Leads To Tune Up Performance in Bangalore

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

Tried a lot with Maruti and given up. My SX4 (1.6L VVT Engine, Petrol) needs some tune up for its performance. It runs out of steam with A/C on post 80-90 Kmph. I have driven other SX4's which do much better.

While driving in city limits, torque feels low and engine noise/vibration goes high very early thereby giving a feeling of lack of smoothness and power.

I suspected a carbonated spark-plug. Service men declared it fit and told me that power is fine. I made several attempts with them.

Now I need some one to refer me to a private mechanic who is skilled and trustworthy. Refer as in if you personally know someone whom I can meet, discuss and work this out. Since, it's a recent purchase I don't want to risk it by letting it's engine opened by some garage where I don't have any clue and trust.

Thanks,

Enjoy~!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is sx4 OBD2 compliance? If yes then connect a OBD2 reader and check for MAF sensor reading/ Fuel trim/o2 sensor reading.
There might be thousands of reason why car feel underpower. Coming from Close loop problem to clutch problem. It needed to check one by one.
(BTW I am not from b'lore, so wont be able to help you directly.. I am sure others can answer you)

Thread Starter #4
Hello,

Bumping this up instead of a new thread. Had left it off with those issues still prevailing at a bit minor level. Engine was smoother and a bit more torqy after it's 3rd service when they did clutch bleeding and engine oil/oil filter.

Now, it's evident with a slight wobble at clutch release that clutch plate needs a change. Engine is still smooth, but on highway's it runs out of steam, takes longer to reach higher speeds. I spoke to dealer and they quoted 1.8k for clutch plate. Now they are quoting 4k for complete clutch kit saying clutch plate alone cannot be replaced. I'm a bit confused.

What difference would it make if I change the plates. Any advantage of replacing whole kit (my budget is a concern too). And I assume only plates can be changed, correct me. Thanks.

Regards,
Arya

How many kms has your car done? Guessing you have a heavy foot,cars with just clutch change in my experience feel bad to use,get the set changed,besides labour charges are not cheap,so get the set changed,guessing 8k should be your total

Thread Starter #6
Can you elaborate what would I go through with only clutch plate change. My car has done 34k kms so far. Everything seems smooth unless u really notice the power is not up to SX4 petrol standards. Also, A/c on takes a huge toll on performance.

Thanks.

Clutch disc alongwith pressure plate need to be changed. Also check up the Fly wheel.

There are different compaines make clutch Assembly for maruti like Ceekay,Valio etc..
It may not be perfect, when you use a new clutch disc with a different make presurre plate.
If clutch disc reaching the end of its life, you can feel it on clutch pedal and it may feel difficult to move the vehicle with load and especially Ac.Some times, when reverseing or on hard acceleration you can get clutch burning smell.

Last edited:
Thats fine kms you have done,I have changed clutch set on my Swift petrol around same km as you,I was more of drag racer style then. So clutch,pressure plate & flywheel are included in set. I have driven another swift with just cltch change,pressing pedal felt terrible,it had a weird bounce .just think of the times you use cltch while driving,besides labour charge would be same I think.

Last edited:
^^ Fly wheel not included in the standard clutch assembly,We need to buy it seperate.s dealer said it comes as a set(Clutch disc+Pressure plate)

^ ok was'nt aware of that,but ya in my Car they change it with flywheel. Am sure thats the best way to go,i did hear some getting some work done or Lathe & re using it, dont know how far that is true,its a heavy solid metal part as far as i am aware.

Its always suggested to change the set as whole.This is because the disk ,pressure plate and flywheel will be in different worn out condition.
If only one or two of these parts are changed the smoothness will not be there.
At 34K Km ,clutch set change is not an issue.Its best to be done in time to avoid a clutch failure.
To check for imminent clutch failure ,park the vehicle on an incline and check the effort (pressure) you need to start moving.The lesser you have to press better clutch life.

Thread Starter #12
Prads: How much did you pay for clutch and disc. Should not be a huge difference with SX4. If I should go for complete replacement, then I shall wait another 2-3 months.

At inclined planes (like coming out of office/mall's underground parking), one/two persons seated, without A/C, I can release clutch carefully and slowly and let the car drive up the top without touching accelerator. But when I'm standing in signal, and all of sudden traffic races at green light, if i don't release carefully and put less/no pressure on gas peddle, car will wobble. With decent gas peddle press, wobbling can be avoided. Now how do you suggest the situation is here?

I have other concerns as well. Observed a weird vibration at front at speeds of 140-160 kmph. Also, a grunting noise when I go over bumps early morning/or after long hours of parking (from front shock absorbers I believe). This noise will vanish after about 4-5 mins of driving. Need suggestions on these.

Thanks again for your responses. Probably handing over my car to Bimal this thursday for servicing.

Arya

Thread Starter #13
Update: Given for service.

Regarding clutch he said 8.5k for complete clutch assembly kit. Only plates change not recomended. They are doing clutch bleeding for now, I would get it done later.

Suspension noise - Link rod is done for both front suspension. Rs. 600 each rod.

Vibration at high speed - They are rotating tires, asked me to keep proper tyre pressure. Also saying they can see bent in right front tyre.

Lets see how it goes when I get it back.

Thanks.

^ Sorry for late reply,i remember paying around 7500- 8000 including labour for my swift,it was a while ago i think 2011.

Anyways a little heads up about the stated 8.5k price,am sure thats not including labour,cos i checked parts price list for SX4 petrol. If its including labour then thats a good deal.
If not including labour expect additional 3k easy along with taxes.

I guess 40,000 km is a good round figure for you to change it.

PS- i usually see front left tires abused,your the first case with a bend front right [:)].

Last edited:

Top Bottom