Buying a Used Mahindra MM540

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys...
Im Sharat and has newly parked myself in this cool auto hub.I'm plaaning to buy a jeep. I came to know about a jeep through my friend.Here is the specifications of the jeep that i could know.Please pls advice me whether to go forward with this buy..To be frank i dont know much about jeeps.[lol]

jeep
mm540
4wd
engine done some 2000 km b4
soft top
tyres are worn out
4+1 gear

the old 2 lever 4wd gear to select hi and low gear ratio

Pls see the attached picture also..

Attachments

Re: Intro

Hi Sharat,

Whats the asking price of the jeep. To me it looks to have been maintained well. Do post the odo reading too.

Cheers,
Akash

Wow finally jeep thing in tai

much interested , i was searching for a mm540/550 for about a month and settled in sierra.

All OE parts must/is available.

Hope your model doent have a power steering?

check 4x4 working . if not no worries , all spares available.

It looks a good maintained jeep.

Modding them?

Thread Starter #5
ilango[speed thirst];89814 said:
Wow finally jeep thing in tai

much interested , i was searching for a mm540/550 for about a month and settled in sierra.

All OE parts must/is available.

Hope your model doent have a power steering?

check 4x4 working . if not no worries , all spares available.

It looks a good maintained jeep.

Modding them?

It seems maintained well also..i haven't got a chance to see the vehicle in person.probably has to go this weekend or the next.According to friend the 4x4 is working .not sure but.I missed out asking for the power steering.i guess it wont be having.

And yea..planning to mod the vehicle..dont plan to touch the engine side..but i mite remove the side doors to give it an open look.

Guys please give me your ideas on this.

Jeep looks in great shape. IMO it would not have a power steering, but you can reconfirm. I am sure it will look like a beaut after some paint job and Mods [:)]

Do post more pictures after the changes.

Thread Starter #7
Jeep looks in great shape. IMO it would not have a power steering, but you can reconfirm. I am sure it will look like a beaut after some paint job and Mods [:)]

Do post more pictures after the changes.

Guys what do you think of the price for this jeep(150k).Is it a bit more for a 1988 model jeep?Please help me out.Not sure whether to go forward or backout..[confused]

350Z

Core Team
Sharat, it appears that the owner has maintained this Jeep well overall (ORVM is broken though). But don’t just go by the exteriors alone, thoroughly check the car and drive to find if it has any major niggles. (This thread will be helpful). And I think, there’s a fair scope of negotiation for a car this much old. Settle the deal anywhere below or close to 1.2 Lacs more or less depending upon mileage and other such factors. How much Kms has the car done BTW and do you plan some serious off-roading or prefer keeping it as a weekend drive?

Drive Safe,
350Z

If its in good condition, and is the one in the picture, Then the price is fair I would say, Its not high or low. Negotiate though, Like 350Z said.

And if it is stock 540, then there would be no power steering as well. The jeep in the picture is missing a wiper and the ORVM. Check if everything is neat on the inside, Look for signs of rust as its an old vehicle. You also need to check whether the 4W drive works and in both ratios. Also Jeeps are getting costly these days. With so many people looking for off road recreation.

Last edited:
vehicle seems nicely maintained.
do check the condition of the engine. check the compression, black smoke,...
has the engine been overhauled???

And if it is stock 540, then there would be no power steering as well. The jeep in the picture is missing a wiper and the ORVM. Check if everything is neat on the inside, Look for signs of rust as its an old vehicle. You also need to check whether the 4W drive works and in both ratios. Also Jeeps are getting costly these days. With so many people looking for off road recreation.
Ya, people selling 4x4s overpriced theseday because demand is increasing. Lucky you to get maintained MM540 its good for fun off roading !

Take it for a drive, see how it reacts. Check for any undue vibrations or stalls. I have never even searched or looked out for a jeep in the market, but just by estimate 1.5 lacs seems reasonable if not less. You can negotiate further depending on the test drive or check up with a seasoned mechanic!

zengetz

Suspended
Cardigan, looks like the jeep is re-done cosmetically. A wiper is missing and the wiper motor seems to be painted to blue too !

Overall, looks can be deceptive - check the engine , alternator and battery, diesel pump and negotiate the costs. Take a test drive both on and off road and see if the suspension is good too.

Check how long it takes for the heat light to go off before you crank the engine. A few troubled cars need to be heated over and over again.

To check the clutch if its slipping, put the handbrake on and engage top gear (4 in this case) and slowly release the clutch without accelerating. If the engine stalls after a slight movement you are ok. If it doesnt stall then we have a problem with Clutch slipping.

Tires seem to look okayish.

Hope this helps.

Avi

AMG

Suspended
Like I always say, before buying a used vehicle, take a trusted mechanic alongwith.

Thread Starter #15
Thanks Guys,

sorry for the late reply.Had some busy schedule and was travelling.Thanks for all the tips.I was reading it all together..so together it has become a users manual for me.:)
I had planned to go to see the jeep this weekend my myself,but alas something urgent came up and i wouldnt be able to. :(
What is worrying me is that when i asked with some mechanics they were saying 150 k for a 23 years old jeep is too far fetched. But i guess i will give it a try and then decide.
Will keep you posted when i see the jeep.

Top Bottom