking the age is certainly an important thing once you have selected the tires because lets face it, your life will depend on it.Old tires develop cracks sooner and can result in a puncture when driven at higher speeds.

Top Bottom