Gypsy Love Again: Looking For a Used Gypsy

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone,
After finding lot more gypsy lovers here i also want have to have fun
for 80% on road & 20% Off-road. So want to have a Gypsy as i am new to this forum, required your help to purchase & modification of old gypsy.

I currently liked to gypsy here. 1) is 1992 MG410 model working condition (passing Chandigarh)(Open at back) with price of 80thosand with 2 wheal drive,AC(not working), Stereo includes sub woofer (Amplifier required), Needs to do some engine work (Oil pushing upword(not got exactly word), Body work needed with feeling & painting , New Yokohama tyre with old alloys, Excaust changed(Sound nice), Back seat in bad condition, Some interior change required.

2)Is 1995 MG410W model working condition (Soft top) with price of 110 thosand, Engine is in good condition, needs to change tyre, Body work needed with painting, Needs some work on Back seat with new soft top, Some interior change required.

As I write things that I plan to do, please keep in mind that I am not an expert in automobile engineering but an automobile enthusiast, hence would request you all for your suggestions & guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Gypsy Love Again!

Well, whats the point in buying a Gypsy without a transfer case and differential? You must look at a used MPFI Gypsy King with working 4x4 mechanism (MG413W). Avoid the carb models. You may have to hunt hard as vehicles in good conditions would generally be owned by enthusiasts who would not part with them easily. Do not fall for a vehicle registered outside your state, it's just not worth it.

Thread Starter #3
@ sam dinkar, thanks for reply,
But is it possible to change it from 2x2 to 4x4 with some work. as I ask them he suggest me to go kurla(Mumbai) to buy this would cost it hardly 5 to 7thousand. seller has removed this & currently vehicle is in Mumbai & also taken ride of it.

I search hard but not got after 1998 model with good condition. if it is there he demands 2 to 2.5 lacs.

Since all Gypsies came with a 4x4 transfer case and differential, it is merely a matter of re-installing the removed differential and transfer case to a Gypsy from which they were removed. I would not suggest you to get into all of this as one can never be sure of reliability of such a job (though its a pretty straightforward task). Roadside mechanics can never match factory fit. Please look hard and find a Gypsy in its original shape. There is very little point in going for a MG410/MG410W as it'd be difficult to source spares for the engine (a 15 year old engine is a 15 year old engine after all).

Look for a MG413W MPFI. The additional cash that you will spend on it would be absolutely worth it.

Regards,
Sam

One could only imagine how a Gypsy with 'Piston Breakers' mentioned on its bonnet would have been driven by its previous owner!

The body line seems okay. The front suspension is shot. Please post more snaps of the engine and the body from various angles. Check if the tail gate hinges are rusted.

Gypsies have analogue odometers that could be tampered with very easily. As a general rule I would always be triple cautious while buying a 4x4 from a used car dealer.

Thread Starter #7
Guys, I searched one 1986 model jeep working condition with Enter engine having 3 gears only( not 4*4).
Need your help boys as I am not having any information about this engine & jeep. Is the parts available?

Thread Starter #8
Boys it Inter not Enter engine. Sorry for this.
Owner says this engine used for tractor also at that time.

That's a Mahindra CJ with the International Harvester 35 bhp engine. The tractor in which this engine was fitted was known as Inter or Lal (Red) Inter (Inter = International) and the same engine made its way into the CJ.

Stay away.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
@mastersquall, thanks for advice but I really want to have one Gypsy with complete restoration done(I also not want to go to garage every Sunday :))
As Sam Dinkar suggested currently i m looking for MG413W MPFI. pls give me best of luck for this.

As long as you restore it properly no problem.
My advice get 410W hardly cost 50k then replace it engine with not so old engine like 2011-2012 413w.
Great thing only bonnet change requires.

Thread Starter #15
@mastersquall: are you kidding? 410W for 50k? No boss, not possible in Mumbai as i already searched for.
some bad conditioned MG410 (1991-1995) is selling for above 80k here.

Top Bottom