Taking the Plunge - Buying a 4x4

Thread Starter #1
My first Jeep experience was when I was a kid. My uncle used to work for a mining company and all the vehicles used were Jeeps. My uncle's vehicle was a CJ3B RHD with the Hurricane petrol engine (I didn't know that then. To me it was just a Jeep). It was grey in colour with a white Roplas top. There was also a similar Red Willys LHD with a metal top which he used sometimes. We travelled all over Goa in those Jeeps but never off-road, except on one ocassion when we went to see a barge which got grounded in the river. Later on the Gypsy was launched and I wanted one but could not afford it. I actually wanted the Gypsy because it looked cool. I never thought it could go off-road. Fast forward to 2011 and I got a chance to attend the Mahindra Great Escape in my friends MM550. We had a nice time and by the end of the event we managed to blow the head gasket and had to be towed back by another friends Thar. That was my first experience of the Thar. Was was first experience of towing (on land) too. Due to my job, I at least know the safety aspect when it comes to towing (see I actually know something that can be used during off-roading). Well that about all I know. I don't even know how to engage 4WD without using a mobile phone.
Well to cut a long story short; "I need to buy a 4x4"!
I've already exchanged a few PM's with Frankenstein for some advice and I'm looking for more inputs fro other Jeeper's / Off-Roaders here.

Some Basics:
- The vehicle will not be a daily driver. I already have a car for that.
- Initially I won't be doing any hardcore off-roading but plan to do so eventually once I gain the skills.
- The Jeep has to look good.
- I don't want to spend absurd amounts of money but I'm willing to do where required.
- My basic preference is for a MM540 family vehicle but open to other vehicles too.
- I am allergic to Maruti but can make an exception for the Gypsy.
- Be prepared to do some explaining in simple language as I'm not very good at the technical stuff.

Must haves:
- Good Paint Job.
- Comfortable seats.
- Seatbelts.
- Roll cage.
- MT or AT Tyres.

Would like to have:
- Alloys / Army Rims / Other non-standard steel rims.
- LSD (Don't know why but I guess it's good).
- 57"OKBJ front and 53" FFRA (Again don't exactly know what it is and how it is different from the original option).
- MCRBT or PS (Have no problem if the PS unit sticks out).
- AC
- Spare wheel frame.
- Wrangler Tail Lamps.
- High Lift Jack (Someone please explain the use).
- Winch.
- Snorkel.
- Goa Registration.

I am willing to do the mods / additions in stages.

Now the options I have are:
- New Thar CRDe.
- 2nd Hand Thar CRDe (Need to find 1).
- New Thar Di.
- 2nd Hand Thar Di /M2Di ( There is 1 available).
- Ex-Army MM550 ( There is 1 available).
- Civilian MM540 / 550 4WD (Need to find 1).
- 2 WD MM540 and convert to 4WD (2WD MM540's are easy to find).
- Older Mahindra CJ or CL series.
- Bolero Camper (Need to find a way to register it in Kerala - White Plate).
- 2nd Hand Bolero 4WD.
- New Scorpio 4WD base model.
- New Maruti Gypsy.
- 2nd Hand Maruti Gypsy (Usually overpriced).
- New Gurkha.
- 2nd Hand Gurkha / Judo (Difficult to find).
- TATA Xenon.

The MM540 series can be classified into 4 distinct production variations
1) 1985-87??89 - The first batch of the MM540 they were built on CJ500D chassis with a 43/8 (petrol hurricane) differential ratio.
Features XD4.9P 2.2L Diesel Engine.
Rounded Bumpers ala CJ340 with diesel tank filler at the Back (RHS)
Also the MM440 with F4-134 Hurricane.

2) 1987??89-1994 - The second batch of the MM540 had a flat belt like bumpers and the with diesel tank filler on the RHS. The differential ratio changed to 44/9. Engine remained the same

3) 1995-2000 - The XD3P was introduced in the MM540 along with a weaker new chassis which doesnot have the "V" crossmember at the back to fit the towing hook.

4) 2000 - The new look MM540 & MM550 was introduced.

Thread Starter #4
What is your budget man? There is a huge price difference in xenon and used gypsy.
Budget is variable. If buying new, I can always get finance. I will still have to spend on mods and additions though. My budget is more or lest equal to the actual cost of the vehicle or additions. So for an old vehicle 1-3L and new 6-11L

The MM540 series can be classified into 4 distinct production variations
1) 1985-87??89 - The first batch of the MM540 they were built on CJ500D chassis with a 43/8 (petrol hurricane) differential ratio.
Features XD4.9P 2.2L Diesel Engine.
Rounded Bumpers ala CJ340 with diesel tank filler at the Back (RHS)
Also the MM440 with F4-134 Hurricane.

2) 1987??89-1994 - The second batch of the MM540 had a flat belt like bumpers and the with diesel tank filler on the RHS. The differential ratio changed to 44/9. Engine remained the same

3) 1995-2000 - The XD3P was introduced in the MM540 along with a weaker new chassis which doesnot have the "V" crossmember at the back to fit the towing hook.

4) 2000 - The new look MM540 & MM550 was introduced.
Didn't know that.

All the best for your search Peter! I am hooked to this thread now. I am eagerly waiting to know which one will be entering your garage. I would suggest you a Thar.

OT: I always wanted something like these in my garage.[:D] BTW are you thinking the same? :biggrin:

533742_449238275112239_1670352704_n.jpg
Pic Source: Facebook.

Last edited:
Since its more of a weekend car,dont spend a lot of money on it. Second Hand thar makes sense. Gypsy is good but not sure about reliability.

Thread Starter #7
All the best for your search Peter! I am hooked to this thread now. I am eagerly waiting to know which one will be entering your garage. I would suggest you a Thar.
I am more inclined towards a Thar /MM550.

I always wanted something like these in my garage.[:D] BTW are you thinking the same?
Those are Dabwali creations. All show and no go. I want a real off-roader. It has to be 4WD. These Jeeps are 2WD.

Since its more of a weekend car,dont spend a lot of money on it. Second Hand thar makes sense. Gypsy is good but not sure about reliability.
That's what I was thinking too.

Peter,I know you don't like the looks of Force Gurkha,but still I would ask you to give it a try.The new Gurkha is coming very soon,go and take a TD.If you like then buy it else THAR and MM550 are always there for you.

+100 Xover, P3T3R i suggest you wait a little bit for the new Gurkha, TD it and then make your decision. I am kind of in a similar thinking mode as you, currently waiting for the Gurkha after which will make up my mind.

Last edited:
+100 Xover, P3TR i suggest you wait a little bit for the new Gurkha, TD it and then make your decision. I am kind of in a similar thinking mode as you, currently waiting for the Gurkha after which will make up my mind.
OT: So Storme 4x4 is dumped by you.Shame on Tata for not offering 4x4 in LX trim.[embarass]

BTW,IR someone informed that now 4x4 is available on order, in the EX trim,please confirm with your dealer whether they are willing to offer 4x4 on lx trim or not even if it's built on order.

Anyways,even if you go for Gurkha I won't be disappointed looking at its off-road credentials.[clap]

Nope I havent dumped the Storme 4x4 , well its a tricky proposition for me, my requirement is to have an offroader (loud and clear) - but Storme 4x4 at 16 lakhs to me doesnt sound meaty(especially as its very basic) - Gurkha on the other hand will be basic as well but priced well under and offcourse much much more capable offroad in stock form.
All depends on how Lx 4x4 is priced vis a vis the New Gurkha. May be i could compromise a bit of off road credentials(knowing pretty well what the stock Storme can and cannot do) if the pricing is closer and think about Storme.

On the other side i am also tempted by the Pajero Sport - ill rather go all out or go for the most basic one. Its tricky and confusing hence. Hence i havent made up my mind yet.

P3T3R - sorry for our OT on your thread.

Last edited:
I personally like the looks of Gurkha better than others. And Endless modifications you can apply on the same. TAI member Dr. Mohan (Although I am not sure if he is the same Dr. Mohan from other forum) have a great Gurkha which he have modified, I have seen his thread on other forum (dedicated to 4 WD vehicles). You can have many required inputs from him.

Force-Gurkha.jpg

O_O you have question about reliability of gypsy buddy where thar engine gave up gypsy still kept going . This is reason gypsy is major choice when it comes reliable machine . Gypsy owner enjoy Sunday at home compare to jeep owner in garage ( personal experience with my 8friends)

Top Bottom