Garmin Brings New Low-Cost GPS Devices To India

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Garmin has launched four new GPS devices in India for buyers with different budgets.

> Nüvi 42 LM: Rs.8,990

> Nüvi 52 LM: Rs.9,990

> Nüvi 2460 LM: Rs.13,990

> Nüvi 2568 LM: Rs.16,990

Garmin Corporation, a unit of Garmin Ltd., the global leader in satellite navigation, today cemented their reach in the Indian PND market with the launch four new products. The four PNDs -- nüvi 42LM, nüvi 52LM, nüvi 2460 LM and nüvi 2568 LM – will help Garmin consolidate its position as it has maximum number of PNDs by a company in Indian market.The prices of the four devices are kept at Rs 8990, Rs 9990, Rs 13990 and Rs 16990 respectively.

The latest launch took place exactly one year after the launch of cost effective nüvi 40LM,nüvi 50LM. “With the launch of these devices we are ensuring that people should get the world class experience in navigation. Being a company which has reached a mark of selling more than 110 million products, we take it as our responsibility to constantly upgrade our products and this is an attempt in that direction,” says Tony An, Sales and Marketing Director, Garmin Corporation.

Loaded with unique features the new devices will make search easier with predictive text for thecomfort of the user. Devices are powered with New Guidance User Interface, which helps the user search destinations at ease. Device will also keep the record of search according to category and creates a shortcut list which enables user to search faster and preview multiple route preferences. New Guidance also helps the user in finding parking lots near their destination. The user-friendly guidance system also provides option of multi-routes to choose from.

A feature that stands out in these devices is the photoReal Junction View. The junction view available in earlier devices was animated but these new devices will have actual picture of the junction that will make navigation easier for the user. The company plans to keep working on this aspect to cover maximum number of places to make navigation simpler. To enhance the experience of travelers to historical monuments and tourist spots, the company has added a feature in the devices that will provide details of the places user is visiting. In just one click user will know everything about the historical place or the tourist spot and will help him/her in getting an informed tour of the place.

Company has also tied up with Zomato.com, a website that deals with extensive information on recreational facilities, to help the customers get more information about the restaurants. The newly launched devices like other Garmin devices will have broadcast in Hindi, Indian English and 9 other Indian regional languages.

Some of the unique features are Lane Assist guiding to the proper lane for navigation, AdvancedHighway Mode telling you approaching exist on highway, New House Search Algorithm for easier search, Text-to-speech speaking street names in Indian English, Voice Guidance available both in Hindi and English, and Go To Office/ Go Home with a simple click.
Photo - 01.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

There are more new products from Garmin in the line now, all of them with free lifetime map updates. Do they have any feature to compete with 3D maps in mapmyindia?. Me too planning to buy a GPS unit. Reviews and product comparisons are welcome.

bhvm

Honoured Member
this is overpriced crap.
I've been using my Samsung note 1 with offline map my India for about 10,000 kms without any hassles and not to mention the BEAUTIFUL and responsive screen.

these dedicated GPS toys are difficult to understand(pricing )

this is overpriced crap.
I've been using my Samsung note 1 with offline map my India for about 10,000 kms without any hassles and not to mention the BEAUTIFUL and responsive screen.

these dedicated GPS toys are difficult to understand(pricing )
[surprise] Whats the pricing point as there is not much hardware in a GPS device. Is it the licensing? Any Android phone is now giving a good map when connected through data.

bhvm

Honoured Member
[surprise] Whats the pricing point as there is not much hardware in a GPS device. Is it the licensing? Any Android phone is now giving a good map when connected through data.
I'm not too sure. Perhaps as These are Outside brands and have to pay Heavy Taxes (As an Import) in India. On The other Most mobile phones are Assembled in India. These GPS devices are not only overpriced but also have Low Res and Pathetic displays. You also miss out on various Phone sensors and functions. A phone is all in one!

I also Tried GPS on my Dad's Micromax. So Any Phone upwards of 10K with 5+ Inch screen is perfectly capable for GPS use. Just plug it into Car charger and away we go!

There was some thread on this forum where we did extensive discussion on the above matter, Could'nt find it. I will prefer OFFLINE GPS maps only. Please stay away from Google maps. Better try Sygic, Navfree or such apps.

For offline maps in mobile you can check HERE MAPS by NOKIA. It's a good one but for the offline nav you have to download the map data of your region. Have a try it's a good one.

Last edited:
For offline maps in mobile you can check HERE MAPS by NOKIA. It's a good one but for the offline nav you have to download the map data of your region. Have a try it's a good one.
Yes its very useful one. I'm using it for over a year now and im well satisfied with it.

The best Android app for Offline navigation with voice guidance is 'Sygic MirrorLink Navigation' also known as Sygic India. Its great for cars with Mirrolink. Offline maps can be downloaded once and it good to go after that. I am using it from 2 months and it has a great coverage. It is also easy to use and totally free. Your mobile turns into a full time GPS without wasting a single penny.

Last edited:
I am also planning to buy http://www.snapdeal.com/product/garmin-nuvi-42-lm/1066392279#bcrumbSearch:|bcrumbLabelId:311 from snapdeal.

The main reason is mobile phones work great in cities but once you are in interior places getting GPS lock is difficult.

Few days back we had to face this issue as signal strength was very poor due to heavy rush (Godavari Pushkaraulu) and having offline maps was waste as we had to ask people for directions and BIL came 5 Kms to take us home.

If anyone has other suggestions, please let us know as I haven't ordered yet.

Thanks.

I haven't used any standalone GPS devices, and would like to try it. So far these are what I have used:

1) HERE Maps (originally by Nokia): It's got offline maps, quite accurate and updated frequently. Works well with Android phones. Download the entire India map offline (1.2 GB), disable data connection and fire up GPS. Works great on the highways, even in places where there is no network signal. When I go abroad I download the destination country's map on HERE, disable data and remove SIM once there to save money. Then I fire up GPS and behold, the offline map comes up quite nicely without data. Pairing it with public free Wi-Fi gives better result.

2) Google Maps: No introduction needed. Only gripe is it works badly where data connection drops. Doesn't work only on GPS properly as against offline HERE Maps.

3) Waze: It's a 'social map' app where you see real-time traffic updates by other users. If you are stuck in jam, you can also update your status with a single touch so that people will know. The app will use its algorithm to notify all users of heavy traffic places to avoid. The map itself is quite basic but very clean and error-free. No offline download. Data connection is a must.

There is some confusion when people say their so and so map app works bad without data. Certain maps don't work properly without data, but using a reliable offline map with only GPS turned on and no data connection on the highways works fine, in my experience.

Anyway, TAIgers, please suggest a good budget GPS device at maximum 10K budget. It will be my first standalone GPS device. I have been seeing some products online, but am unable to see the differentiating points among the products.

Anyway in TAI, have recently bought the Garmin GPS device. I am planning to buy Garmin Nuvi 42LM but from several online review says that that the maps are not at all accurate in India?

Any detail review by some one who purchased GPS device from Garmin recently?

Seems from the Posts above. I need to move up from Google Maps, which has been a trip saver for years now for me. But will other Maps really work without any Data Connection?? Doesn't GPS requires Data Connection too ??

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom