Raid-De-Himalaya Turns 15 – To Race on 2 Highest Mountain Passes

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Be prepared for a thrilling edition of the upcoming Maruti Suzuki Raid De Himalaya rally which turns 15 and is going to take on two highest mountain passes in the world:

> Wari La

> Khardung La

The Raid, the highest motorsport battle arena globally, turns 15 this year. It will run from October 4 to 12. The highest altitude that the Dakar Rally touches is approximately 3,000 feet on a competitive stage. The Raiders will race to Khardung La, at an elevation of 5,602 meters (18,379 feet), and the Wari La, at an elevation of 5,250 meters (17,300 feet) above sea level in Ladakh. In its 14-year history, the Raid has been able to conquer the Khardung La and the Wari La only once. The high mountain passes are marked by such heavy snowfall and blizzards that they have refused to yield way to motorsport enthusiasts from the country and abroad.

Mr Manohar Bhat, Vice President Marketing of Maruti Suzuki, informed that the 15th Maruti Suzuki Raid De Himalaya boasts of the maximum number of competitors ever, and a record number of entries in each category. This year, the Raid will boast of 45 teams in Raid Xtreme (4x4) and over 45 in Raid Xtreme (Motorcycles and Motoquads). Raid Adventure towers the charts, with 70 teams of speed lovers from all corners of the country. Raid Xtreme is all about speed, while Raid Adventure follows the TSD (Time-Speed-Distance) format.

Mr Bhat said that in the last 15 years, this amazing Himalayan challenge has grown exponentially in stature and difficulty. “It is the only Indian motorsport event listed on the off-road rallies calendar of FIA (Federation Internationale Automobile). Our association with the Raid showcases our vision and our commitment to automobile excellence in the country and globally,” he said.
The Raid will begin from Shimla and traverse the difficult stretches of Kaza and the Monastery Necklace, Khardung La and Wari La, and the temperamental Nubra Valley. It will draw to a close at Leh. The Raid is organized by the premier Shimla-based motorsport club, Himalayan Motorsport. Mr Vijay Parmar, President of Himalayan Motorsport, said the Wari La is going to be a highly exacting challenge for the Raiders.

“The Wari La climb happens in 14 kilometers, while the Khardung La climb takes 32 kilometers. The descent is equally steep and rapid into the Nubra Valley. The challenge of the Raid lies in competitive driving at these impossible altitudes, which demand the best from both man and machine,” said Mr Parmar. The Raid will be flagged off by Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Mr Virbhadra Singh. Himchal Pradesh Principal Secretary Tourism Mr VC Pharka yesterday chaired a meeting to ensure complete coordination of all government departments for the smooth running of the Raid.

The issues discussed at the meeting included crowd control by the police during the running of the rally, opening of the roads damaged during the monsoon, arrangement of helicopters for evacuation in case of a medical emergency, re-scheduling of buses so that locals are not inconvenienced and other issues. Senior officials of various departments and top executive members of Himalayan Motorsport Association attended the meeting.
Raid5.JPG

Drive Safe,
350Z

good lord!!![surprise]!!!!! racing at khardung la and wari la.... its going to be one heck of a race. even at our leisurely pace the drive up to the passes was some thing that i would not forget in my life. think of them racing up & down.[clap]

Did I read it correct, RACE [surprise]!! It's hard to crawl in those dreaded mud bath rods, mere thought of racing them has risen my hairs.

Thread Starter #5

350Z

Core Team
CS Santosh, who sustained 3rd degree burns at WRC (Abu Dhabi) in April is coming back with a bang in this event.
Two skin grafts in April and May and other injuries from his mishap at the World Cross Country Rally Championship have not been able to deter Santosh. He is all set to race against the top bikers of the country at the world’s highest rally raid, the Raid De Himalaya, riding a Suzuki 450. The 29-year-old Bangalorean has been a multiple national autocross and motocross champion. Last year, he ranked first in the Raid Xtreme (Moto and Quads) category.

Mr Manohar Bhat, Vice President Marketing of Maruti Suzuki, said that since its inception in 1999, the Raid De Himalaya has grown exponentially in stature and difficulty. “It is the only Indian motorsport event listed on the off-road rallies calendar of FIA (Federation Internationale Automobile) and FIM (Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme). Our rallies now draw the best motorsport talent in the country, and also nurture new talent among youth each year,” he said.

Santosh admits that the Raid is “by far the most painful, physically and mentally demanding rally in this part of the world.” And yet, he can’t wait to be back in Shimla, from where the Maruti Suzuki Raid De Himalaya will be flagged off. “The competitor is the Himalayas. That is the only and the biggest competitor. The rest are all factors. I can size them up. The Himalayas, you can’t size up,” says Santosh.

Maruti Suzuki Raid De Himalaya is organized by Himalayan Motorsport, the premier Shimla-based motorsport club. Vijay Parmar, the president of Himalayan Motorsport, said that coming back for the Raid challenge exhibits Santosh’s super spirit as a sportsman. “Santosh is world-class; probably India’s best biker today. He was running at the 27th position among 64 champion bikers of the world when his bike caught fire, forcing him to withdraw from the desert challenge,” said Parmar.

Meanwhile, the other competitors in the category are all geared up. Dakar finisher and Maruti Suzuki Raid De Himalaya 2011 winner Helly Frauwallner has his eyes firmly set on the Raid crown. The 54-year-old Austrian is seen as something of a legend in international competitive biking. The third formidable competitor in this category is Chandigarh’s Mohit Verma. The 24-year-old won the crown in Rally Xtreme (Moto and Quads) category at the Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm and also The Mughal Rally this year.

Leaving the Dakar Rally behind, the Maruti Suzuki Raid De Himalaya will take on two of the highest mountain passes in the world this year – the Khardung La and the Wari La. The Raid will begin from Shimla and traverse the difficult stretches of Kaza and the Monastery Necklace, Khardung La and Wari La, and the temperamental Nubra Valley. It will draw to a close at Leh.

The 15th Maruti Suzuki Raid De Himalaya boasts of the maximum number of competitors ever, and a record number of entries in each category. This year, the Raid will boast of 45 teams in Raid Xtreme (4x4) and over 45 in Raid Xtreme (Motorcycles and Motoquads). Raid Adventure towers the charts, with 70 teams of speed lovers from all corners of the country. For all these die-hard rallyists, it is going to be a straight fight over six days through one of the most inhospitable competitive terrains in the world.
Maruti-Suzuki-Raid-De-Himalaya.jpg

Maruti-Suzuki-Raid-De-Himalaya-Bikes.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Feeling proud that my city is the organizer of this RAID-DE-HIMALAYA from last 14 years. Even racers with their awesome modified rides have started showing their presence in queen of hills. Will try to contribute with pictures to this thread. I was and still i am a great fan of this rally from my childhood. [:D]

Sorry for not posting images earlier as i was out of town at the time of flag off. ( my bad luck [cry] )Got some pics from friends who were there at that time.
And the picture posted by 350Z of Vitara with 01 number belongs to 8 times winner of raid-de-himalaya Mr. SURESH RANA. here are few from my side.

Attachments

Few more pictures during their RAID journey!!! [:D] [clap]

Attachments

Top Bottom