Upgrading Headlamps - Mahindra XUV500

Thread Starter #1
@mods: please merge it with any other lightning query thread if required.

Hi All,

I have recently purchased an XUV 5OO and want to upgrade the headlights. Not that they are insufficient but because I like my eyes to be as less strained as possible.

Now I dont have much budget lets say somewhere around 7-8k for the complete upgrade. so anything related to upgrading the electrical system is out of the picture.

The way I see it I have the following options:

1. Upgrade to HIDs for both (55W) Low beam and (55W)High Beam. The problem with this is that while using dipper the HID might be harmed in the high beams and I use my dipper quite frequently in the idiotic Pune traffic.

2. Upgrade to HIDs in Low beam (55W) and an Osram Nightbreaker for the High Beams (55W or 100W). For this option I would like to know if there would be any trouble to the stock wires, reflector and glass in case I decide to upgrade to 100W halogen in high beam, by trouble I meant anything in the short run. I am not really concerned to what happens to the reflector 5 years donw the line.

3. A pair of 55W Auxiliary lights. Now since budget is a constraint I would very much appreciate if you can tell me the exact models which I can get in my budget. Hella, KC Hilites or any other good brand. With this mod the problem is that it will involve drillign holes either in the bumper or in the front tubes behind the front bumper. Is it a good idea to drill holes there or will the structural integrity be compromised?

4. Upgrade to 100W Nightbreakers in both Low beam and High beam. With this do I run the risk of cracking the projector with the heat or not in the low beam setup of XUV?

Thanks and regards,
Kinshuk

Re: Substitute Lights

The best option IMHO in your case will be 55w HID 4300K for low beam,

And Osram Nightbreaker 100w for high. HID runs cooler than halogens, so projector is safe, Osram will have no ill effects on reflectors.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Want brightest Low beam HID for XUV 500

Okay, I am looking to upgrade the low beams on my XUV 500. Current setup is a 55w H7 halogen with decent cutoffs in a projector system. I was looking forward to stuffing it with 70W True HID Kits. I thought 55w HIDs would be best but then I heard horror stories that they're same 35w Bulbs overdriven with 55w ballasts that means short life.
So next step comes 70W HID kits. Please advice about 70W HID kits. Especially the heat and Radiation issues.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Everyone!
My Thread was merged with this one. I didn't notice there was a thread already!
I'm too looking forward to upgrade the lights on my XUV 500. They're decent but I aspire for more.
First Problem is that the low beams have some sort of lower shield, causing a shadow about 5 meters from the vehicle. This is very dangerous and forces me to use Fogs to fill the gap. As this is optical phenomenon I don't think this could be improved via a Bulb Upgrade.

@mods: please merge it with any other lightning query thread if required.

Hi All,

I have recently purchased an XUV 5OO and want to upgrade the headlights. Not that they are insufficient but because I like my eyes to be as less strained as possible.

Now I dont have much budget lets say somewhere around 7-8k for the complete upgrade. so anything related to upgrading the electrical system is out of the picture.

The way I see it I have the following options:

1. Upgrade to HIDs for both (55W) Low beam and (55W)High Beam. The problem with this is that while using dipper the HID might be harmed in the high beams and I use my dipper quite frequently in the idiotic Pune traffic.

2. Upgrade to HIDs in Low beam (55W) and an Osram Nightbreaker for the High Beams (55W or 100W). For this option I would like to know if there would be any trouble to the stock wires, reflector and glass in case I decide to upgrade to 100W halogen in high beam, by trouble I meant anything in the short run. I am not really concerned to what happens to the reflector 5 years donw the line.

3. A pair of 55W Auxiliary lights. Now since budget is a constraint I would very much appreciate if you can tell me the exact models which I can get in my budget. Hella, KC Hilites or any other good brand. With this mod the problem is that it will involve drillign holes either in the bumper or in the front tubes behind the front bumper. Is it a good idea to drill holes there or will the structural integrity be compromised?

4. Upgrade to 100W Nightbreakers in both Low beam and High beam. With this do I run the risk of cracking the projector with the heat or not in the low beam setup of XUV?

Thanks and regards,
Kinshuk
Hello Arya,
1 You can't use HID's in High beam, HID bulbs can't be Switched on and off like that. Bi-Xenon is a complicated tech. Ring me if you want to discuss.

2.100W bulbs are a strict No NO NO...
They burned the reflectors on my Safari. They also melted a wiring harness.

3> AuX lights. I am thinking about those. How about the QUAD Roof light mod? But Im skeptical for the warranty.

The best option IMHO in your case will be 55w HID 4300K for low beam,

And Osram Nightbreaker 100w for high. HID runs cooler than halogens, so projector is safe, Osram will have no ill effects on reflectors.
100w lights better be avoided for abovementioned Reasons.

HID may overall run cooler, but There can be hotsopts of VERy high temps at some places. I had a pic of someone who burned his Projector after 2 years of 55w use. 35w Shall be fine tough.

Thread Starter #5
hi bhvm,

Have upgraded my low beam system to 55W Hid setup and am quite happy with it. have uploaded some before and after pics in the ownership thread. have a look. I wouldnt suggest 70W or basically anything above the factory spec but if you think XUV can handle it then go for it.

We can upgrade to HIDs in the high beam as well. The reason being I normally dont use High beams within city limit and the Hids first flash the dims and then stabilizes over a couple of seconds so dipper problem will also be solved.

Warranty will not be void as long as you dont splice or cut the existing wires or basically any situation where you can revert back to stock whenever required, so even if anything goes wrong you can revert back to stock and claim the warranty. Presently even my HID setup can be reverted back to stock in half an hour.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I lost the link to your thread, may I have it please?
and I want to discuss a few issues with you in detail when I get home. thanks.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Mods, pardon me for Double Posting. Multi Quote does not seem to work on my samsung Note.

Now Fellas, I'm Back.

After reading about HIDs for about 3 days and reading every thread showed on google search first 5 pages, Here are my Findings-

1) was that 55W kits use the SAME 35w bulbs but over drive them with 55W ballasts . And its THIS heat/Radiation that destroys the lights. Stay away from these. Links are provided in earlier Post.

2) 50W True HID set is ONLY made by Phillips and is called as "DL-50 Fatboy" Impossible to Find in India.

3) There's a new Tech called HIR- Halogen Infrared Reflecting that uses some clever coating to reflect back the Infrated Radiation back to filament and makes bulbs some 50% more efficient. They have the same wattage and behaviour as your Stock halogens. Again, Not available in India. But these will be my choice when they arrive.

4) Having 35W HID is best Due to Reason No 1 And due to start up Spikes. Even though 55W Hid is same Wattage as your Halogen, They have CRAZY ampere demands during warm up and can melt wirings etc.

5) Speaking of XUV 500,I feel like having 55w or 35W HIDs in FOGS.
Even if they burn out the Reflectors, Fogs will be cheaper and easier to replace. Also there won't be any glare as fogs are almost ground hugging and have low beam pattern. For an added bonus they won't trouble the auto functions nor Will get hammered by them into shorter life.

Any further suggestions?

bhvm

Honoured Member
i meant in terms of usefulness, means will they be able to serve the purpose of a good view up ahead?

maybe I should drive around the town with just fogs on. however they're just 35w bulbs so I can't say.
maybe I'll just strap on my led headlights that I've made for safari. end of discussion.

instructables.com/id/Make-yourself-Powerful-LED-Off-road-lights-headli/

Top Bottom