My Turbocharged M800 MPFi

Thread Starter #1
Date of build - Feb/March 2011-

This thread is in many ways a continuation of my M800 carb turbo build.
While working on the carb Maruti 800 turbo setup, I decided to buy an MPFI M800 and turbo-charge it someday. Later, bought myself a stock MPFI 4 speed M800 and subsequently started collecting the necessary turbo bits. The goal with this setup is similar to the my Baleno turbo build - to be fun, reliable daily driver. The only thing different here is – I wouldn’t mind pushing/boosting it a bit more (M800 parts being not as expensive and are easy to come by).

Though I have my Turbo Baleno, I wanted something smaller, capable and cheap to run around in – M800, it was. That makes it " Two boosted suzuki siblings"

I picked up the following – BOV, couple of intercoolers, Swift diesel Turbo and few accessories. Then I came across a slightly larger MHI turbo and decided to do the build with it.

One of the initial problems (that worried me much) - very tight space for the turbo & ex-manifold. The oil filter jutting out in the front is a problem to have a the turbo hang below the manifold. Placing the turbo above the manifold may cause heating issues for the spark plug wires etc. since it exits very close to the turbo/exhaust manifold.

Now comes the shopping list and running errands – Listed out most of the hardware etc needed for the build and started shopping.
1. Turbo ex-manifold - flange plate & exhaust flanges– Gas cut & machined.
2. New stud/bolts for turbo exhaust manifold
3. Thick MS pipe (45 & 90 degree bends) 1.25 inch dia for fabricating ex-manifold.
4. Copper sheet – for cutting out turbo/ manifold gasket.
5. 4 Bolts were machined and used in the Banjo setup for oil and coolant supply line.
6. 2” MS pipe (full length) for fabricating the exhaust.

Started work on the car on a Tuesday morning.
1. Started by taking out the bumper, grill etc.
2. Dismantled the stock ex-manifold and exhaust pipe.
3. Temporarily mounted the turbo to the best position possible.
4. Ex-manifold MS pipes were routed according to the turbo position & tack welded
5. Removed the turbo ex-manifold and got it TIG welded.
6. Oil and coolant lines & accessories were modified/fabricated to suit the build
7. Got the 2” MS pipe cold bend – cut appropriately and used for exhaust system.
8. Fixed the TRUST intercooler at a suitable/chosen position.
9. Routed the intercooler plumbing from the turbo.
10. Routed the intercooler plumbing to the intake manifold.

The build was almost done by Friday. Saturday was the final fitting and rechecking for leaks etc. And sure enough there was a leak – oil leaking at the banjo bolt at the turbo oil supply source (probably because of a faulty machining of banjo bolt). It was fixed temporarily.

The car cranked up just fine. Had a short drive to check how it felt. The turbo kicked in quite late as compared to my Turbo Baleno but I guess it was not getting the right amount of fuel under boost. Soon after, it felt like the fuel supply being cut off (maybe because of the MAP sensor boost issue) – but there were not CEL, unlike Baleno when on boost.

After sometime below mods were done -

1. Installed Race Dynamics piggyback ECU.

2. Installed new MGP clutch & pressure plate (Old one packed up sooner than I thought)

3. Installed a new set of upgraded injectors (Baleno)

4. Rigged in a Autometer boost gauge and a pricol tachometer.

5. Also installed an EGT gauge to keep tab on exhaust temp.

The new up sized injectors were able to supply enough fuel.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Next mod on my M800 turbo -

DIY catch can from discarded auto parts -

It was Christmas time and I decided to gift my M800 a homemade “Catch Can”. So I made one with some donated automotive junk. The idea was to add a PCV catch can in line with the system to collect oil by condensing oil vapor on its way to the intake. This helps reduce gunk from being sucked back into the engine.

Big thanks to the A/C service guy who gave me a discarded aluminum can. My mechanic gave me a plastic valve cover cap with a breather, I think its from a Mahindra, not sure though. Removed a hose fitting from a busted Ford Ikon fuel pump. The only thing I bought new was a fuel tap (Rs 48/-)

Thread Starter #3
Injector upgrade for my M800 -

History:

Maruti 800 came with very small injectors. My M800 turbocharged setup was running on 172cc Baleno injectors till a few days back.

As i was upping the boost, it was doing good untill i did a few longer pulls on 3rd and 4th gear and it felt lean. This is with the injectors wide open. So....as expected I needed bigger injectors to get it running better on high boost.

After some internet searching I found some suitable OEM injectors that may work well. Fitting these injectors needed some changes/mods to be done on the fuel rail bracket etc. to accommodate larger injectors. I always wanted to try out one of the denso variants that came with 12 hole vis-à-vis 4 holes on stock injectors. There was one problem though – it was expensive and not very common. Finally , sometime back I got myself a set of Denso 12 hole injectors.

The Baleno 172cc injectors were upgraded to these Denso 265cc injectors a couple of days back. The fuel maps were scaled down to get the fueling right for idle and low boost and car fired up and idled perfectly. Needs more tuning on high boost cells but the power delivery is much better than before.

Attachments

Thanks for the ride in your Turbo charged 800.

Its simply cool. I was literally scared when the turbo kicked in !!

One thing, please think of upgrading the brakes.. We shall meet again.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Dhruvpandit - Turbo spools up well above 2.5K RPM. Will post pics sometime soon.

Varun - Nice to meet up with you guys. Thanks for coming over.
Yeah, the car moves well but doesnt stop real quick. I have been thinking about upgrading my brakes and for that I need to buy a whole lot of parts from the Maruti parts bin (Esteem, zen, etc).

Thread Starter #8
Thanks RPM2500

Did not really keep track of the cost. Approx cost breakup below -

1. Turbocharger MHI - 14.5K + shipping
2. Turbo dump pipe MHI - 3K + shipping
3. Trust (Greddy) intercooler - 8K + shipping
4. BOV - 4K + shipping
5. Upgraded injectors - 8K
6. Turbo Oil / Coolant line cost + retrofit - 2K
7. Turbo manifold fabrication - 7K
8. Exhaust system - 7K
9. Intercooler plumbing - 5K
10. Turbo hoses - 2K
11. Alternator relocation - 1K
12. Adjustable cam gear - 4K
13. Race Dynamics ECU + install/ wiring - 22-23K
14. Boost gauge - 6k
15. EGT gauge - 8K
16. Tachometer - 3.5K
17. Other labor + TIG welding charges- 15-20K

All put together (if i have not missed out/forgotten anything) it costed me around 1.2-1.3 lakhs.

Thanks RPM2500

Did not really keep track of the cost. Approx cost breakup below -

1. Turbocharger MHI - 14.5K + shipping
2. Turbo dump pipe MHI - 3K + shipping
3. Trust (Greddy) intercooler - 8K + shipping
4. BOV - 4K + shipping
5. Upgraded injectors - 8K
6. Turbo Oil / Coolant line cost + retrofit - 2K
7. Turbo manifold fabrication - 7K
8. Exhaust system - 7K
9. Intercooler plumbing - 5K
10. Turbo hoses - 2K
11. Alternator relocation - 1K
12. Adjustable cam gear - 4K
13. Race Dynamics ECU + install/ wiring - 22-23K
14. Boost gauge - 6k
15. EGT gauge - 8K
16. Tachometer - 3.5K
17. Other labor + TIG welding charges- 15-20K

All put together (if i have not missed out/forgotten anything) it costed me around 1.2-1.3 lakhs.
Woooh
1.3 lakhs on 800??

You must love your ride, and your mechanic must be kidding on you ;)

Thread Starter #10
Turbocharging a car is not exactly a cheap or easy thing to do. There are many parts to be bought and many more things to be custom fabricated, then put things together. If you get the needed parts cheaper - you may be able to keep the cost below 1L.

Yeah, I do love my rides !!!

Thread Starter #12
FE- about 12-13 in city and 16-17 highway (if you are not on boost for the most part)

I havent dyno'd my M800 turbo and Baleno turbo so I dont have bhp/torque numbers. I guess M800 is about 50-60% over stock output.

joeking.. what MHI model did you buy? It might be sized a little big for your 800..(probably explain the power kicking in at higher speed.) The downside is (or a word of caution) is you might surge the turbo (especially when you down shift). I recommend installing a blow off valve on the compressor discharge to avoid any failure to the turbo (if you dont already have one..).. either way..pretty cool work!!

Thread Starter #14
MHI - TD025. Not very big but theres a bit of delay to come on boost. Yes, BOV is put on duty upstream from compressor before TB.

Thanks - Joe

Thanks for the fantastic (in detail) thread. Can you please update a few pics of the setup & the engine bay? Have you mounted the Alternator closer to firewall? (i.e on the ac compressor location?)

Top Bottom