Reviving An Old Beast - Mahindra MM550

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

Just today came across this wonderful restoration of an Army auctioned MM50. The work is being done at Auto Engineers in sec-57 Noida.

The jeep has been stripped to the bones to evaluate the amount of work required. It's been powered by a wonderful 2.0 ltr diesel which seemed to be almost newish. As of now it was standing on 3 wheels [;)]. All wheels would be taken out one by one and detail work would be carried out.

Work to be done :
1. Complete tinkering and body work.
2. All mechanicals/electricals to be braught back in prestine condition.
3. Full paint job to be carried out.
4. Re-register it with a civillian number.
5. Misc. work.

I estimate the total work to be completed in around a months time. Hope you all enjoy it. Will keep updating this thread with WIP pics and details.

Uploading a few pics, sorry for average quality as I took them from my cellphone.

freakdude.

Attachments

Re: Reviving an old beast - MM50

Hey dued, is it mm540/550 or just mm50. I never heard of mm50 at all man.

It looks like it is going under a major surgery. What will be the cost of army disposed vehicle? any idea[:)]

Thread Starter #4
Re: Reviving an old beast - MM50

Typo guys...It's MM550. Pardone me for the error. Got so exited to spot this and hence the typo.

Mods please do the necessary corrections as I can't edit it now.

freakdude.

Nice thread freakdude.Try to post each and every process in the mod job.
It may be useful for someone in the future.

Cheers.[cheers]

Thread Starter #7
nice [clap] share detail about cost . i might give visit to that shop . btw do you know any one selling gypsy mpfi .
I am myself looking for a well maintained Gypsy King.
Moreover, these guys will be restoring gypsys after this MM550, so will keep a close watch on the workshop.

Will try to get details about the cost involved in this restore and will try to update the thread regularly.

freakdude.

hey guys..!!!
here are a few more pics... there are 2 jeeps that are being completely redone..
one is an army disposal and one is an air force disposal...
here are some more pics, stay tuned for more!!!

Thread Starter #13
hey guys..!!!
here are a few more pics... there are 2 jeeps that are being completely redone..
one is an army disposal and one is an air force disposal...
here are some more pics, stay tuned for more!!!
Hey Off_Road do you live close by to that place. Really nice to see that we are now 2 to keep this thread live and revving. [clap]

freakdude.

Thread Starter #14
New Update : just visited the place to get brake pads replacement done on a friend's car so checked on the progress.

The chassis has been done with a coat of primer and was looking a lot better. New engine mounts were fixed and engine was placed onto it. Minor fixations were being carried out. The engine is a Diesel XD3P (2498cc & 76Bhp 15.5Kgm@2000) motor (army spec). Not sure if an engine swap is planned.

We also discussed on the body color. i suggested Deep Blue or a Metallic Grey shade and my friend suggested Red. Let's see how it turns up.[cheers]

Also clicked pics of another MM550 that was taken from airforce auction (the blue one).

Pics to follow :

freakdude.

Attachments

I love the 550 in its military avatar. The only things that are stoppping me from buying one is that it can't be used as an everyday vehicle and that it has poor fuel efficiency.

Top Bottom