MM540 4X4 Restoration / Modification - My 1st Jeep

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

Im from Coimbatore, really love jeeps.. I bought an mm550 an year back in my native (tuticorin) since i have no time i didn't modify it and my brother was using till now there.

Now i planned to modify it, its coming to cbe coming thursday(13-2-2014). Collected a vast number of pics in various forums and TAI looks great to me thats the reason i have joined here. So basically i have an idea how my jeep should look like. but no idea in mechanism wise, really need all your help to modify it successfully..

Coimbatore got some awesome Jeep mechanics and alteration workshops.. Im planning to do in South india motors in cbe.

About My JEEP [embarass]

- Hard top jeep
- Original condition
- Peugeot engine
- Cost of Jeep 1.5 Lakhs when bought
- Sandal color
- 1996 Model
- Government Vehicle

Planning to convert

- Opentop / with Roof Covers ( Front should be covered with Doors)
- Scorpio Rims with 16 Inch tyres
- Power steering
- Metallic Green & Black combination Paint
- Patch works

Attaching some picture for your idea, Need some advice in power steering and choosing tyre types.

How to add Pics, I read the forum and add it as an attachement but its throwing some error message :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #3
Thanks Sam, i tried the same yesterday it doesnot works now it works fine. Reduced the file size and uploaded now.

Some other works planned was
Disk Brake
Front & Reat Seats

But how much will it exactly cost?. for the above restorations, tomorrow will be getting the quotes for the above. Will update you once i get it.
My Budget was around 1.5 Lakhs

Finally attaching some Pictures.. thanks SAM[clap]

Front View
Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 5.21.49 PM.png

Rear View
Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 5.22.43 PM.png

Side Views
Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 5.22.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 5.23.16 PM.png

Inner View
Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 5.23.37 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks Sam, i tried the same yesterday it doesnot works now it works fine. Reduced the file size and uploaded now.

Some other works planned was
Disk Brake
Front & Reat Seats

But how much will it exactly cost?. for the above restorations, tomorrow will be getting the quotes for the above. Will update you once i get it.
My Budget was around 1.5 Lakhs

Finally attaching some Pictures.. thanks SAM[clap]

Front View
View attachment 126637

Rear View
View attachment 126640

Side Views
View attachment 126641
View attachment 126639

Inner View
View attachment 126638
Rajesh, congrats on your new find, you are in the heart of the jeep mods market, a few i know of are Jeep Clinic, sure they can give you some ideas
all the best on your restore, will be glued to your thread
regards
vinod

Dear Rajesh,

This is a M550. Some random observations:

1. Paint doesn't look OEM - this vehicle has seen at least one repaint job.

2. Lots of rust - inside front grille, under right front door, behind front right fender, on exhaust manifold, on bodywork above rear bumper, on bonnet latches. Suggest strip the vehicle down to the chassis and get rid of all rust. Paint is chipping inside the front and rear wheel arches.

3. That ugly Roplas hard top. Junk it. Just junk it. Whats the point of a Jeep if it ain't a soft top.

4. Mix and match tyres. Need replacement. NDMS look charming but then better rubber is available.

5. Spend money first on improving the mechanical reliabililty of the vehicle. Get the engine (leaks/overheating), differential (leaking/noisy), gearbox/transfer case (hard/not meshing properly), clutch (hard/woozy), suspension (noisy/no damping), steering (too much play), cooling system, electricals etc. checked up and overhauled and only then go for the cosmetic bits. No point in getting a pair of track pants and running shoes for a geriatric cardiac patient.

6. Click as many snaps as you want to (engine bay, underbody, differential, axles, interiors, bulkhead, etc.) and post them here so that the experts may suggest the appropriate course of action.

All the very best.

Regards,
Sam

Thread Starter #6
@Vinod, Definitely Will check with Jeep clinic for sure.. Thanks so much

Dear Sam,

Thanks for the awesome observations!! I have answered inline to your questions.

1. Paint doesn't look OEM - this vehicle has seen at least one repaint job.

Changing for sure, Planning to go with Dark Green metallic green.

2. Lots of rust - inside front grille, under right front door, behind front right fender, on exhaust manifold, on bodywork above rear bumper, on bonnet latches. Suggest strip the vehicle down to the chassis and get rid of all rust. Paint is chipping inside the front and rear wheel arches.

Will do the complete patch works

3. That ugly Roplas hard top. Junk it. Just junk it. Whats the point of a Jeep if it ain't a soft top.

[clap] I hate such top, my first work on JEEP is to remove that

4. Mix and match tyres. Need replacement. NDMS look charming but then better rubber is available.
Even i didn't notice the tyres [sleep]. Planning to go with bolero/ scorpio rims and tyres. Need suggestion regarding this, will it go with normal steering or it requires power steering?

5. Spend money first on improving the mechanical reliability of the vehicle. Get the engine (leaks/overheating), differential (leaking/noisy), gearbox/transfer case (hard/not meshing properly), clutch (hard/woozy), suspension (noisy/no damping), steering (too much play), cooling system, electricals etc. checked up and overhauled and only then go for the cosmetic bits. No point in getting a pair of track pants and running shoes for a geriatric cardiac patient.

I have the below complaints all other are good.
Overheating
Hard Clutch
Steering Play

6. Click as many snaps as you want to (engine bay, underbody, differential, axles, interiors, bulkhead, etc.) and post them here so that the experts may suggest the appropriate course of action.

Sure will upload tons of pic [:D]

Adding few more pics which i have taken today, the above added pics are taken an year ago.
Will upload all other required pics by tomorrow EOD.

Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 8.15.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 8.15.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 8.19.32 PM.png
IMAG0722.jpg

Attachments

will it go with normal steering or it requires power steering?[/B]
Forget power steering. Stick wih the original setup. The tyres on the front wheel are different from the ones on the rear wheels; and there seems to be a difference in size as well.
I have the below complaints all other are good.
Overheating
Hard Clutch
Steering Play
Overheating - Get the cooling system (radiator, hoses, coolant) checked up for any leaks. If there are no leaks then please get the engine compression checked up. Its a government auction Jeep, I suspect a heavily used, weak engine. Maybe you need to change the head gasket or there could be some other major engine job.

Hard clutch - Clutch on MMs has always been hard. Take opinion from other Jeep users and if you still feel its hard, it could be something as simple as lubricating the clutch spring or as major as a complete clutch overhaul.

Steering play - All MMs have vague steering. Again, take the opinion from other Jeep users. Keep it for later.

Thread Starter #8
Dear all

Mechanical work started, have left the jeep in South indian motors , coimbatore. Have asked them to do a complete work.

Dear Sam,
Plan to stick with normal steering. But how about Scorpio Rims with 16 inch tyres. Any Suggestion?.

Interesting project, good luck with it.
[thumbswink] Great to see your enthusiasm.
Ahh, a roplas top after a long long time, rare stuff to see these days.
Btw can i ask whats your intention with the output - do you intend all show or all go ? Even though the question sounds very pessimistic, but it will have a huge bearing on what you could /shall do.

Dear all

Mechanical work started, have left the jeep in South indian motors , coimbatore. Have asked them to do a complete work.
Please keep a tab on the work. Note down the details of each and every component/part that is repaired or replaced. You will be fleeced royally by the mechanic otherwise. Take someone knowledgeable with you whenever you visit the workshop.

But how about Scorpio Rims with 16 inch tyres. Any Suggestion?.
If I remember correctly, the PCD of MM540 rims is 139.7 while Scorpio rims have a 160 PCD. Scorpio rims hence wont fit on the stock hub and I do not recommend changing the stock hub in order to increase the PCD.

Thread Starter #11
Dear Iron Rock ,
Totally got you point!!
The output should be little show & good go :) !!

Dear Sam,
For sure, its 100% true will make a note of all the details.. Will gather some knowledge to ask some basic questions :)

Hi Rajesh

I am glad to hear that and in which case here is the approach ill suggest :-

1) Stage 1 - Ensuring Mechanical brilliance
Ensure all mechanical /electrical parts including engine,clutch, gearbox, brakes , cooling , transfer case, suspension components etc work fine - it might mean stripping down some of items - do all it takes depending on the physical and performance condition of each of the item. Take advice and double advice's as necessary to validate.

2) Stage 2 - Body Work, Interiors and Painting or related mods
Ensure all rusts etc taken care of , body work is spic and span - stage 1 and 2 can be intermingled to a certain extent when you are stripping down parts. Target should be to get all items in working and intact conditions, seats not squeaky etc etc. Typical fit and finish items and small mods can also fit here. Consider what kind of top do you want as you intend to chuck the roplas.

3) Stage 3 - Specific Add-ons
Consider if you want to install a new bumper or addons line Winch / Anti Roll bars , bigger tires, suspension upgrade etc - I am saying this as stage 3 item since i consider the first two more important. I dont say this is all show, but mechanical brilliance is essential before you invest in add-ons. Whats the point in having a winch or fat tires if the engine breaks down in a trail.

keep posting pics as you continue the work and listen to Sam Dinkar - he believes and lives with the saying old is gold, but beware of the devil in him he will convince you to shoot out of your budgets [evil]:biggrin:

Last edited:
Definitely a good looking car with better potential! If you want to offroad I have a few essentials from my rally days:

1. Fit a very solid underbody shield including a sump guard and protectors for crucial components like fuel and brake lines.
2. Fit heavy duty dampers to help the suspension take the shock if you hit a bump a bit too fast! Offroading is also much more enjoyable when the car isn't bouncing around like a children's toy! [;)]
3. Try shrouding the bumpers in towards the body to increase maximum entry and exit angle.
4. If you're replacing the tyres change to ones with a slightly more aggressive tread pattern, this helps a huge amount off road, and there's not much difference in fuel consumption!
5. Move the air intake to the very top of the bonnet and make sure your engine is leak-tight to allow you to drive in deep water without any problems! IMHO the high grille means that a snorkle is unnecessary, but it's up to you.

You've got my curiosity , I'm going to be watching this build! :lol!:

Thread Starter #14
Dear Viru,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I dont have an idea for off-road now, but will definitely take yours point when planned.

Dear Iron Rock,
The complete Stage 1( as you mentioned above) work is going on now.
The chief mechanic says the engine is in awesome condition and only few mechanical works needs to be taken care off.

Only if i satisfy with the above one i'm moving to Stage 2

Stage 2 - Since i bought this from Tuticorin, there is to much rust in the body and lots of patching work is there. I dont like hard top, planning to strip it down and move to softtop

Tyres - definitely need to change need suggestion in this, How about Gypsy rims and 16" tyres, will it suit any idea please ?

Thread Starter #15
Complete mechanicals works over !! its really awesome now..
South indian motors has done an awesome Job. They have asked another 15 days to wait for the patch work since their workmen are busy now. So planning to do the patch and Rollcage works outside .. Still searching for some one good!!!

How about Gypsy rims and 16" tyres, will it suit any idea please ?
What tyre i can go for. I used to travel only in plains, hill will be once or twice in a year. Very rarely will use for offroading!!

Kindly need your suggestions

Top Bottom