Tire Upsize Options For Chevy Enjoy : Urgent

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends...

Surprise !![;)]

I am getting the Chevy Enjoy in 2 days. [drive]

I am planning to upgrade the tires as soon as I get the car. Later to alloys.

I have shortlisted a few of them : Potenza G3, Es100 , Accelere.

The stock size is 175/70 R14 (5J rims)(JK Ultima xpc) it looks like the old cross ply tires on Omni.

I am planning to go for 195/60 R14.

Does the warranty get void ? [confused]

What about the mileage drop and speedo error.

The ground clearance is low for this car (165mm) will it effect GC ?

Please let me know the wheel PCD so that I can search for a nice set of alloys.

Sorry for the long list of questions.

Waiting for your quick response.

Last edited:
varun, congrats for new enjoy[clap]

Beware of warranty, check the same with Chevy or read the manual(with vishwas). If upsize allowed then go with BS

Hey Varun brother, Hearty congratultaions first of all...!!!! really I am not familiar with upsizing tires..but really a great surprise all of a sudden! Indeed a good choice!!

Thread Starter #4
varun, congrats for new enjoy[clap]

Beware of warranty, check the same with Chevy or read the manual(with vishwas). If upsize allowed then go with BS
Thanks, will check the warrenty details with Vishwas & dealer.

Hey Varun brother, Hearty congratultaions first of all...!!!! really I am not familiar with upsizing tires..but really a great surprise all of a sudden! Indeed a good choice!!
Thanks, yes a surprise..

Friends 34 views and just 2 replies ! I am waiting..

General motors on fire in india so beware about warranty, Congrats for your New Enjoy varun

Enjoy your Enjoy :P

I am getting the Chevy Enjoy in 2 days. [drive]
Congrats! Looking forward to the "My Modified Chevy Enjoy" thread!

I am planning to upgrade the tires as soon as I get the car. Later to alloys.
Do it simultaneously as you will be able to go for 15" alloys andd tyres.

The ground clearance is low for this car (165mm) will it effect GC ?
When you upsize, use the calculator so the overall diameter does not change more than 2%.

Please let me know the wheel PCD so that I can search for a nice set of alloys.
Should be 100 but let me check.

Waiting for your quick response.
Hope that was quick enough.

BTW since you are from BLR, check with Hercules tyres.

Varun, the options are 185/65R14 and 195/65 R14.

In terms of overall quality the 195/65R14 it should give you a comfortable ride and drain less fuel.Although it is a 0.4 inch increase in OD.

Are you sure the 15" ones will scrape?Why not do a test fit and check.

Thread Starter #8
Congrats! Looking forward to the "My Modified Chevy Enjoy" thread!

Do it simultaneously as you will be able to go for 15" alloys andd tyres.

When you upsize, use the calculator so the overall diameter does not change more than 2%.

Should be 100 but let me check.

Hope that was quick enough.

BTW since you are from BLR, check with Hercules tyres.
Thanks Peter ! The thread name would be the same as you mentioned..
I will not be able to go for alloys right away, need to wait for few months from now. I got the quotes and sizes available from Hercules tires.

Varun, the options are 185/65R14 and 195/65 R14.

In terms of overall quality the 195/65R14 it should give you a comfortable ride and drain less fuel.Although it is a 0.4 inch increase in OD.

Are you sure the 15" ones will scrape?Why not do a test fit and check.
Yes 15" would scrap as the rear wheel arches are bent inside.
Let me try both of them on single rim then if it suits good I will get the same for other four rims.

Congrats varun![clap]

Expecting another exciting thread!!

Coming to the point upsizing of tyres surely gives good looks but it should be done with care. I think the diameter of upgraded wheel should not be larger than 3% of the original.

Bro, I advise not to go for upsizing tyres this time, ENJOY your ENJOY, When you upgrade for alloys then upsize the tyres.

Last edited:
Dear Varun,

Congratulations for your Enjoy! Ain't no surprise to me I guess, right[;)]?

Now to answer your questions:

1. Warranty does get void if you change the tire size. Ask your dealer for more clarity as some dealers do allow it.

2. Revolutions per kilometre for 195/60R14 would be 543 while those for 175/70R14 would be 533. This would give you a 1.87% difference on the lower side on your speedo and odo readings, which is negligible really. Mileage drop would be marginal.

3. 195/60R14 would have a 4.6 inch sidewall as compared to the 4.8 inch sidewall of the 175/70R14. A 0.2 inch reduction in ground clearance would equate to approx 5mm in real life with equal inflation and equal load. So your new ground clearance would be 160mm. Manageable or not, you decide.

4. PCD is 100.

Potenza GIII and ES1000 are silica based tires. While they would provide very good handling and grip, they won't last long due to the silica base.

Awaiting your ownership review. By the way, what colour would you be Enjoying in?

Regards,
Sam

Rakesh, since this his infact is Varun's thread I think its fair to let him enjoy the full extent of unveiling the new car to the forum himself.

Please do not ruin his moment.

congratz varun on the enjoy...
i too had plans for upsizing + alloys but the MASS discouraged me and asked me to wait till my warranty is over

Congrats on the Enjoy Decision. Here are my views about the upgrade

1. Warranty gets void:
Whenever you change the tyres (upsize) the warranty gets void & hence if you face any issues (just an example) with mileage, wheel alignment, suspension noise, ground clearance etc the service center guys will wash their hands saying that the warranty is void on this car. Which is a very risky situation to be in.

2. Mileage problems
Although mileage is not the only factor while buying a car, diesel car buyers will expect a decent mileage from their car, as I believe low running cost is the biggest USP of a diesel car in today's market. As you are aware there are new threads on TAI itself on a few new diesel cars giving suprisingly low mileage & that engine gets changed under warranty. Although I know that it's the National Engine (a.k.a Fiat 1.3 MJD) which is doing duty on the Enjoy, still I feel its too early to go for a tyre upgrade, because you will never know what was the real mileage of the car with stock tyres. Because the difference might be more than acceptable in realtime.

3. It's a new car, you would definately need some time driving it before you can judge if the tyres are really bad/undersized. In case of the LXi variants of Swift & Ritz I always felt that tyre upgrade is an absolute must, but the max size should not be more than that of the ZXi so that in case of any issues, atleast we have a point to prove to the Service center. So even if you upgrade, do not opt for some size which is more than the top variant offering in Enjoy.

My Opinion:
Please do not upgrade this soon (Warranty is very important), wait for sometime use the car for atleast 10K kms & then upgrade to alloys & new tyres. Good Exchange Value seems to be the only +point in this decision. Sorry to discourage you, that's a lot of money spent on the new car, risking with warranty terms isn't something I would suggest you. Check with chevrolet (pref with Email/some written media) about max tyre size allowed under warranty.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
Thanks every one !

Yesterday got the car, was driving back home about 30 kms from the showroom.
I had to hit the nice road for just travelling around 70 kmph I was hearing a screeching noise at turns.

Also I got a chance to check the tires, I was just in 25-30 kmph a dog jumped in I had to apply brakes. Here comes the shock the front wheels got locked up.

So I should at-least get rid of these JK tires. I am planning for 185/70 since it would look almost the same as stock ones.

Yet to decide I am in full confusion, but I know these tires are not meant for my driving style.

Any way here are some pic's.

Attachments

Top Bottom