Ford Ecosport - Tyres & Wheels Upgrades

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,
I have booked Ecosport and thinking to upgrade to alloys as soon as I take delivery of the car. I found online stores like snapdeal selling alloys online. Is it good to go for them or better to go to real time stores to avail some more offers.
Also, is it possible to exchange stock steel rims to alloys for a deal?

350Z

Core Team
Re: Online Automotive Accessories Stores

I have booked Ecosport and thinking to upgrade to alloys as soon as I take delivery of the car. I found online stores like snapdeal selling alloys online. Is it good to go for them or better to go to real time stores to avail some more offers.
Personally I recommend physically choosing the accessories as expensive as alloys. You can survey the prices online first but actual stores are more flexible in offering discounts.

Also, is it possible to exchange stock steel rims to alloys for a deal?
Yes, I think so but it will be more logical to sell them separately to avail a better price.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3
Hi all,
I understand that this is very early to start a wheel and tyre upgrade thread for the ecosport but provided the fact that the stock tyres particularly MRFs are not upto the mark and that many friends here have prebooked the car, I feel it is obvious to start this thread.
So guys, lets discuss the best set of wheels and tyres, places to get them reasonably in various cities and all such queries regarding the Ecosport.

350Z

Core Team
....provided the fact that the stock tyres particularly MRFs are not upto the mark and that many friends here have prebooked the car, I feel it is obvious to start this thread.
My car is also running on the same stock tyres and I’d anyday consider upgrading to Michelins. Tell us the budget and requirement to help us guide you better.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Buying locally is much better because the online deals don't include wheel installation and wheel alignment and wheel balancing(WAWB).You can get the tires, alloys and installtion and WAWB as a package deal and get more discounts.Try different dealers and bargain a lot, be aggressive in the bargaining.

Michelin tires are quiet unlike Bridgestone tires that are noisy.Apart from that both of they are equally good.Check the date of manufacture of the tires, they should not be more than a couple of months old.6 at the most, even then look for fresher stock.For SUV type tires check out the Yokohama Geolander tires.Even Maxxis has some good offroad type tires.Just be aware that the offroad type tires are not as great on road.Try to get all terrain tires that would be a good balance like the Geolanders.

As for alloys try to stay away from Chinese stuff.Inspect the alloys thoroughly, don't just go after the finish.Get the warranty details in writing.

After getting the car get the underbody coating done from a reputed place like 3M.They have different packages and you can select one that fits your requirements and budget.

Thread Starter #6
My car is also running on the same stock tyres and I’d anyday consider upgrading to Michelins. Tell us the budget and requirement to help us guide you better.

Drive Safe,
350Z
My budget is around 20-25k for 5 alloys alone and in case if the tyres are really bad I will upgrade to better ones some 3-6 months later. BTW Ecosport comes with both MRF and Goodyear I think. Is there much difference between them quality wise and if so is it possible to select the better ones from the dealer end?

Thread Starter #7
Buying locally is much better because the online deals don't include wheel installation and wheel alignment and wheel balancing(WAWB).You can get the tires, alloys and installtion and WAWB as a package deal and get more discounts.Try different dealers and bargain a lot, be aggressive in the bargaining.

Michelin tires are quiet unlike Bridgestone tires that are noisy.Apart from that both of they are equally good.Check the date of manufacture of the tires, they should not be more than a couple of months old.6 at the most, even then look for fresher stock.For SUV type tires check out the Yokohama Geolander tires.Even Maxxis has some good offroad type tires.Just be aware that the offroad type tires are not as great on road.Try to get all terrain tires that would be a good balance like the Geolanders.

As for alloys try to stay away from Chinese stuff.Inspect the alloys thoroughly, don't just go after the finish.Get the warranty details in writing.

After getting the car get the underbody coating done from a reputed place like 3M.They have different packages and you can select one that fits your requirements and budget.
Thanks a lot [:)] I will surely make a note of all this and go accordingly

Drive Safe,
350Z
My budget is around 20-25k for 5 alloys alone and in case if the tyres are really bad I will upgrade to better ones some 3-6 months later. BTW Ecosport comes with both MRF and Goodyear I think. Is there much difference between them quality wise and if so is it possible to select the better ones from the dealer end?

Btw, if the dealer doesn't give you good rate on the buyback on the old rims at least hang on to the wheel covers.The wheel covers for most new cars are extremely pricey.

Re: Booked a New Ecosport? Let Us Know

Guys, my cars came with MRFs, and I am not very happy running them. Not that I found anything wrong, but the very thought that I am running ZV2K isn't giving me peace of mind.

To upgrade (not upsize), I have so far considered the following:

GY Assurance: 5800/- The other OEM, said to be better than ZV2K, but still not top notch.

Yoko ES501: 8000/- Silent, but too soft and said to have bad grip in wet.

Primacy 3 ST: 9400/- LC replacement, soft, some reviews suggest that it wears out fast.

I want more grip than what ZV2K provides but don't want super-soft tyres due to bad Bangalore roads.

Any suggestions/other options?

Re: Booked a New Ecosport? Let Us Know

I've narrowed down to Bridgestone Potenza G III - not too soft and better grip than MRF ZV2K.

Reposting here since I don't think I will get any reply on my Ford Ecosport ownership thread -

Sorry to admit this but I have not been regular with Balancing and Alignment routine. Hence, the front two tyres have worn out and have reached the tread indicator level. Whereas the rear tyres and the stepney have more tread still left.
Should I change the front two tyres right now and get the rest replaced later? Or get all of them changed together? Asking because of the Sale ongoing on Amazon.

Stock size options i.e. 205/60 R16 -
1) Kenda KR-10 - 3800 per tyre - Online reviews claim them to be reliable but unknown performance.
2) Falken Azenis PT722 - 5000 per tyre - Has good reviews on Tyrereview.co.uk
3) Yokohama Bluearth AE50 - 5500 per tyre - Online reviews claim them to be Noisy after some kms. Neither are they grippy.
4) Bridgestone Turanza T001 - 7500 per tyre - No idea
5) Michelin Primacy 4st - 7800 per tyre (Locally available for 8200 per tyre) - Great performance according to online reviews, but iffy reliability because of softer compound.

Not-so-Stock size options -
6) Michelin Primacy 4st 205/65 - 7000 per tyre - 3.14% slower which is beyond permissible 3% - Considering since they are CHEAPER than Stock size
7) Michelin Pilot Sport 4st 205/50 - 8300 per tyre - 3.14% faster - PILOT SPORTS for just 500 bucks more than Primacy!!! What more do I need to say? :D

MRFs were very reliable. I guess I had atmost 2 punctures over past 44000 kms. They had ample grip and never failed me even in wet conditions. Only con for past 25,000 kms was its Noise. I won't comment on Comfort as this also depends on the suspension and tyre pressure, but yes they weren't plush.

I am a sucker for 'Value for Money'. I think its better to go for an expensive tyre which has better performance and reliability and runs for 40-50,000 kms, instead of a cheap tyre which will not perform well, by virtue of its cost, and may conk off within 20-30,000 kms. But, Exceptions always occur.
As you can see Kenda is at HALF the price of Michelins. I will prefer to go for Michelins, ONLY IF they offer me peace of mind, no noise, great grip for 50k+ kms. And if Kendas or Falken or Yokos are good enough, then I'll get them.

Top Bottom