Best GPS Device in India

Best GPS device

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

Which is the best GPS system in India in terms of reliability, VFM and features.

Vibhor, please edit the poll if needed.

Thanks,
Alok

Last edited:
I would say go with GARMIN. I have used Garmin and Tom Tom and i can vouch on garmin as i have been using it for last 4-5 years.

And 350Z is also using Garmin and is pretty happy with his device.

Hi,
Currently MMI maps (v7.1) are best but their devices are good for normal usage.
Garmin device quality is good. But Maps are not up to date.
Tomtom - ok type. Didnt get any good feedback here.Check it directly.
Another less know brand is Navonans. Navon .It has the best combination . UI from IGO-Primo and maps from Navteq. Even Garmin maps are from Navteq only. Check with them for the latest 2012 maps and a demo.
Don't go for satguide.

In MMI no free map update.
Garmin has 2years/4 map update free .
Other's need to check with them.

Experience both the device in hand and decide.
Currently i will vote for MMI with 2 year Map upgrade subscription. If you want good UI experience select their latest Sygic GPS devices.

FYI iam using the combination of MMI,Garmin, Igo for the last 5 years. you can PM me if you want any help.

Re: Bangalore-Chennai-Hyderabad Members Meet at Bangalore

Appu, just want to know, using GPS is costly or what?
BSNL Network provides 8Gb for just Rs.308 with 3months validity and it is roaming free. I fully used GPS during Sabarimala trip as well as in Bangalore also. It was accurate and voice enabled:-)

Re: Bangalore-Chennai-Hyderabad Members Meet at Bangalore

@Ranger, That is lovely. Thanks for the info.

At present I cant invest on costly android phone [and moreover in office i cant use camera mobile[cry]] Will the low cost tabs does this jobs? I think even HCL has some low cost tabs.

@Ranger, post some pics if possible. [i think we can continue this discussion on http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-spare-parts/11111-best-gps-device-india.html for others convenient]

Mods, pls move the last three threads to http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-spare-parts/11111-best-gps-device-india.html for continuity.
yes no problem with low cost tabs but please check Galaxy tab 2 P3110 is on pre order for 14k on flipkart, mine is P3100 which cost you 19k.
upcoming Galaxy Note 800 for 13k and also nexus7 for 16k.

I guess Micromax funbook is a good choice for 6k and it will serve the purpose for you with ease.

its upto you if low cost TAB are ok for service then no issue in buying them.

Hello sethu and all I'm attaching few layers of navigation which are useful for us.
pic1: Google apps
Pic2:Sample TAB
pic3: satellite layer
pic4: satellite layer
pic5: traffic layer
pic6: Normal navigation layer with day light

Attachments

Last edited:
Other day I have seen Appu's phone navigation, I think it was Samsung ACE and was really awesome. So according to me when mobiles have such good application why do we need some external device as GPS[:)]

Other day I have seen Appu's phone navigation, I think it was Samsung ACE and was really awesome. So according to me when mobiles have such good application why do we need some external device as GPS[:)]
Yes Mr.RK, even I had the same question, but it seems you cant use phone functions when GPS is in use. for example when you phone is GPS function in guiding you, if you got a phone call then the guiding might get disturbed. Please correct me if am wrong.

@MrRanger, really that was nice info and pictures. thanks for sharing. let me have a look at the low cost tabs.

Last edited:
Yes Mr.RK, even I had the same question, but it seems you cant use phone functions when GPS is in use. for example when you phone is GPS function in guiding you, if you got a phone call then the guiding might get disturbed. Please correct me if am wrong.

@MrRanger, really that was nice info and pictures. thanks for sharing. let me have a look at the low cost tabs.
I think we are mixing up technologies little bit here.
GPS = Global Positioning System, there is no cost to anyone to use it. Your device should have built in GPS receiver or you should have external GPS receiver connected.
GPRS(3g/2g) Data connection, you need this only if planning to use web based mapping software such as google maps.

sethumurugan, what you said is correct, if using GPRS(Data) while using it your phone will be temporarily disconnected from network. I advice to get offline maps such as Sygic Navigator which is installed on your device and does not need data connectivity. That way you can travel to places where there is no data connectivity.

@Sethu Sir: What you said is correct, when you receive the call, you will get enter into call menu.As I've Bluetooth in my car, the Navigation voice will be active & it gets mixed with calls sometimes via speakers.

for those kind of situation. I'll disconnect the call, if I'm not good with the route[;)]. once call disconnected, It will continue the Navigation without any breakup.

Last edited:
yes no problem with low cost tabs but please check Galaxy tab 2 P3110 is on pre order for 14k on flipkart, mine is P3100 which cost you 19k.
upcoming Galaxy Note 800 for 13k and also nexus7 for 16k.

I guess Micromax funbook is a good choice for 6k and it will serve the purpose for you with ease.

its upto you if low cost TAB are ok for service then no issue in buying them.

Hello sethu and all I'm attaching few layers of navigation which are useful for us.
pic1: Google apps
Pic2:Sample TAB
pic3: satellite layer
pic4: satellite layer
pic5: traffic layer
pic6: Normal navigation layer with day light

MRRanger , Please tell me the pics you have posted is for which bran, imean i am not able to make out if it is samsung or Micromax

Sethu,

I do not know exactly about that problem, but when I am connected with to my GPRS and using internet, I can receive a call in between and after that it continues again !! but using voice assisted GPS I do not have Idea as I don't have that facility on my present phone.

But when I have seen Nokia Lumia phone, the GPS is not connected to internet and it works offline, so calls can be received and GPS stops and continues from there. friends correct me if I am wrong. I think RAJA can better explain about this feature as he is a Lumia 800 user.

MRRanger , Please tell me the pics you have posted is for which bran, imean i am not able to make out if it is samsung or Micromax
It is my Samsung galaxy tab 2 P3100, in which I downloaded maps of entire karnataka region, GPRS is only used at the time of search once you fixed destination it wont consume data.

I soon Gonna buy samsung Grand which supports multi window so your navigation stay on top always

@sethu and Appu, Sethu is looking for low cost tablet and Im sure that no other tab except Galaxy TAB2 comes with voice call option which is not cheap, so no worries even if navigator pushed to back ground which continues to guide through its voice.

Flexibility here is you can download sygin+map my india for 1000/- from google play.

With Google Maps searching any destination is very easy compared to offline maps.

Top Bottom