Tyres and Wheels Upgrade For Fiat Punto

Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends

Good News, Bad News.

Good news is that I have booked a Punto 1.3 Dynamic.
Bad News is that I am hell confused over many things so thought to take help from you guys. As we all know punto dynamic comes with jk tyres 165/80 R14, an upgrade is desirable. I have following options.

Option 1- Upgrade the tyres only to 185/70 R14, brand is yet to be decided.
Pros: Better grip and handling and minimum dent to wallet.
Cons: Low GC (Atleast 2.5mm) however ride sould be more planted because of this.
Option 2- Upgrade tyres and switch to R14 Alloys.
Pros: I myself am not sure if there is any other utility of alloys other than cosmetic one.
Cons: 98 PCD is hard to find in aftermarket alloys so I may have to look upon Fiat OEM
Option 3- Switch to R15 steel rims ( I have seen one member getting linea stock rims with wheel caps and they look cool) and 195/60 tyres( Stock size for emotion)
Pros: Incresed GC and more grip, cosmetic efffect
Cons: I am worried if the handling will be negatively affected because of high GC.
Option 4- I saw fiat original R15 alloys at atyre shop today and he asked for 2500 a piece. Alloys were used for some time dealer said he can't say how long. There were few scratches here and there and faded paints. The dealer said he can get them painted if I want. I am not sure as I am not a pro to decide the quality, genuinity and VFM factor for these.

Option 1 will be lightest on wallet [clap]. I would like to hear your views on these options pros and cons both.

Last edited:
Re: Tyres and Wheels upgrade for PUNTO

If you can find Fiat original 15" alloys you should get them.Check them thoroughly as alloys tend to crack.Cosmetic scratches can be fixed but cracks cannot.One of the disadvantages of buying used alloys.Check the pice of new ones at the dealership and then try to heavily bargain on the price since they are used.The car shops buy back alloys pretty cheap.

The 15" rims and tires will give you good handling and GC based on the tires you select.You will have more options as well.

Option 1 is the best. There are many tyre brands available in 185/70R14 size and you would be spoilt for choice. The Punto comes with 185mm ground clearance and a reduction on 2.5mm is nothing to worry about.

The Emotion version is sold with 15 inchers shod with 195mm tyres. Benefit = better handling at the cost of slightly harsher ride.

Go for option 1.

Thread Starter #4

The Emotion version is sold with 15 inchers shod with 195mm tyres. Benefit = better handling at the cost of slightly harsher ride.

Go for option 1.
Ohhh I was thinking high GC would lead to less planted ride?
Can someone tell me how to use multi quote like i want to reply to many people and quoting their post in one single post?

Last edited:
@Sam:The ride won't get any harsher than it already is,if he upgrades to 15" wheels.

His best bet in 15" is the 195/65R15 which will be a 2.4% change in OD which is acceptable.It will give his better handling and keep the ride quality good too.It will also help make his ride a little more fuel efficient.

@me2us2me:High GC will make the ride softer but less planted.The higher sidewall will flex when you turn at higher speeds.

Option 3- Switch to R15 steel rims ( I have seen one member getting linea stock rims with wheel caps and they look cool) and 195/60 tyres( Stock size for emotion)
Pros: Incresed GC and more grip, cosmetic efffect
Cons: I am worried if the handling will be negatively affected because of high GC.
Good option. PS
1.Get the suspension tuned properly.
2.Check the tire edges do not scratch with body.Test it will 5 people on board.
3.Odo settings if any.

Speedo adjustments are not needed unless they have speed guns in your area.The most speed error that you would see with my suggestion would be 4 kmph.

The suspension tuning is not needed on a brand new car.Why don't you save yourself some trouble and get the alloy wheels from the dealer itself or get the second hand ones from the Emotion fitted.

Before you change the wheels and tires please ask the dealer about the warranty.A lot of companies will void warranty if wheels and tires are changed.The safest bet is to order a set of alloys from FIAT itself and get it fitted at the dealer.You can go with the 195/60R15 or 195/65R15 tires.

Option 4- I saw fiat original R15 alloys at atyre shop today and he asked for 2500 a piece. Alloys were used for some time dealer said he can't say how long. There were few scratches here and there and faded paints. The dealer said he can get them painted if I want. I am not sure as I am not a pro to decide the quality, genuinity and VFM factor for these.

Option 1 will be lightest on wallet [clap]. I would like to hear your views on these options pros and cons both.
Go for option 4 after checking the condition. I think 2500 is a steal for original Fiat Alloys.

Check the pice of new ones at the dealership and then try to heavily bargain on the price since they are used.The car shops buy back alloys pretty cheap.
They are close to 20K a piece at the dealer. So I don't think 2500 is expensive.

Top Bottom