Searching For a True Pre-owned Off-Roader

Thread Starter #1
dreams are dreams and i had long waiting wish to own one sooner or later.

• first thing :under 1.5-2.0 lakh.

• i haven't counted how much rupee i have yet for an 4x4 offroader

• newbie...!!!!

so i begin the search from this moment.

criterion.

• it should be a true fully working 4x4 -not hardtop air conditioned couches.

• with a frugal diesal heart .

• looking definitely for a pre owned to save as much rupee as possible to spend more on wheel upgrades (17 and above), suspensions upgrades,seats,additional ergonomics .

need advice on how to evaluate the condition, to what extend re work can be done for gear box or engine( in case if required)

Re: In Search of a True Off Roader (Pre owned)

it will hard to find buyer who is selling under 2L as fully working jeeps have good resale value . you can always try to buy army jeep and then restored it :D

Well i heard from many people that army jeeps would be available, however i do not know a place to buy them from ? Someone in Chennai pls help me if you have any info on this.

I think our Member ilango can help us on modification stuff.

350Z

Core Team

You must consider saving up a few lakhs and purchase something on the lines of Mahindra Thar. It’s a pure off-road Jeep that will satisfy the off-roader in you. There are some examples of various used Jeeps available under above mentioned budget, but if the car has been used by an equally enthusiastic chap, the overhauling costs can set back to many green bucks. This means, it’ll all boil down to the same ground and plus, the reliability is of course affected too. Keep searching the classifieds (Such as TAI Marketplace) and in-case you find a deal attractive with reasonable condition of the car, simply don’t wait and call the seller. There are hell lot of enthusiasts such as you, who keep searching for nice conditioned cars every now and then, which are especially rare to find. I know, how many times it has happened with me when next person sealed the deal of my favourite used car (read rare ones including sports cars) with delay on my part of mere few hours.

Well i heard from many people that army jeeps would be available, however i do not know a place to buy them from ? Someone in Chennai pls help me if you have any info on this.
You can consider approaching Army cants. for this purpose. But be informed that such Jeeps can be some of the heavily used examples.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #5

it will hard to find buyer who is selling under 2L as fully working jeeps have good resale value . you can always try to buy army jeep and then restored it :D
yes mastersquall 1991 model 540 4wd, costs 3.5lakh.

but if the car has been used by an equally enthusiastic chap, the overhauling costs can set back to many green bucks. This means, it’ll all boil down to the same ground and plus, the reliability is of course affected too. Keep searching the classifieds (Such as TAI Marketplace)
i have seen an army car, i figured your above statements is how much true.

i have some incredible places to conquer :-)

search is still on.

see i told you jeeps have very good resale value specially good condition one .

Now you need to hunt of army jeeps . it should not cost more then 60k or max. 1L if its in very good position . then now another 1L to bring it alive and start making your own road [evil]

350Z

Core Team

Or else, if you are interested to enjoy off-roading after building the machine yourself, this thread can be a nice inspiration: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ect-restoration-1986-maruti-suzuki-gypsy.html. He bought the car for Rs.50,000 and added another Lakh to bring it back to life. Reasonably affordable but needs a lot of interest, dedication and time.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Are u in hurry? no? wait for used thar in sometime but it will be over your budget or buy salvaged army jeep. they are used but goods ones are also there. how is availability of jeeps in ur area?

Thread Starter #9

and start making your own road
ahh what a [:)][:D] yes,this is for sheer pleasure of owning one 4wd/awd,no other motives.
Reasonably affordable but needs a lot of interest, dedication and time.
i think am qualified for everything above stated and gypsy drinks petrol am i right. i prefer only diesel (diesel spoiled me) .

Are u in hurry? no? wait for used thar in sometime but it will be over your budget or buy salvaged army jeep. they are used but goods ones are also there. how is availability of jeeps in ur area?
time is all i have (no rush at all.)

in my area jeeps are plenty but RWD.
4wd, nobody is interested to sell off or maybe if somebody is willing i need to dig deep.

waiting for TAI'n to turn up with a tempting offer.

Thread Starter #10

yes mahindra thar is in my list but i think it would take ages to get it into pre own market with price around2-3 lakh.
well i cannot extend my budget to dearer side though i am willing but family members won't be .as they don't find any logical use of it other than mere fancy.hope you guys understand me.

one jeep was almost at my fingertip but in final moment it was realised to be a 2wd. it had overcome toughest off roads so the mediating guy felt it should be a 4wd.

search is still on. :-)

how is army jeep ,its specs and RTO approval . is it just usual procedures?

i am even considering police jeep . but none are available for sale most of them looks as ancient as iron age but they are still running it.
thankfully

For true offroader look for SWB jeeps like CJ3B, Mahindra Classic, ford GPW etc.but the cost is in higher side and they are hard to find.
MM540, MM550, CL500, CL550(major) are also good but they are MWB vehicles.
2WD to 4WD conversion is easy in jeeps . conversion cost will be about 20000 including used parts. if you get a good condition 2wd jeep buy it and convert it to 4wd.
4wd conversion can be done in a day.
here in muvatupuzha used jeep parts are available.

Hi Jayadev
I heard in mayapuri you can find army disposal MM 550 @ > 1 lakh
but the problem is we need somebody to check the vehicle, clear the documents etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

for army auction you have register in MSTC India(M S T C Limited) as scrap dealer by paying Rs10000 as non refundable deposit. The auctions are held online .
In MSTC India look for Categorywise Item view .

for buying army vehicles the easy way is to buy from a scrap dealer.
by giving him an extra amount he will do the vehicle registration for you.

anilkenath mentioned about mayapuri in delhi.
it is a good place for buying army disposal vehicles, parts etc.
but the transportation from delhi to kerala will cost you a bomb.

For true offroader look for SWB jeeps like CJ3B, Mahindra Classic, ford GPW etc.but the cost is in higher side and they are hard to find.
MM540, MM550, CL500, CL550(major) are also good but they are MWB vehicles.
2WD to 4WD conversion is easy in jeeps . conversion cost will be about 20000 including used parts. if you get a good condition 2wd jeep buy it and convert it to 4wd.
i completely forgot conversion this made me remember when i wanted to get my safari 2WD to 4WD but cost was around 1L [surprise] . Jeep conversation are less expensive

Thread Starter #15

delhi is too far for me ,bringing it down all the way from delhi to kerala would be troublesome for somebody like me.

how reliable such conversion could be against the stock 4wd vehicles. afaik front wheel alignments are extremely complex .

Top Bottom