Mahindra Scorpio 4x4: Questionable Reliability?

Thread Starter #1
My friend in Arunachal had bought a Scorpio S10 4W, seven months back as his working was at a rugged terrain. However , some bad roads and the steering rode conked off.In his own words " 17900 km on odometer. Arunachal rough roads all along and the Power Steering gives up as steering rod bends. Follows disaster as it dislodged and tears upon front Right Tyre causing Burst on a down slope road in heavy rains in dark night. It needs to be rolled to a nearby village reaching where its wheel with burst tire looses its place. This vehicle needs to be picked up and transported 500kms to Guwahati for repairs and maintenance. And they don't provide carrying services.
Still a long way to compete with a foreign make of SUVs."

Mahindra did came to rescue later. But, the build quality is a big question

Link here

Mods: Kindly transfer if this doesn't fit here.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: Can we have faith in Mahindra Scorpio as a 4X4

What does he mean by "Custom delivered"
Was it a custom vehicle with special 4x4 setup or something?

Something wrong, either the car is defective or the owner is wrong or both but something is wrong.

My partner has a Scorpio S10 and the car has done over 80k kms till date, of which over 40k kms were done within 10 months of purchase on bad to worst roads of Uttar Pradesh - Bihar border areas at times along with insane speed highway drives, never even a nut came off when we literally used to go at 50-60 kph on roads where there were half a foot deep craters and other motorists driving at 5-10 kph. I don't doubt the ruggedness of Scorpio but I can doubt the quality control of Mahindra which may have resulted in a faulty/weak part get fixed on this car.

For a zero NCAP rated vehicle, Scorpio is pretty good.

Thread Starter #6

Something wrong, either the car is defective or the owner is wrong or both but something is wrong.

My partner has a Scorpio S10 and the car has done over 80k kms till date, of which over 40k kms were done within 10 months of purchase on bad to worst roads of Uttar Pradesh - Bihar border areas at times along with insane speed highway drives, never even a nut came off when we literally used to go at 50-60 kph on roads where there were half a foot deep craters and other motorists driving at 5-10 kph. I don't doubt the ruggedness of Scorpio but I can doubt the quality control of Mahindra which may have resulted in a faulty/weak part get fixed on this car.
I think the part only to be blamed is the steering rod connector. May be, a crater would have given extra pressure and made it crack.Still, he was saddened by the fact that it happened with out a warning and it in turn punctured the car. The terrain he is in, is Tawang and terrain is really rough.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member

If the wheel is in a deep crater and if it is fixed,meaning it is not turning right or left,and then if vigourous steering input is used to wriggle out the car out of the rut,connecting steering rod will break,no matter which vehicle it is.This might have been the case here.4x4 doesn't mean it is indestructible.Offroading puts lot of strain on the mechanicles,especially on vehicles with IFS.

Top Bottom