Figo - Clocked 37K. Time for New Shoes (Tyres)?

Thread Starter #1
Frenz - You would have seen my earlier posts on http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/5670-figo-wobbling-low-speeds.html & http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/10651-wheel-rim-straightening-bangalore.html.

However, nothing materialized much as both Ford & MRF washed their hands citing different reasons conflicting each other. I clearly get this as a message that the Tyres would probably have some issues or worn prematurely as it clocked 37K and they aren't ready to bear that loss. Couldn't fight further and gave up. Another reason is, even if I will win, they may replace with MRF Tyres again, which I would never want in my life again. Sorry, no offence to MRF Lovers, that's just my personal choice.

Further, when I checked for Wheel Rim Straightening with many shops in Bangalore, all of them, with no differences blame the tyres to be faulty and not the Rims. They seems to be just perfect.

1. Now, is it really time to change the Tyres? What is the normal life of a OE Fitted Tyres, especially MRFs.
  2. If it's time, what's your recommendation?

Here are my preferences on priority.

Riding Comfort / Precise Steering Handling - Which is the best in Figo and
  • what I am missing for the last 20K odd KMs.
  • Road Grip, both wet & dry - Keep in mind that mine is Non-ABS
  • Better FE - I am suspecting my tyres for the lesser FE. Getting 12 - 13 in City with 60 - 100% AC | 15 - 17 in Highways with 90 - 100% AC.

Keeping these preferences in mind, I thought of the below ones in order.

• Bridgestone - Heard better about BS, and I believe will deliver all I wanted. Yet, not soft & silent compared to Michelin.
  • Apollo Acelere - Reasonable, found in many cars like Figo, i-20, Polo etc.
  • Michelin XM2 - Heard to be best, yet not sure. Quite expensive in the lot and I am sceptical about it's softness citing any sidewall / rim damages.

Your thoughts & suggestions guys...

Michelins are the best, no doubt about that; followed by Yokohama (try the DB series for comfort) and giving way to more familiar brands like Bridgestone (one has to discount the Pirellis as they are considered pretty exotic and are not often easily available). MRF/Apollos/Good Years come next only to be tail ended by the absolutely horrible and despicable JK Vectras (they come cheap and last really long, though - mine lasted for 65000 kms with some tread still to spare) at the bottom of the food chain.

Last edited:
Hmm,

Figoan, the problem looks to be unusual and yes even I suspect the tyres here. There is always a possibility that tyres having some defect from the beginning it self, and do not blame brand for that as one in thousand will happen.

If you are going for new tyres, then forget about the old tyres how long they can run kind of stuff. You have already clocked 37k with happiness or sadness, just leave them as 37k has given you the tyre price back to you. Just move on for new ones, if so

Then my choice will be between BS/Yoko/Michelin only. Yes as Sam said JK are really crap but will last long[frustration] as my Ritz fitted with them(a low profile ones 165 section thanks to maruti cost cutting) but are really useless according to me and I will wait for my day to replace them.

Michelins are the best can only be decided after observing the daily roads you drive buddy! If you frequent bad pot holed roads or areas where constructions are going on, believe me michelins could be a nightmare with frequent punctures as they are a soft compound tires. But if you drive on nicely paved roads then Michelin would be best suited as they are damn comfortable but last lesser than others. So, decide on the basis of the road types you travel.

@gurrala sir : Low profile tires don't count as cost cutting, it's the other way around actually!!!

freakdude.

@gurrala sir : Low profile tires don't count as cost cutting, it's the other way around actually!!!

freakdude.
Hope 185 sections are costly than 165 section

In Ritz for Lxi/LDI fitted with 165 sections and Zxi/Zdi fitted with 185 sections. So considering the tall boy design of this car, 185 will have more grip and less body roll too.

So now tell me what must be the reason to give 165 for Lxi/LDI[:)]

Hope 185 sections are costly than 165 section

In Ritz for Lxi/LDI fitted with 165 sections and Zxi/Zdi fitted with 185 sections. So considering the tall boy design of this car, 185 will have more grip and less body roll too.

So now tell me what must be the reason to give 165 for Lxi/LDI[:)]
Not sure how your comment relates to my reply.

Profile is not defined by what you are mentioning as 185 or 165. It's the next value like 60/65/70/80 that defines the profile.

A 185/80/15 is not a low profile where as a 185/60/14 is.

freakdude.

Hi Figoian,
Your stock MRF should have lasted 50K kms, but the latter 10K-15K would have been noisy so you are not losing much :-). However these are hard compound rubbers and if you travel through bad broken roads then these are quite OK as they can take anything.

Now coming to your options: Michelin and Yoko are both very good. I have experience with Michelin XM1+ and XM2 and both of them are super silent and offer good grip too. XM2 has to some degree solved the issue with softer side walls (so I am told) and have less rolling resistance (hence some fractional improvement in mileage). But these are softer rubbers and are prone to punctures. I get these at least 2 times a year, but being tubeless is a advantage here. Cant blame it fully on the tyres though - the locality I live in is always in a festive mood and pandals are being erected and brought down through out the year and have those nasty nails irresponsibly falling on the road. With Michelin and Yoko, you can probably do upto 40K kms.
The dark horse I think is the Apollo Accelere and is total VFM. It actually falls somewhere in the middle and not at all bad as some reviews make out to be.

Not sure how your comment relates to my reply.

Profile is not defined by what you are mentioning as 185 or 165. It's the next value like 60/65/70/80 that defines the profile.

A 185/80/15 is not a low profile where as a 185/60/14 is.

freakdude.
Ok, I understand that friend, may be I have used a wrong word " profile" [confused].

I was just talking about 185/70/R14 and 165/70/R14, now tell me which is good and why, sorry are going OT and hijacked the thread already[surprise]

Ok, I understand that friend, may be I have used a wrong word " profile" [confused].

I was just talking about 185/70/R14 and 165/70/R14, now tell me which is good and why, sorry are going OT and hijacked the thread already[surprise]
PMed you. Let's keep the thread to thread starter's query. [;)]

freakdude.

Thread Starter #10
Michelins are the best can only be decided after observing the daily roads you drive buddy! If you frequent bad pot holed roads or areas where constructions are going on, believe me michelins could be a nightmare with frequent punctures as they are a soft compound tires.
Good point Freakdude. I am in Bangalore, so you can imagine the kind of roads I would travel... So, Michelin isn't a good option I guess.

Hi Figoian,
Your stock MRF should have lasted 50K kms, but the latter 10K-15K would have been noisy so you are not losing much :-).
Thanks for those comforting words... [;)]

But these are softer rubbers and are prone to punctures. I get these at least 2 times a year, but being tubeless is a advantage here.

The dark horse I think is the Apollo Accelere and is total VFM. It actually falls somewhere in the middle and not at all bad as some reviews make out to be.
I am afraid, I have had enough bitter experiences with Punctures which you may refer here http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ts/4651-how-deal-multiple-tyre-punctures.html. Those days, I used to find at least 1 or 2 nails every week. Horrible was not the word...

Good point Freakdude. I am in Bangalore, so you can imagine the kind of roads I would travel... So, Michelin isn't a good option I guess.
In that case buddy, I'd suggest you to have a look at options from Bridgestone to get the most of both worlds (durability and comfort). Next best bet would be Apollo Acelere.

freakdude.

In that case buddy, I'd suggest you to have a look at options from Bridgestone to get the most of both worlds (durability and comfort). Next best bet would be Apollo Acelere.

freakdude.
Yes, BS is the best choice here, but Yokos are also equally good for such roads I feel[:)]

Thread Starter #13
Yes, BS is the best choice here, but Yokos are also equally good for such roads I feel[:)]

freakdude.
Thanks guys. Then I guess, here is the list to explore.

1. Bridgestone - S322
  2. Apollo - Acelere
  3. Yoko - AA01

Welcome more suggestions or the discussion on +VE & -VEs of these.

Thanks guys. Then I guess, here is the list to explore.

1. Bridgestone - S322
  2. Apollo - Acelere
  3. Yoko - AA01

Welcome more suggestions or the discussion on +VE & -VEs of these.
My order of preference:

1. Yokohama AA01
2. Bridgestone S322 (try MY01 instead)
3. Apollo Accelere

My order of preference:

1. Yokohama AA01
2. Bridgestone S322 (try MY01 instead)
3. Apollo Accelere
I preference is almost same but, little different[lol]

1. Bridgestone, the model can be decided by you based on your requirement
2. Yokohama, same here too
3. Apollo accelere

Here for the roads you have mentioned either BS or Yoko will do perfect job and to be frank I do not have any experience of these Apollo, but I read they are good. If the roads are not that bad, any day it is Michelin man.

Top Bottom