Tata Nano Performance Modifications

Thread Starter #1
The reason why I like tuning the Nano is because it has got a lot of potential. For me is not important what ranking a car has got at the scale of status symbolism. I prefer to look at the fun factor. And having driven the Nano to the extreme in presence of the dealer representative I have enjoyed the ride in the middle of Mumbai. Giving it a bit more poke will make it even more fun. Other improvements necessary when going over a certain amount of extra power are fairly easily to implement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: K&N Air Filters

@drifter [clap] for choosing nano to modify. none of the performance modifiers are willing to and also they look me down when i ask for the price or just simply ask" can i put this in nano" even maruthi 800 they modify.. why not nano. about the AF i thing the stock one matches with the fiat linea/punto's petrol. exhaust is entirely a new thing al-around it comes less than a meter of length.
are the engine are capable of taking this heavy mods? people say the build quality is poor

Please note: the rear gets heated up very soon on stock parts for 50+km in heavy traffic. any way to bring down the heat?

Thread Starter #3

The modifiers that look down on you are not worth mentioning. Forget them, they have an attitude problem.

The engine can take quite a bit more. I personally am not worried before giving it in excess of 30% more power. However, I am looking first of all getting more bottom end torque, which is where the acceleration can be improved and the fuel consumption lowered.

For the exhaust I will need quite a bit of time as I am missing some vital data.

The air intake revision I hopefully will be able to sort out soon. I have to work on it from memory and some pictures. I might need some assistance in taking some specific measures.

@drifter i can help dude. what data you need for exhaust. i will try to get if possible.

and more over people are not interested in modifying nano because the feel its not worth to power up a 2 lac car with 38BHP. instead they go for second hand maruthi swift , alto or wagonr and also santro

BTW what will be the exact cost for the air intake?
and if you do remap. please remove the speed limiter which is 105kmph for older nano and 110 for 2012 version. in rpm 5500 is the max
fuel cut off at each gear

1-30kmpl
2-60kmpl
3-80kmpl
4-110(105-older)kmpl

Thread Starter #5

All these people see is that it is the cheapest car in the world, has got a 2 cylinder engine and an acceleration figure of 33 seconds from 0 to 100kph (first generation engine).

I see a lot of potential. My first goal is to get the intake revised. What the actual cost are is difficult to say, but I doubt it will be more 9.5k. This should see the early engine below 30 seconds to the sprint of 100kph.

Once this is sorted and I have acceleration data as well as power graphs the exhaust system will be attacked.

I am sure we can raise the rpm limit. However, first I would like to find out why the limit was set this low.

i have asked it directly to tata motor . they say its for increasing the engine life and also they said if the car is runninng more than 110kmph it would cause the valves gaskets sealing to get damaged easily and also for fuel efficiency.

Thread Starter #7

Obviously, the faster you go the worse is the fuel return.

Regarding the rpm I am sure that it will be safe to at least 6000rpm. Increasing the compression ratio should see a good torque increase. However, this might require higher rated fuel.

Thread Starter #9

Going a bit slow right now on the Nano front. The reason for it you will see in the picture below. Some other car saw my flying of. Other than spinal injuries slowing me down, I am waiting for the insurance to settle the claim that I can buy another car.

Don't know what the scanner supports. I had not been able to get my hands on a Nano other then test driving it and trying to take the engine compartment apart in a dealership.

Attachments

@drifter
so sad to hear that you had a hit. :(
which car is that? BTW i like the stickers on the hood. how did the accident happen?
GET WELL SOON

its better you get a nano for your own and mod it. and later you can use it as a demo car for the upgraders :)

Thread Starter #11

Someone decided to take me out (not driving with due care and attention) by getting into my lane and side swiping me. The other car was nearly twice as heavy and at the moment it hit me I just came out of a depression unsettling the car. I was going about 70kph. Despite trying to correct I was only a passenger from that moment on. The car flipped through the air, landed on the roof (The other side looks nearly untouched) and the was rolling back on its wheel. Despite spinal injuries I was able to get out of the car and can say that I was lucky to have survived. Shame that the car is finished. It was handling ever so well. It was a Fiat Seivento Sporting Abarth with some modifications of mine. I will get another one soon.

The sticker is an Abarth scorpion. It was on the car when I got it.

As soon as I can spend more time in India I will get a Nano. And it will be modified. However, in the meantime I will develop components for the Nano.

@drifter. thank god you survived!
i got the OBD2 scanner. its working with nano. it shows 8 data. rpm, mileage speed voltages and 3 sensor temperature and vacuum pressure.
non ECU data like trip, 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile 1/8 mile are also there.
i guess the fuel sensor is not connected to ECU (its not showin any values here)

How to find the protocol of ECU. ? BTW the car's ECU is from Bosch.

Thread Starter #13

Sorry, I was a bit bogged down with far too much work and have overlooked this post.

Fuel pressure is not monitored. Would be interesting to see what readings you get.

Unfortunately I had no time to make progress on Nano AIR.But this will change soon.

Hello Drifter,

I am new to this site. I own a Nano and would like to improve its performance specially in the lower gears.

I really appreciate the effort you are taking to design an AF for Nano. Please let me know how are you with this.

Top Bottom