Force Trax Gurkha or Mahindra Thar - Which is Better Off-Roader?

Which is the best Off-roader

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Reading the post of our dear mod @Iron Rock,I realized that somehow there is definite market for a compact 4 seater rugged off-roader.Ever since this thought had its first inception inside my mind,I haven't been able to find out which is better 4x4 vehicle.

1.The famous Mahindra Thar(my favourite Mahindra vehicle[:)])or,

2. The unknown but extremely capable Force Trax Gurkha.

What say 4x4 experts,especially Sam Dinkar,Iron Rock,TSIVipul,mastersquall and 350Z(surprise -surprise even our leader once told me that he is also into camping and looking for a rugged 4x4 Jeep Wrangler sorta vehicle!!).

So what do the experts of our forum think regarding these two vehicles??

PS: I hope somehow the great Dhabhar Behram sees this thread and joins our forum to explain more about THAR'S 4X4 prowess:biggrin:.

THE X-OVER

Thread Starter #2
Re: Which is a better Off-roader: Force Trax Gurkha or Mahindra Thar

Is it true that Thar has got no Limited Slip Differential? If yes then how much will it cost it during extreme off-road session vis-a-vis Trax Gurkha?

how to recast my vote, after reading about Force Trax Gurkha I changed my mind and admitting powers of this vehicle.

Force Gurkha any day for me.
When it comes to off-road performance, nothing comes close.

ahh Xover i suspected you will post such a cruel thread :)
Tough one this especially as the Thar has a more advanced CRDe engine now as the older gurkha is DI. Hope the Gurkha CRDe arrives soon.

Comparing the DI versions, the Gurkha is an easy winner from an offroading perspective.
Thar has an open diff from what i can remember though most hard core offroaders will use a aftermarket lock. The Gurkha already has stock front and rear locking capability.

EDIT:- Also has much more GC[:)]

LSD are cheap but will require regular attention if you are offroading a lot hence offroaders prefer lockable differentials.

Anyways for me all in all it will still be the Gurkha (with the new version out soon i will be all the more in its favour ). Its more practical on road as well though one has to live with small niggles and rattles and non existent Force A.S.S

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7

IR: Thar has got the legacy and pedigree of the best off-roaders the world has ever seen(sorry Defender,but I think Vintage Jeeps are the best!!),so does only the front and rear differential locks will make Trax Gurkha a more capable 4x4 vehicle than Thar that's the question in my mind?

Agreed the thar has a proven lineage and also on paper the crde is more powerful than the Gurkha DI but for me Gurkha with just replacing the stock tyres becomes good enough for offroading as well as every day use, whereas the Thar will need a lot more than that.

Thats why i said its a cruel comparison, i would love to have one of each.:biggrin:

Obviously for something thats based on a Gwagon, it has to be superb. Ghurkha for me. Its also different and a gem to tune.

Thread Starter #12
Vyasvivek wrote:Why not include the evergreen gypsy in this tread???
Forget about Gypsy,why don't you first start the ownership review of your 24 carat Sumo GOLD,here:Ownership Reviews.

It would be the first comprehensive ownership review of Sumo GOLD,not only in TAI but in other major forums as well.What say?

Now coming back to your question about why no Gypsy in this comparo?

Well did you see IR's allusion about this thread as being cruel.Why would he say so?

Because its actually a battle not between a Mahindra or Force jeep,but actually two legendary traditions:

1.On the one hand you have the vintage American jeep tradition(Thar is based upon old jeeps,same chassis et al)

2.While on the other you have the Euro tradition of off-roading as Force Trax Gurkha is based upon old Merc G-Wagen.

It actually not picking between these two vehicles that's tough but picking and siding with any of the above tradition.

Hence IR said that this is a cruel thread.

Gypsy has indeed great legacy,but ask yourself a serious question is it even worthy enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as a G-Wagen or a Wrangler??

NOTE: The G-Wagen and Wrangler reference was only an allusion to explain legacy of Trax and THAR!! Nothing more should be made out of it.[:)]

THE X-OVER

Thar is a lifestyle offroader. To be precise softcore offroader.I have not experience too much travelling init but by gesture of it doesnt apeals like that of a real one.

I dont like turbo engines in offroaders.period.
Low end torque should be extreme.
one of my ford ranger is NA disal 2.6l,man it likes bushes and rocks more than tarmac.ranger 3l tdci sux turbo needs spinning up frequently.
a query, what is RFW seen on my car.I am asked to toggle off RFW switch after done with 4x4 .

Top Bottom