Turbocharging Mitsubishi Lancer ala Fiat Linea T-Jet

Thread Starter #1
I own a mitsubishi lancer which needs steroids.

Is it a wise decision to replicate a Linea T-jet system on the lancer minus the Intercooler? (The t-jet also missed an intercooler if I remember correctly.)

The objective is to be able to source quality spares from the company and get a foolproof install.

Turbocharging is a good idea. Lancer is a regular fuel injected engine and T-Jet is a direct injection setup.

If you are planning to run a low boost setup 4-5 psi, you may be able to manage without a intercooler but you may run slightly higher IATs though. Its always better to run an intercooler if you plan to run higher boost.

Im not very sure if you get readymade or OEM ready-swap turbo setup for the India Lancer. You maybe able to source suitable parts from other Mitsubishi models and retrofit them on to your Lancer.

Keep us updated. Good luck.

Thread Starter #3
I just intend to take the turbo setup and install it on my lancer, more like a plug and play setup with additional parts from Fiat.

The only reason I am planning on a replicating such a plug and play setup is to ensure reliability and availability of spares which is an issue with after market installers.

I have seen numerous cars bust their engines after turbo installs by aftermarket tuners.

If not T-jet, can I replicate the Ford Ecoboost or Polo GT setup in a similar manner?

Last edited:
I doubt if you could use many parts from Fiat/Ford/VW polo etc. other than the turbo itself.
The exhaust port spacing and bolt pattern maybe different on each and so the manifold itself may not fit on to your Lancer.

You also need to fabricate intake plumbing and exhaust (turbo manifold/dump pipe/exhaust/muffler).

Sometimes its the tuning (rather lack of it) to blame for issues/failures. One also has to consider the limits of the engine. The weakest link may give up as you up the boost/performance.

I just intend to take the turbo setup and install it on my lancer, more like a plug and play setup with additional parts from Fiat.

The only reason I am planning on a replicating such a plug and play setup is to ensure reliability and availability of spares which is an issue with after market installers.

I have seen numerous cars bust their engines after turbo installs by aftermarket tuners.

If not T-jet, can I replicate the Ford Ecoboost or Polo GT setup in a similar manner?
Get proper maintenance done on your car before you go for a turbo setup.Once you do make sure you use oil that is turbo certified.

How many kms has you car done, what kind of maintenance have you done so far?

@ devarshi84
Let me level with you,what your expectations are like for example to make an old non turbo Tata Sumo(Spacio) engine into a commonrail(crdi) Tata Safari Dicor engine.
Now lets get back to Earth cos even the ordinary plug & play system as you call it is only a term used for the aftermarket ecu's ,so regular turbo setup is not an easy task in itself & also not a cheap one.
And if you thought Linea T jet parts were easy to order(oem) or cheap to purchase well i am pretty sure you will kick yourself there.

I am not a complete expert but i have had my share of knowledge. So i shall pitch in.
You can look at the Turbo set up used for the Mitsubishi Evo 5 or look at widely used common Turbos like the ones from Garrett,models have changed so i cant tell you which one you need.So sit down with a tuner & do your research.
But i suggest Malaysia is the best place to get the turbo kit from.You need to keep the boost low (for Swift Petrol 1.3 its under 6 psi) or you will need to rebuilt the engine to handle the pressure & add new stronger rings etc.Also suggested thanks to our fuel octane levels.

My friend(lost touch) had picked up a Garrett i thing model was called "t25" from Malaysia for his 2002 Honda city Vtec. he has changed the struts or springs on the suspension i think & the piggyback ecu was from Greddy.
Another friend had a Baleno which was turbo'd & i remember him telling me his boost was at low psi so he was using inter cooler from Swift diesel & he got it somewhere cheap for 1900 rupees.
If you want a loud blow off sound make sure the blow off valve is placed near to the Turbo & at a ventilated area,i suggest you go for Blitz brand as they are well know for giving a loud sound.
Ecu & timing is a thing to be discussed with the tuner.

Top Bottom