Since so many days I was planning to do DIY for Wooden dashboard,
I have started from centre console today as I was not sure enough about the work (so better to start with smaller parts)
What you need
1) Wooden floor paper (Carpet)
2) Synthetic rubber adhesive like Fevicol SR 505.
3) Thin grit sandpaper - for sanding dashboard surface
3) Brush - to apply adhesive
4) Sharp blade & Scissors - for cutting carpet.
5) Isopropyl Alcohol - to remove oil & grease from dashboard surface.
How to proceed
1) Clean the dashboard to remove dirt
2) Clean all surfaces of your dashboard thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol and a clean
towel to facilitate adhesion.Oil, grease and dirt will all keep the adhesive from sticking
properly to the dashboard.
3) You will need to sand (very little sanding) the dashboard with sandpaper.(only the part where you want to apply wooden paper) before you apply gum on surface.
4) Apply thin layers of adhesive on both dashboard and paper and leave it for drying 5 minutes before pasting.(See the instructions on adhesive container)
5) Paste the paper slowly beginning from one side. (like applying scrath guard on mobile screen) and use a clean cloth to press the paper to dashboard.
To give glossy touch to wooden part (Wood finished carpet) I have used varnish.
Before that I have consulted shopkeeper from whom I have purchased wooden carpet for better option then varnish.But he was also in cofused state of mind.
I also enquired about varnish & its safety on carpet - he told there should not be any problem with carpet.
So I made trial on a piece of wooden carpet.I took a small piece of carpet & applied varnish on it & kept it to dry for 4 days.
There was no change in the color of carpet & result was satisfactory.
So I applied it on final product on dashboard.
Lets hope,this look of my dashboard remains for longer time.
I post some pics of work done